Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION From Air Jordans to 'My Adidas,' Black creativity — and capital — built sneaker culture. Why do white retailers still reap most profits?

You’re kidding, right?

I could give a ton of other examples.

Carhartt was just some unknown workwear company until hip hop made it cool.

The connection YOU make to carhartt is through hip hop, but their brand was solidified amongst white people well before any hip hop affiliation.

Saying Hip hop made it popular is like saying hip hop made satchel bags popular, or hip hop made Stussy popular.

It is true about some brands/items but it damn sure isn't true for Carhartt

You confusing shit like a muthfucka.

Just because you see us rocking some shit don’t mean it wasn’t selling like hot cakes among other folks.

But if you wanna claim the “cool factor” on shit be my guess. Just like with skinny jeans. We think we made that cool and popular but that shit was popular as fuck among folks that wasn’t us and wasn’t even American

Expand your bubble

Just because you see us rocking some shit don’t mean it wasn’t selling like hot cakes among other folks.

But if you wanna claim the “cool factor” on shit be my guess. Just like with skinny jeans. We think we made that cool and popular but that shit was popular as fuck among folks that wasn’t us and wasn’t even American

Expand your bubble
Calm down, D

Black dudes made wearing skinny jeans cool for other Black dudes...and that's facts. "Others" didn't do that

The connection YOU make to carhartt is through hip hop, but their brand was solidified amongst white people well before any hip hop affiliation.

Saying Hip hop made it popular is like saying hip hop made satchel bags popular, or hip hop made Stussy popular.

Sigh

Damn…

Am I speaking in riddles?

This WORKWEAR brand is a hundred times more popular today because of it’s affiliation to hip-hop.

It wasn’t cool or trendy when white people were wearing it for construction.

That company owes it’s new found wealth and popularity to the fact that black folks gave it a thumbs up.

Only black people could make workwear into something you just wear in everyday life (like sweatsuits).

Y’all really don’t understand that?

Wow.

Of course it was already an established brand...Hip Hop/Black dudes made it popular street style

Expand your bubble
So… Kangols we’re “selling like hot cakes” before rappers started wearing ‘em?

Right.

I’ll give you credit.

At least you’re consistent (with your nonsense).

Calm down, D

Black dudes made wearing skinny jeans cool for other Black dudes...and that's facts. "Others" didn't do that

That’s my point.a lot of popular stuff we didn’t make popular.

rappers just made it “acceptable”

we gotta chill with the “we made” it pop shit. It’s annoying

So… Kangols we’re “selling like hot cakes” before rappers started wearing ‘em?

Right.

I’ll give you credit.

At least you’re consistent (with your nonsense).

You brought up 1 brand.

good job.

You gon take credit for the anime phase among non Asians too? Skinny jeans and skateboards too?

You brought up 1 brand.

good job.

You gon take credit for the anime phase among non Asians too? Skinny jeans and skateboards too?

So, Timberland was “selling like hot-cakes” before rappers started wearing ‘em?

Timberland…. A hiking boot company..

OK.

Shall we continue?

That’s my point.a lot of popular stuff we didn’t make popular.

rappers just made it “acceptable”

we gotta chill with the “we made” it pop shit. It’s annoying
Black dudes did make skinny jeans popular/cool for OTHER BLACK DUDES to rock

White dudes and others have always worn some variation of "skinny"/tight jeans...been a joke among us for ages. They didn't make it culturally popular or cool...Black dudes did

Black dudes did make skinny jeans popular/cool for OTHER BLACK DUDES to rock

White dudes and others have always worn some variation of "skinny"/tight jeans...been a joke among us for ages. They didn't make it culturally popular or cool...Black dudes did

It was popular. Just not among us.

we ain’t the only folks in the world.

It was popular. Just not among us.

we ain’t the only folks in the world.
You're being slow again today, Chrissy Snow

Or you just feel like arguing

And we do move the needle all the time, throughout history, for what's deemed as cool/culturally relevant/stylish and so on

But whatevs..this isn't important enough for me to continue...so have it. Enjoy your day sweetie

You're being slow again today, Chrissy Snow

Or you just feel like arguing

And we do move the needle all the time, throughout history, for what's deemed as cool/culturally relevant/stylish and so on

But whatevs..this isn't important enough for me to continue...so have it. Enjoy your day sweetie

That’s just @Dwayne doing his thang.

He’s the official ABW Resident Contrarian.

IT WASN’T POPULAR AMONGST BLACK FOLKS, THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Homie…..

That’s what @Scandalust313 is saying!

Read.
👍
It was only popular for whites and others...never cool. Black dudes made it cool for everyone (including Black dudes) and popular for other Black dudes
That’s just @Dwayne doing his thang.

He’s the official ABW Resident Contrarian.
I know boo...I just k.i.m. when he gets like this

He's still my dawg tho

Edit: I'm out fr this time lol

Sigh

Damn…

Am I speaking in riddles?

This WORKWEAR brand is a hundred times more popular today because of it’s affiliation to hip-hop.

It wasn’t cool or trendy when white people were wearing it for construction.

That company owes it’s new found wealth and popularity to the fact that black folks gave it a thumbs up.

Only black people could make workwear into something you just wear in everyday life (like sweatsuits).

Y’all really don’t understand that?

Wow.
Did you even read the shit you just posted?!

It explicitly tells you where the casual streetwear shit you see started.

If you weren't there, I can't show you. But Carhartt has had streetwear in Europe all through 2000s when motherfuckers were rocking g-unit, airforce, and northface. They've been een serving skaters beanies since the 80s bruh. The same fashion junkies that were rocking BAPE and satchel bags in the 90s and early 2000s are the same ones who brought shine to carhartt. Not hip-hop.

Rappers started getting money and did what they always do. Go downtown to stores they never knew existed, shopping at places they couldn't afford before. They saw Thousand dollar price tags on some shit and bought it to flex. They brought carhartt to you, but if you had money you already knew about them.

European fashionistas started bringing the streetwear to the U.S. in like 2010 their prime demographic was the skaters, and upper middle class like Beverly Hill. Same motherfuckers who were throwing tens of thousands at Prada during the week and thousands on camping/hiking gear from Patagonia and Yeti on the weekend. Rappers bring luxury wear to the hood and give it notoriety to motherfuckers who don't know any better .

You saying Hip-hop gave Carhartt clout is like saying Hip hop made red bottoms. We didn't.

Ain’t no contrarian.

saying black folks made something popular among black folks is weird.

A lot of shit is extremely popular without us and when folks said black folks made such and such popular when it was already hitting just not among us and try and take credit for it being popular is just wack as fuck.

Back