Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION From Air Jordans to 'My Adidas,' Black creativity — and capital — built sneaker culture. Why do white retailers still reap most profits?

Did you even read the shit you just posted?!
If you weren't there, I can't show you. But Carhartt has had streetwear in Europe all through 2000s when motherfuckers were rocking g-unit, airforce, and northface. They've been een serving skaters beanies since the 80s bruh. The same fashion junkies that were rocking BAPE and satchel bags in the 90s and early 2000s are the same ones who brought shine to carhartt. Not hip-hop.
European fashionistas started bringing the streetwear to the U.S. in like 2010

Did YOU even read the shit I posted?

And I quote:

”Carhartt first released their beanie in1987. Around the 1990’s the brand took off among most rappers. Almost instantly after that Carhartt became popular among skaters.”

:huh4:

You talking about the 2000’s….

Rappers (BLACK PEOPLE) made that fashionable in the early 1990’s.

Why are y’all acting like you don’t get it?

Let make not getting a trade popular then. Let’s make being financially literally not blowing money popular among each other.

We taking credit for shit that means nothing but some folks think we move the needle on everything but the needle ain’t moving on the right things. Makes us look bad in my eyes to our own people.

We taking credit for shit that means nothing but some folks think we move the needle on everything but the needle ain’t moving on the right things. Makes us look bad in my eyes to our own people.

The original thread topic is how our creativity and influence makes other people rich.

I then explained how we can pretty much make ANYTHING cool and profitable….

…Good and bad.

For some unknown reason you disagreed.

What was I wrong about?

I’m pretty sure we can all agree white culture got the worse aesthetically pleasing styles

Examples?
My fault was at the gym

Straightening hair and other styles to be closer to white

Skin bleaching products and testimonials

Thinning the nose

You missing the point. He didn't say that Asian culture has the same influence or impact as African American culture. He said that some elements of different Asian cultures are influential just like African American culture.

And as others have noted, African American culture has been influenced by Asian culture, or are we going to act like these guys don't exist.

wutang-1000x602.jpg

What about Wu Tang Clan is Asian…..

Other than the group name sounding Chinese?

Them using samples from Kung Fu flicks?

Really?

They don’t try to dress like Asians, talk like Asians….

I don’t see anything really Asian influenced about the Clan except for the two minor things I mentioned.

Those are some of the most hood cats ever and I can almost guarantee they know little to nothing about real Asian culture.

Therefore, I deem your argument to be invalid.

I’m pretty sure we can all agree white culture got the worse aesthetically pleasing styles
Does it matter?

they sit back an watch us fight for scraps, then offers bit more than scraps and we think we made it while their kids going to thebest schools with generational wealth that came from black ingenuity.

Caring about surface shit is why we are here and they continue to give us a fraction off our creations.

What about Wu Tang Clan is Asian…..

Other than the group name sounding Chinese?

Them using samples from Kung Fu flicks?

Really?

They don’t try to dress like Asians, talk like Asians….

I don’t see anything really Asian influenced about the Clan except for the two minor things I mentioned.

Those are some of the most hood cats ever and I can almost guarantee they know little to nothing about real Asian culture.

Therefore, I deem your argument to be invalid.

They themselves said they was influenced by Asian culture.

Unless you calling them a liar

I don’t even rock with Asian folks though. Mainly Chinese. I definitely can’t rock with them

Did YOU even read the shit I posted?

And I quote:

”Carhartt first released their beanie in1987. Around the 1990’s the brand took off among most rappers. Almost instantly after that Carhartt became popular among skaters.”

:huh4:

You talking about the 2000’s….

Rappers (BLACK PEOPLE) made that fashionable in the early 1990’s.

Why are y’all acting like you don’t get it?
Quote the whole paragraph....:foh5:

"Carhartt first released their beanie in 1987. Around the 1990’s the brand took off among most rappers. Almost instantly after that Carhartt became popular among skaters, so much so that they created a new line of Carhartt that would better fit these laid back teens. They partnered with Feah, who took the brand to a new level. He branded his own line named Carhartt Work in Progress in which he tailored existing Carhartt clothes to better fit skaters’ needs and preferred silhouettes, while keeping the signature high quality duck canvas. Work in Progress was at first only in Europe, but in 2011 it entered the American market with a store in SoHo. Around that time, A.P.C. (a French ready-to-wear brand) partnered with Work in Progress on a few pieces, including a beanie, which instantly elevated the brand to fashion relevancy A year later, Rihanna was photographed in a neon-yellow one, a signature color from the original Carhartt."

The influence you're claiming from hip hop did nothing, it literally says white teens were wearing it so much that they built a marketing strategy around it. Rappers rocked it and nothing happened. It became known to black people but 70% of America already knew and were already buying it. It was literally in boutiques across seas being worn by white people en masse and when it came BACK to the U.S. you see hip hop and celebrities and rich people who frequent these boutiques continue to purchase and wear it. You honestly think Rihanna bought it and said "yeah this some 90s retrofit" no she saw luxury namebrand streetwear in an upscale luxury boutique.

Reebok got a push from hip hop and their marketing looked to capitalize and you can see it clearly.

Carhartt got a "push" from hip hop and did........what exactly

Nothing because hip hop wasn't doing anything to them.

My fault was at the gym

Straightening hair and other styles to be closer to white

Skin bleaching products and testimonials

Thinning the nose

I was actually specifically talking about Asians when I remarked about how “they wanna be us. We don’t wanna be them.”

But since you gave examples of people wanting to be white….

You have any idea what 400 + years of brainwashing, programming, institutionalized and systemic racism, rape, torture, murder and enslavement can do to a race of people?

No?

Welp, just look at the videos you posted.

This is a mad simplistic way to make your point without some much needed context.

But🤝🏾
I'm just going by what I know or seen or read or heard. I'd be interested in your thoughts considering your location, so things may be different with me up in the Northeast. Forgive the generalization

Back