Welcome To aBlackWeb

HipHop Hasn't Done Anything Good For Black People

That's your opinion based on what you see. You can't speak for me of anyone else on the hip hop we consume.

Another thread with titinographs will be made again.... When we all know the art we as individuals consume is subjective and a case of preference

Y'all anger and beef should be with radio broadcasting corporations who promote negativity on air rather than positivity (Latto or Megan than Rhapsody)

Some of the takes in this thread highly unintelligent (middle income black school kids LOL) and absolutely tragic

As for me... Hip-hop has saved my life... It's a fuel for my soul so to speak daily... can't live without it

Ok, I understand that. That's why I ask for clarity if I may be missing the mark. Instead, I get a bunch of "you know what he means " post from people. Or indirect post.

I wouldn't play certain artist for kids. Most definitely. Lots of Hip hop has encouraged drug use. Has given some women false ideas of their bodies. Lots of Hip hop does promote harm to others. Now what? If we remove hip hop culture, i wonder how big of a change that will make black folks lives.

The "down playing " part I feel is incorrect. I think this is where the miscommunication comes from. Lots of blanket statements are being made so people correct it. Why is it hard to be clear in one's message? Just take accountability and say " what I mean to say" or something comparable if your intent is being lost.

I really wasn't gonna jump in cause I agree with both sides. Only reason I jumped in was that school comment way back. No need to bring it back.

Everything else stated, I saw on both sides. But I enjoyed the debate thus far.

"That’s peace" as the people say
Bro you acknowledged that as a kid you saw kung fu movies and that made you want to try Kung fu because the imagery captivated you.

Is it unreasonable to imagine that a kid would see the imagery of NBA Youngboy music videos and be equally captivated? Combine this with the fact that they might live in an environment that has the conditions already conducive to creating criminality.

I genuinely want to understand your point of view. Y’all don’t think ANY at-risk kids are being negatively swayed by the pervasiveness of such imagery in Hip-Hop culture? It’s not all of Hip-Hop— there’s artists that give off great imagery, cool.

But a substantial amount are undoubtedly a negative influence, right?

Another thread with titinographs will be made again.... When we all know the art we as individuals consume is subjective and a case of preference

Y'all anger and beef should be with radio broadcasting corporations who promote negativity on air rather than positivity (Latto or Megan than Rhapsody)

Some of the takes in this thread highly unintelligent (middle income black school kids LOL) and absolutely tragic

As for me... Hip-hop has saved my life... It's a fuel for my soul so to speak daily... can't live without it

I think the take about school performance went over your head. But I think you may be too biased to hear what I was trying to say.

Bro you acknowledged that as a kid you saw kung fu movies and that made you want to try Kung fu because the imagery captivated you.

Is it unreasonable to imagine that a kid would see the imagery of NBA Youngboy music videos and be equally captivated? Combine this with the fact that they might live in an environment that has the conditions already conducive to creating criminality.

I genuinely want to understand your point of view. Y’all don’t think ANY at-risk kids are being negatively swayed by the pervasiveness of such imagery in Hip-Hop culture? It’s not all of Hip-Hop— there’s artists that give off great imagery, cool.

folks have said numerous times there are certain types of music, movies & shows.. that kids shouldn't have access to

I think the take about school performance went over your head. But I think you may be too biased to hear what I was trying to say.

I'm African and actually became a Hip-hop fan in secondary (high) school back in Nigeria...

Naughty By Nature... Old recorded VHS tapes of MTV Yo Raps! early 90s ('92 to be exact) Remember that...?

Looks like I came out good
:icu:

Some of the greatest Hip-hop artistes y'all stan for from Jigga to NaS to UGK to Mobb Deep to Snoop etc and I'm not talking about these new niggaz who came up in the 2000s...

ALL have songs with lyrics depicting sexual promiscuity, murder, drug dealing, excessive materialistic worship etc

But but HIP-HOP

I'm African and actually became a Hip-hop fan in secondary (high) school back in Nigeria...

Naughty By Nature... Old recorded VHS tapes of MTV Yo Raps! early 90s ('92 to be exact) Remember that...?

Looks like I came out good
:icu:

Show me where I said rap music causes students to perform poorly. I extend this challenge to anybody in this thread.

If skills sold, truth be told
I'd probably be lyrically Talib Kweli
Truthfully I want to rhyme like Common Sense (But I did five Mil)
I ain't been rhyming like Common since.

