Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION From Air Jordans to 'My Adidas,' Black creativity — and capital — built sneaker culture. Why do white retailers still reap most profits?

What about Wu Tang Clan is Asian…..

Other than the group name sounding Chinese?

Them using samples from Kung Fu flicks?

Really?

They don’t try to dress like Asians, talk like Asians….

I don’t see anything really Asian influenced about the Clan except for the two minor things I mentioned.

Those are some of the most hood cats ever and I can almost guarantee they know little to nothing about real Asian culture.

Therefore, I deem your argument to be invalid.

Bruh, you're acting like style of dress is the only way a culture can influence another.

You point out your self that they named themselves after something from Chinese culture and sampled Kung Fu flicks. They nicknamed their home after an area in China. References to Asian culture is strewn throughout their lyrics. It's not even just them either because the whole reason they picked up that love for Kung Fu flicks and all that was because they were popular in the area when they were coming up.

And what do people outside of America know about African American culture outside of what's been exported to them. Sure, black people in America might not know all the ins and outs of Chinese culture overall, but guess what, Chinese people in China don't know all the ins and outs of African American culture either even if they do listen to the music and adopt the style of dress.

Nah...I come from a long line of 'Black is beautiful' and so do many other Black Americans I know.

Be careful how you paint with that brush FP.
True I generalized a bit, but it did exist at least with hair and skin tone that closer to white was right. If we hit the 20s and 30s and 40s... probably the 50s a bit many tried to assimilate in the hopes of better treatment

Overall though we are, blacks here or elsewhere, the most copied ppl ever

I was actually specifically talking about Asians when I remarked about how “they wanna be us. We don’t wanna be them.”

But since you gave examples of people wanting to be white….

You have any idea what 400 + years of brainwashing, programming, institutionalized and systemic racism, rape, torture, murder and enslavement can do to a race of people?

No?

Welp, just look at the videos you posted.
I know and don't deny any of that, just saying there were those who wanted to be like white folks. It wasn't so much a debate just pointing out a situation

Last edited:
I use to go to NYC all the time in the early to mid 80's and niggas were wearing kung fu suits bcuz of kung fu flicks. Shit had me laughing.

That was just the style of the 80's/90's if you notice most of the media/entertainment had Karate/Ninja elements,Ninja Turtles,Karate Kid,3 Ninjas,American Ninja,Highlander,Street Fighter,Mortal Kombat,Power Rangers etc

That was just the style of the 80's/90's if you notice most of the media/entertainment had Karate/Ninja elements,Ninja Turtles,Karate Kid,3 Ninjas,American Ninja,Highlander,Street Fighter,Mortal Kombat,Power Rangers etc
I get all that but from the late 70's to mid 80's cable tv used to show old school kung fu movies and niggas couldn't get enough of that shit. It even had dudes wearing kung fu clothes as a fashion. It was a thing. I seent it.

It was normal to see niggas with this fit on.

7320a70973e1ffadb0ccffcbd7d33cb3.jpg

Last edited:
Bruh, you're acting like style of dress is the only way a culture can influence another.

You point out your self that they named themselves after something from Chinese culture and sampled Kung Fu flicks. They nicknamed their home after an area in China. References to Asian culture is strewn throughout their lyrics. It's not even just them either because the whole reason they picked up that love for Kung Fu flicks and all that was because they were popular in the area when they were coming up.

And what do people outside of America know about African American culture outside of what's been exported to them. Sure, black people in America might not know all the ins and outs of Chinese culture overall, but guess what, Chinese people in China don't know all the ins and outs of African American culture either even if they do listen to the music and adopt the style of dress.
You’re acting like this is some kinda widespread thing because one rap group has a Chinese sounding name and etc….

Asian influence on black people is minimal at best.

I gave examples of entire communities of Asians pretending to be black gang members.

Wearing black hair styles, and speaking black slang exclusively.

Name an instance of entire black neighborhoods pretending to be Asian.

Entire black communities living an Asian lifestyle.

Have you ever seen that?

If so, cool.

I personally have not.

Respectfully.

You’re acting like this is some kinda widespread thing because one rap group has a Chinese sounding name and etc….

Asian influence on black people is minimal at best.

I gave examples of entire communities of Asians pretending to be black gang members.

Wearing black hair styles, and speaking black slang exclusively.

Name an instance of entire black neighborhoods pretending to be Asian.

Entire black communities living an Asian lifestyle.

Have you ever seen that?

If so, cool.

I personally have not.

Respectfully.
Were those Asians who are blood and crip in Cali?

Lol most everything originates from black people 1st. But the current system seems to be difficult to break. Those who are in positions of power aren't black and I will be honest to shift the culture to buy black on shoes through black own retailers and distributors will take time. Buy I see a change in the tide.

Starts with each of us being intentional about where we buy and how we buy. That's easier said than done. .like if Jordan decided to stop producing through Nike and established something else..it would be a wave I think.

Back