Welcome To aBlackWeb

Future & Mumble Rap's Ironic Origin

Nas is a lyrical genius.

I wouldn't call him a musical genius.

When I think of a musical genius I think of Prince, I think of Jimi Hendrix, Muddy waters
Rick Rubin and Dr Dre, Miles Davis, Sun Ra, Anthony Braxton, Coltrane,

I mean Future is nowhere near a musical genius.
Even in the scope of his influence.
Hes still not a musical genius.

Im trying to figure out how you can even say that lmao.
Nigga dont play no instruments, nigga dont produce songs.
what makes him a musical genius?

Im legit confused.

Shit's all subjective but imo dude dropped ds1, ds2, monster, beast mode, 56 nights, and honest. Those are all classic albums/mixtapes, impact is undeniable and chart success is unquestionable.

Musical genius in my book

Impact and chart success does not make you a musical genius.
Soulja boy changed the way we consume music.
His impact is undeniable.

Is he a musical genius? Hell no.

I do agree that its all subjective tho.

Last edited:
chart success doesn't make you a musical genius.
In this context I think it does, he's had consistent chart success, which separates him from soulja boy. if an artist can consistently push records and have them be commercially successful especially at the rate that future is churning them out, then it shows that the artist has mastered their craft in this case song writing. Which could be considered "genius".

If nas is a lyrical genius, then future is a trap genius or maybe even trap jesus. :ohshit:

Future is not a trap genius, Im sorry. He isnt a genius by any means in my opinion. He aint open any doors to auto tune. He aint open doors to the mumbling, he capitalized off it. As many artist have done, he has changed up his flow many times.
Sure, you can bob yo head to his music, Ive done that 1000s of times to DS2. Musical genuis seems like a reach. He is not even scrapin the bottom of the clouds for that title. He does has some hit songwriting credits.
But nahhh...Sorry I don't agree with yall, but his resume doesn't measure up. Putting him in a catergory with greats like Andre3K is down right insulting imo.

In this context I think it does, he's had consistent chart success, which separates him from soulja boy. if an artist can consistently push records and have them be commercially successful especially at the rate that future is churning them out, then it shows that the artist has mastered their craft in this case song writing. Which could be considered "genius".

If nas is a lyrical genius, then future is a trap genius or maybe even trap jesus. :ohshit:

Nah. Youre buggin.
Once again chart success has nothing to do with musical talent.
WHAT INSTRUMENTS DOES FUTURE PLAY?
WHAT SONGS HAS HE PRODUCED?
Like Black said he did not revolutionize the game, he only capitalized off it.

Think about what youre saying...

Michael Jackson didnt die for this.
Al green didnt get hit in the face with a plate of hot grits for this.

As well as Nicki Minaj, who I deem as the garbage juice leaking from the sanitation city trucks.
Im sorry. I can't stand Nicki. Neva in my life have I bought or desired a Nicki Minaj LP. I def prefer Future over her. Nvm bout this bih.

Last edited:
Nah. Youre buggin.
Once again chart success has nothing to do with musical talent.
WHAT INSTRUMENTS DOES FUTURE PLAY?
WHAT SONGS HAS HE PRODUCED?
Like Black said he did not revolutionize the game, he only capitalized off it.

Think about what youre saying...
Since when were there rules to this shit race? Last I checked it was all subjective, I could name a list of copy cats that future spawned over the past 5 years that have since fallen to the wayside copying his style. And who says you have to revolutionize the game to be a genius/legend? The stones didn't reinvent the wheel but they legends, wayne didn't change the game but he's a legend, bb king didn't reinvent the wheel but I'd be hard pressed to find somebody disputing his status.

Since when were there rules to this shit race? Last I checked it was all subjective, I could name a list of copy cats that future spawned over the past 5 years that have since fallen to the wayside copying his style. And who says you have to revolutionize the game to be a genius/legend? The stones didn't reinvent the wheel but they legends, wayne didn't change the game but he's a legend, bb king didn't reinvent the wheel but I'd be hard pressed to find somebody disputing his status.

Geniuses bring about new advancements in a particular domain josh.

So yesssssssss, revolutionary, innovative work is one of the qualities of a musical genius.

Does future make good music? Yes.

Is it groundbreaking? Fuck no.

BB king revolutionized blues music. He was one of the few artist that brought it mainstream in the 70s. He's also a self-taught guitarist. I mean the man SHAPED MODERN ROCK AND ROLL. He's a musical genius.

The stones invented the fundamental axis of rock and roll:
-sexy singer
-sexual object and shaman
-charismatic guitarist
They changed the whole face of rock and roll!!!

Future gave you march madness and Tony montana and now he's a musical genius?

Even his beat selection isn't revolutionary.
His style, his flow, I mean come on.

Last edited:
Shits not even an argument. Being a good rapper, or even influential rapper does not make you a musical genius.

Biggie PAC and Jay not musical geniuses.....

You'd have a better argument for a producer than a pure rapper.

Even em who is a rapper/producer isn't a musical genius.

No diss, the title just doesn't fit

The ignorance and disrespect towards hiphop in this thread is sickening, did this mf really have the audacity to say Nas ... NAS isn't a musical genius but rick rubin is, ARE WE SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?

Yall name and suck a slew non hiphop artists dick as if they didn't have a ton of fuckin producers and writers, but when it comes to legendary rappers who have changed the face of MUSIC, they're just regular rappers but not geniuses? What makes u think like that? Yall can't imagine callin a regular nigga from the block a genius, why?

Thread full of Gene Simmons, shits disgusting.

frfr...i watched this video and still didnt get where/how his mumble mouth style came into creation

so let me get this straight, according to the narrator, Future was high when he made tony montana, and he had to pick a lane b/c all the other lanes in the Dungeon Family were taken?

i aint buying it

I "like" future, but lets be real, I bet you can play one song, do some shit around the house, and not realize the song had changed

The ignorance and disrespect towards hiphop in this thread is sickening, did this mf really have the audacity to say Nas ... NAS isn't a musical genius but rick rubin is, ARE WE SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?

Yall name and suck a slew non hiphop artists dick as if they didn't have a ton of fuckin producers and writers, but when it comes to legendary rappers who have changed the face of MUSIC, they're just regular rappers but not geniuses? What makes u think like that? Yall can't imagine callin a regular nigga from the block a genius, why?

Thread full of Gene Simmons, shits disgusting.

I didn't comment on Nas, so I won't even address it.

I'm trying to see where df are the musical genuisness credits and/or accolades in which you haven't contributed yet. My question was never answered so therefore there isn't any substantial or rational reasoning other than he is the best of the best of mumbling and YOU are a fan. Nobody attacked him saying bc he's from where he's from that he cant get the respect YOU think he's owed. Most ppl start off as REG niggas from the block so wth you talkin bout? Im blackaf and a reg ass mf and I have no problem giving props. My thoughts have yet to change. And your opinion doesn't make you any more or less right than anybody else's. If im ignorant to some facts, that probably don't even exist, prove me wrong. Where the receipts???

Back