Welcome To aBlackWeb

HipHop Hasn't Done Anything Good For Black People

And then turned around and had gang members on stage during Juneteenth.

While doing numerous songs with artist that rap about the same shit he was so call calling out.

had Kodak black all over his last album like he ain’t a predator

View attachment 1368829

he just as fake as the dude he’s “calling out”

Even though that material shit or substance had anything to do with him and the rest of them dudes going at drake

View attachment 1368829

Like me and @TTBF said, Kendrick did a great job of convincing folks that he’s more like us than he is like drake. Even though they very much had more in common

View attachment 1368829

I lobbed the same criticism at him in the beef thread. Never said Kendrick was perfect but he is an example of somebody who does speak about many of the things that have been said to have not been topics. And he does it consistently and has made it to the top of his craft while speaking and making art that goes against many of the things said in this thread

No that's called reality being different from what you perceived it to be

If one of my critiques is that Hip-Hop culture normalizes and promotes discord among Black people as opposed to unity, you pulling a song that’s about one Black man with a platform trying to destroy the brand of another Black man with a platform ain’t really disproving that.

Those were the 5 essential elements at its inception sure, but the culture (as cultures tend to do) evolved.

I don’t think you or anybody here would argue that those are the ONLY elements, for instance in 2024 fashion is a huge part of hip-hop.

Also, what nobody readily considers is what language says about a culture’s values.

In hip-hop culture how many ways are there to describe murder using slang?

Clapped, bodied, merked, drilled, spin the block etc.

How many words are there for starting a business?

How many words are there for books?

How many words are there for guns and their accessories?
Tool, hammer, chopper, yopper, blicky, extendo, dick etc.

This is an undeniable indication of values, priorities, and what’s generally accepted and elevated in the culture.

How many slang words in Hip-Hop are there for rape?

Not many—because rape isn’t socially accepted or valued in Hip-Hop culture. Violence is, drug dealing, and promiscuity is.

So many slang terms in Hip-Hop around promiscuity intersect with violence:

Shoot the club up, catch a body, body count etc.

In order to defend the impact of Hip-Hop you have to be dishonest about what contemporary Hip-Hop is by intentionally narrowing its scope and influence for the sake of argument.

We have to pretend that street/trap/gangbanging culture doesnt influence Hip-Hop and that there isn’t a 2 way relationship between them.

We also have to pretend that the values of hip-hop are really just emblematic of American culture and that if you go into any ethnic enclave or neighborhood the convos and values will be generally be the same. That’s false.

Hip-Hop wouldn’t be the predominant culture of a Christian Rapper — the church would be. His music would reflect Christian values moreso than the values of hip-hop. Rap music would just be the medium.

Hip-Hop IS the predominant culture of Black American youth. To say otherwise is to be disingenuous.

Slang for murder and drugs was created from the streets as code words to try not to get caught by the cops or other authority that may be listening. Not really a good comparison for the reason there are no slang words for books or starting a business and etc.

Before each word became popular, cops had to figure out such words as "yayo" was cocaine.

Slang for murder and drugs was created from the streets as code words to try not to get caught by the cops or other authority that may be listening. Not really a good comparison for the reason there are no slang words for books or starting a business and etc.

Before each word became popular, cops had to figure out such words as "yayo" was cocaine.
Then how do you explain the slang around:

Materialism: rollie, whip(whipping), chain, kicks, uptowns(Air Force Ones), Mikes (Jordans) , etc.

Promiscuity: smash, hit, buss down, sidechick, side piece etc.

Getting incarcerated: catch a case, do a bid, get football numbers

Going to college:?
Books:?

If education was such a value of Hip-Hop it would reflect in the language. Blackrain made the case that entrepreneurship is a value of Hip Hop and I have to agree with that. It’s also reflected in slang: bossin’up, hustlin, boss shit, big dog , etc.

But even broader American culture has slang related to education; if you do well on a school exam you “aced” the exam. If you give a good effort, you “gave it the college try”.

Hip-Hop culture has none of that, because it’s not focused on that.

Y’all being slippery.

Materialism: rollie, whip(whipping), chain, kicks, uptowns(Air Force Ones), Mikes (Jordans) , etc.

If education was such a value of Hip-Hop it would reflect in the language. Blackrain made the case that entrepreneurship is a value of Hip Hop and I have to agree with that. It’s also reflected in slang: bossin’up, hustlin, boss shit, big dog , etc.

But even broader American culture has slang related to education; if you do well on a school exam you “aced” the exam. If you give a good effort, you “gave it the college try”.

Y’all being slippery.
I have no explanation on why slang terms are created in regards to your examples of materialism and promiscuity. But the slang terms don't sound too far from the orginal name. Rolex = rollie. Smash= two bodies together involved in sex.

Does any other "culture" have alternate names for books or going to college?

I do agree that things evolve and hip hop is not just the orginal elements it use to be.

Y’all being slippery.
IMG_9417.gif

If one of my critiques is that Hip-Hop culture normalizes and promotes discord among Black people as opposed to unity, you pulling a song that’s about one Black man with a platform trying to destroy the brand of another Black man with a platform ain’t really disproving that.

The song was done in furtherance of calling out and criticizing one of the biggest critiques lobbed at hip hop and rap music in this thread and overall. So it actually can be used to prove the point of upholding certain norms and values that Kendrick saw being disregarded and disrespected.

Y’all being slippery.

So now you understand that American culture also influences hip hop. Also just because you don't know the answer to a question doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You also once again proved you have no point finding the bad but somehow struggle to see any good because there's answers to your questions you couldn't find words for

Y’all being slippery.

This is a terrible take. What’s the slang word for book? There is not one that I have ever heard.

This is a terrible take. What’s the slang word for book? There is not one

Did you genuinely miss my point or are you intentionally missing my point?

Also you have a worse take. No other culture had a slang term for the unwed mother of a child either(baby momma, bm) but Hip-Hop found a way.

Also, no other culture had slang terms for the women you’re smashing outside of your committed relationship (sidepiece).

So now you understand that American culture also influences hip hop. Also just because you don't know the answer to a question doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You also once again proved you have no point finding the bad but somehow struggle to see any good because there's answers to your questions you couldn't find words for
And aspects of American culture also promote self destructive behavior with tangible consequences (ie. Consumerism leading to credit card debt). But that’s just more what aboutism.

At this point I’m not trying to convince anybody of anything I’m just enjoying the mental gymnastics required to type some of the things y’all are typing lol.

Did you genuinely miss my point or are you intentionally missing my point?

Also you have a worse take. No other culture had a slang term for the unwed mother of a child either(baby momma, bm) but Hip-Hop found a way.

Also, no other culture had slang terms for the women you’re smashing outside of your committed relationship (sidepiece).

Is this opinion or is this fact? I guess it is facts since you know all cultures.

Do you really want to die on the hill that hip hop culture is the only culture to have words to describe someone your smashing outside of your committed relationship?

Is this opinion or is this fact? I guess it is facts since you know all cultures.

Do you really want to die on the hill that hip hop culture is the only culture to have words to describe someone your smashing outside of your committed relationship?
Why does it matter what other cultures are doing?

Debate started good in the thread but now the shit getting dumb.

Waiting for hip hop to be tied to Flint, Michigan's water problem.

" Cause of Hip hop, it stopped black kids from being civil engineers. If we had those civil engineers, they would have made sure the infrastructure was up to par before switching water sources. That is what caused the water issue."

:think2:

Back