Welcome To aBlackWeb

HipHop Hasn't Done Anything Good For Black People

Can a song brighten your day?
Can a song set the mood for you and your GF?
Can song make you want to dance?
Can a song inspire you to be great?

I’m on record saying the spoken word is the most powerful tool in the world
Good or bad.
So I was right

🫱🏿‍🫲🏾

Shiiiiit you ain’t lying, I just wasn’t even tryna take it there 😂. We all know music can motivate and that motivation ain’t always positive.

But for the sake of argument I’m sure the next case is gonna be that what you consume doesn’t affect your psyche or subconscious in anyway.

Making up shit nobody says really doesn't help your stance

“Rap” is not a culture, It’s a thing people do as a subset of hip hop (the culture) A skill that can be practiced. Theres a structure and format that for the most part must be followed to even be considered “rap”. It’s a medium in which people communicate and convey ideas, or tell stories.

What you @Dwayne, have a problem with is subject matter.

Ive been in the same situation and aint shit happen....Sure music can dictate the mood to some extent but you and I both know... niggas that wanna fight are gonna find an excuse to fight no matter the soundtrack.. Fights can break out while slow jams and rnb are playing too 🤣

I seen my cousin let off on niggas blasting “Sexual Healing” by Marvin Gaye in his car. pause.

I heard stories about him knocking niggas out in the pen, and go back to his cell singin “Cater to you” by Beyoncé.

It ain’t about rap or hip hop, some of these niggas just psychopaths.

Lol no you didn’t. I’ve responded to all this shit being said.

To your question of does hip hop provide a counter to the ills of the Black community. Yes it does and some of those things were listed yet dismissed as "individual benefits". And that is the same thing those ills you listed can be seen as too. As not everyone or even the majority of folks who engage in hip hop, whether through music, grafitti, TV, movies etc reflect those ills. You've got plenty of people within hip hop who do promote and engage in things that promote family units, entrepreneurship, education, peace and community building, and many other things. It offers those who choose to a chance in many areas and careers that some may not have even been aware of existed.

You even highlighted it. You just only picked out 1 word. Benefits other than entrepreneurship. Now if you're talking entrepreneurship in general than that's also answered with the last sentence. Exposure to things people may not have even been aware of as career options to explore and create businesses around.

“Rap” is not a culture, It’s a thing people do as a subset of hip hop (the culture) A skill that can be practiced. Theres a structure and format that for the most part must be followed to even be considered “rap”. It’s a medium in which people communicate and convey ideas, or tell stories.

What you @Dwayne, have a problem with is subject matter.

I seen my cousin let off on niggas blasting “Sexual Healing” by Marvin Gaye in his car. pause.

I heard stories about him knocking niggas out in the pen, and go back to his cell singin “Cater to you” by Beyoncé.

It ain’t about rap or hip hop, some of these niggas just psychopaths.
All that’s rap culture

Just because you don’t want it to be don’t make it that way.

You even highlighted it. You just only picked out 1 word. Benefits other than entrepreneurship. Now if you're talking entrepreneurship in general than that's also answered with the last sentence. Exposure to things people may not have even been aware of as career options to explore and create businesses around.

Saying there are people involved in Hip-Hop that promote xyz is not the same as saying that xyz is a value of hip-hop culture.

You’re being slippery again lol.

IMG_3234.jpeg

What social behaviors, institutions, norms, beliefs etc. do you attribute to Hip-Hop culture???

Saying there are people involved in Hip-Hop that promote xyz is not the same as saying that xyz is a value of hip-hop culture.

You’re being slippery again lol.

View attachment 1366873

What social behaviors, institutions, norms, beliefs etc. do you attribute to Hip-Hop culture???

Those are some of the cultural norms. You just don't want anything seen as positive associated with hip hop. Importance of education, community, freedom of expression, family are all consistent themes throughout the history of hip hop no matter whether through music, movies, fashion, speech and all other ways people express and show they're part of a culture.

Those are some of the cultural norms. You just don't want anything seen as positive associated with hip hop. Importance of education, community, freedom of expression, family are all consistent themes throughout the history of hip hop no matter whether through music, movies, fashion, speech and all other ways people express and show they're part of a culture.
Bolded is not true, I already conceded entrepreneurship is a value of hip hop and that’s undoubtedly positive.

So according to you, Hip-Hop culture stresses the importance of education, the importance of community, freedom of expression, and the importance of family? That’s what your telling me, with a straight face, in good faith?

Bolded is not true, I already conceded entrepreneurship is a value of hip hop and that’s undoubtedly positive.

So according to you, Hip-Hop culture stresses the importance of education, the importance of community, freedom of expression, and the importance of family? That’s what your telling me, with a straight face, in good faith?

Yes it does. I never said that's all it stresses but you're not acting in good faith if you say it doesn't. To whatever degree depends on what you consume from the culture overall. But you can't say those things aren't promoted and stressed within hip hop.

Yes it does. I never said that's all it stresses but you're not acting in good faith if you say it doesn't. To whatever degree depends on what you consume from the culture overall. But you can't say those things aren't promoted and stressed within hip hop.
It’s definitely not stressed and it’s very much a rare thing to hear.

Extremely rare

That's your opinion based on what you see. You can't speak for me of anyone else on the hip hop we consume.
That’s not how this works.

The music you consume and the overall music that’s being made and fed to the masses are not connected.

Back