Welcome To aBlackWeb

Nah. If you want to live a comfortable life we both going in.
My brother subscribes to this and stays in financial trouble while his wife keeps her whole check and blows it on dumb shit.

50/50 is the goal and not to be taken literal

50/50 is based on the premise of give and take. Unless y'all in the same industry, somebody is gonna make more than the other person so it's virtually impossible to literally apply the 50/50 idea.
So proportional contribution?

Nah. If you want to live a comfortable life we both going in.
My brother subscribes to this and stays in financial trouble while his wife keeps her whole check and blows it on dumb shit.
is his wife contributing in other ways, like primarily caring for kids (if any)?

The kids are 11 and 15 they don't need taking care of like that.
If they care of the household (cooking, cleaning, etc) equally, and make similar income, then yes having one person carry all the financial burden doesn't make much sense to me.

If they had some kind of understanding where he contributes financially and she mainly handles the home, I don't see the issue with that arrangement.

Even proportional doesn't always work. There is no winning formula when it comes to modern day finances. Whatever works for the individuals. You just don't want one party to be broke and the other having a bunch of excess money. But I also don't believe in putting all of our money in one pool. I mean we file joint taxes so she knows the numbers but there is our account, her account, my account, her business account , my business accounts and our sons account and that doesn't include investment accounts. I pay the big bills and she pays the small bills. It works for us.

Head of the household is about the man with a vision for how his house will be governed. One of me like my mentors told me that as a man, if you don't have a vision prior to getting married, then you're not ready

The problem is us men marry, then try to get the vision which can create all kinds of issues especially if the woman doesn't buy into it

In ohmars example, if his brother and wife had an arrangement that his check pays the bills and her check covers the fun and discretionary spending then I don't see anything wrong with that but if she keeping all her check to herself, that's selfish af

Even proportional doesn't always work. There is no winning formula when it comes to modern day finances. Whatever works for the individuals. You just don't want one party to be broke and the other having a bunch of excess money. But I also don't believe in putting all of our money in one pool. I mean we file joint taxes so she knows the numbers but there is our account, her account, my account, her business account , my business accounts and our sons account and that doesn't include investment accounts. I pay the big bills and she pays the small bills. It works for us.
bingo.
Head of the household is about the man with a vision for how his house will be governed. One of me like my mentors told me that as a man, if you don't have a vision prior to getting married, then you're not ready

The problem is us men marry, then try to get the vision which can create all kinds of issues especially if the woman doesn't buy into it

In ohmars example, if his brother and wife had an arrangement that his check pays the bills and her check covers the fun and discretionary spending then I don't see anything wrong with that but if she keeping all her check to herself, that's selfish af
Both parties need a vision prior to getting married imo. True partnership > one head of the household.

If they care of the household (cooking, cleaning, etc) equally, and make similar income, then yes having one person carry all the financial burden doesn't make much sense to me.

If they had some kind of understanding where he contributes financially and she mainly handles the home, I don't see the issue with that arrangement.
I do, when y'all struggling to keep afloat and she's like
:yikes2:

I have no problem with house wives but only if you can afford it and the house better always be on point.

I do, when y'all struggling to keep afloat and she's like
:yikes2:

I have no problem with house wives but only if you can afford it and the house better always be on point.
saying "if you're a housewife, the house better always be on point" is very similar to saying "if you work all day, you better be rich", knowing full well there are people working 12hrs a day who still live paycheck to paycheck. unrealistic.

anyway, sorry to hear your bro's fam is struggling to stay afloat. that sounds like a bigger issue than lifestyle choices tho.

But I think as men and women we suffer from an identity crises in the house. I was raise by my grandparents and my grandmother never worked so she literally controlled the house and he worked 2 / 3 jobs. He didn't clean or do laundry and stuff. He did cook on the weekends. Now with both parties working all week the rolls aren't like that anymore. Both parties are expected to contribute in all areas. But if I was paying all the bills I might be a little uncomfortable splitting the house chores too. And if she is doing all the house chores she might be a little uncomfortable paying for things.

saying "if you're a housewife, the house better always be on point" is very similar to saying "if you work all day, you better be rich", knowing full well there are people working 12hrs a day who still live paycheck to paycheck. unrealistic.
I think that's s bad analogy. Rich is too subjective.
It's more like if I work all day the all my bills better get paid.

This in a nutshell. And I'll add house money is house money no matter where it comes from.

If ya partner doesn't see the need to make sure the bills are paid before personal things then that's a problem.

I think that's s bad analogy. Rich is too subjective.
It's more like if I work all day the all my bills better get paid.
Bills can get paid and you can still live paycheck to paycheck, with no savings or discretionary spending money.

Expecting the house to be spotless at all times, when someone might have multiple kids that they're taking care of 24/7 primarily on their own, is an unrealistic expectation if you wouldn't hold the wage earning party to the same standard.

you're expecting perfection from one and the bare minimum from the other.

Bills can get paid and you can still live paycheck to paycheck, with no savings or discretionary spending money.

Expecting the house to be spotless at all times, when someone might have multiple kids that they're taking care of 24/7 primarily on their own, is an unrealistic expectation if you wouldn't hold the wage earning party to the same standard.

you're expecting perfection from one and the bare minimum from the other.
My goal is to make sure we have enough quality free time as possible. When I see the household stufffaloing short I just call the cleaning company. If she sees that I forgot about a bill she just pays it.

Back