A rapper generally viewed as the greatest of all time spat those lyrics on a record . .. essentially saying he'd rather be commercial and drop music to satisfy the masses than 'kick knowledge' and positivity

A host of rappers from New York branded The Native Tongues were prominent at the time as well but their own radio play got shunted cos they were 'corny or boring'

Y'all again should know who to put the blame on ... The mediums and corporations who push negative and shallow Hip-hop music to the streets of America and the larger world... And not the culture itself LOL

Arguments all the way azz backwards

Right? Right 👍

Y'all can carry on...

If skills sold, truth be told
I'd probably be lyrically Talib Kweli
Truthfully I want to rhyme like Common Sense (But I did five Mil)
I ain't been rhyming like Common since.

A rapper generally viewed as the greatest of all time spat those lyrics on a record . .. essentially saying he'd rather be commercial and drop music to satisfy the masses than 'kick knowledge' and positivity

A host of rappers from New York branded The Native Tongues were prominent at the time as well but their own radio play got shunted cos they were 'corny or boring'

Y'all again should know who to put the blame on ... The mediums and corporations who push negative and shallow Hip-hop music to the streets of America and the larger world... And not the culture itself LOL

Arguments all the way azz backwards

Right? Right 👍

Y'all can carry on...

You just killed your own argument referencing Native Tongues. According to you, they were deemed “corny” or “boring”….

Who deemed them corny? The record labels that signed them? Or the “culture” that preferred to back a rapper like Jay-Z who rapped about the streets?

Show me where I said rap music causes students to perform poorly. I extend this challenge to anybody in this thread.

challenge-accepted-challenge.gif

Second, I haven’t watched the video posted yet but I can assure you the book goes into more detail than a 6 min video can. He interviews hundreds of students and a large part of it is academic disengagement inspired by a culture that doesn’t hold academic institutions in high regard.

This book covers one school in Ohio-fair point. But I can assure you the trend can be observed across the country. If you want me to pull census data to make my case I can (even though I have a feeling y’all will just disregard it).

The fact is this: In general, Black middle class students in middle class Black areas don’t perform as well as white middle class students in middle class white areas.

I don’t KNOW why that is but yes my OPINION is that it’s because the majority of Black young people subscribe to a culture (Hip-Hop) that does not value academic achievement. This is in contrast to a group like Asians, where you could ask 100 of them and find 0 of them trying to make it to the NBA, or working on a mixtape.

I agreed with you. If it wasn't clear, I agree it can and has influenced many.

We've reached the "I'm more right than you are" segment of the thread and all of the progress that has been made in terms of seeing both sides of the discussion pov have been reduced to semantics and not wanting to concede that perhaps your original positions may not be so black and white

Travonne_0_20240825_113431.gif

We've reached the "I'm more right than you are" segment of the thread and all of the progress that has been made in terms of seeing both sides of the discussion pov have been reduced to semantics and not wanting to concede that perhaps your original positions may not be so black and white

View attachment 1369987
I’ve said from the beginning I was talking about Hip-Hop CULTURE, hence my adamant fixation on defining its values.

The consistent straw man has been to misconstrue what I’m saying as saying “rap music is making Black people dumb”.

That’s why when I say “find me saying anything close to listening to rap music is causing students to fail”

@Revolver Ocelot finds a quote of me saying explicitly “subscribing to a CULTURE”, and they can applaud like he caught me…lol no.

There’s a genre of music called Hip-Hop, it’s also known as rap music. That music is ONE aspect of a culture known as Hip-Hop. Listening to music doesn’t mean you subscribe to the values,norms, and mores of the culture from which it came.

They know this…but ironically when it’s time to recognize “nuance” now they don’t.

I’ve said from the beginning I was talking about Hip-Hop CULTURE, hence my adamant fixation on defining its values.

The consistent straw man has been to misconstrue what I’m saying as saying “rap music is making Black people dumb”.

That’s why when I say “find me saying anything close to listening to rap music is causing students to fail”

@Revolver Ocelot finds a quote of me saying explicitly “subscribing to a CULTURE”, and they can applaud like he caught me…lol no.

There’s a genre of music called Hip-Hop, it’s also known as rap music. That music is ONE aspect of a culture known as Hip-Hop. Listening to music doesn’t mean you subscribe to the values,norms, and mores of the culture from which it came.

They know this…but ironically when it’s time to recognize “nuance” now they don’t.

moving-goal-posts-down-the-field.gif

Nigga rap music is what the thread is about.

You not talking about breakdancing

You not talking about graffiti

You not talking about DJing

You talking about rap music

The one here talking semantics is you.

Back