Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY FL Gov. Ron DeSantis has banned AP African-American Studies from being taught in Florida

I hope this "slavery benefits" issue is a hoax.

Still wouldn't shock me because this is right up the alley for a red state to do something like that tho.

I gotta admit, stuff like this is exactly why we will never ever get along. I'm not shocked at these red state smear tactics at all.

The truth/fact of the matter is something similar to what they finger pointing at Desantis about was already being taught. I ain't even got any shame in posting topics like this is why red states are just better than what blue states/liberals/democrats/etc... got to offer. They ain't the best option, but at least they better than what any blue democrat ran state got to offer. This topic is just like when Stacey's fat azz lost to Kemp and ya'll claimed he lied, stole, cheated the elections by removing votes. Even though that's true he removed votes, ya'll democrat leaders (Zell Miller) and others were actually the ones to sign this nonsense into law and that's what you don't care for the masses to know.

Breaking Down the Controversy Over Florida's New Slavery Curriculum

The most controversial line in the guidelines, approved July 19, says: “Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

Yet DeSantis' team pointed out that Florida's language sounds similar to a section of the College Board’s AP African American Studies class framework. (The same class, in fact, that DeSantis had threatened to ban in his state.) "In addition to agricultural work, enslaved people learned specialized trades and worked as painters, carpenters, tailors, musicians, and healers in the North and South," the College Board's framework reads. After they were freed, the framework continues, African Americans "used these skills to provide for themselves and others."

While the concept of discussing enslaved people's skill sets in a classroom setting is broadly accepted, scholars who contributed to the AP African American Studies curriculum tell TIME that the use of the phrase “personal benefit” is the main problem with the Florida standards

VP Kamala Harris backed national high school course about slaves’ ‘skills’ before Florida controversy

The College Board’s 2023 AP African American Studies course includes a lesson about slaves learning “specialized trades” that they used “to provide for themselves” once freed — recognized by Harris earlier this year as part of “American history.”

But just last week, Harris whipped up opposition against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis over the state Board of Education’s controversial African American history curriculum, which states that “slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

Despite her support for the similar-sounding AP lesson, Harris branded Florida’s curriculum as an attempt “to replace history with lies.”

AP Curriculum Touted by Progressives Also Includes Section on Slaves Learning Skills

The 2023 AP African-American studies curriculum released by the College Board, the body that oversees SAT and Advanced Placement (AP) testing, argues that slaves learned “specialized trades” during bondage and parlayed “these skills to provide for themselves and others” once free.

In Unit 2 of the AP’s syllabus on “Slavery, Labor, and American Law,” a chapter on the slave economy suggests that slaves learned to become “painters, carpenters, tailors, musicians, and healers” and subsequently “used these skills to provide for themselves and others.”

DeSantis has been widely criticized in recent weeks, including by Vice President Kamala Harris, over a singular passage in Florida’s 2023 social-studies standards which acknowledges that “slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

Boi, I'm so glad I'm one of the few on this platform that ain't acting like ya'll. Like we all supposed to die as democrats.

I gotta admit, stuff like this is exactly why we will never ever get along. I'm not shocked at these red state smear tactics at all.

The truth/fact of the matter is something similar to what they finger pointing at Desantis about was already being taught. I ain't even got any shame in posting topics like this is why red states are just better than what blue states/liberals/democrats/etc... got to offer. They ain't the best option, but at least they better than what any blue democrat ran state got to offer. This topic is just like when Stacey's fat azz lost to Kemp and ya'll claimed he lied, stole, cheated the elections by removing votes. Even though that's true he removed votes, ya'll democrat leaders (Zell Miller) and others were actually the ones to sign this nonsense into law and that's what you don't care for the masses to know.

First, calm yo ass down shit talking a black woman to the benefit of some fucking white man, nigga.

Second, I don't like democrats. I don't. They don't have it in them to do right by black people. Still, red states ain't shit better, they are still worse. In every metric, the bottom percentiles are dominated by red states.

I hear @Disanthrope out when he calls out democrats for their bullshit, lies, and failed promises but what we not gonna do is try to lift up republicans. That's the fucking klan, dickhead.

First, calm yo ass down shit talking a black woman to the benefit of some fucking white man, nigga.

Second, I don't like democrats. I don't. They don't have it in them to do right by black people. Still, red states ain't shit better, they are still worse. In every metric, the bottom percentiles are dominated by red states.

I hear @Disanthrope out when he calls out democrats for their bullshit, lies, and failed promises but what we not gonna do is try to lift up republicans. That's the fucking klan, dickhead.

I don't een know you like that, but since you wanna go.....

Facts are facts bro.

The law dates back decades but was last amended by House Bill 889 in 1997, a time when Democrats were in power and controlled the Governor’s office and both chambers of the legislature.

HB 889 was a bipartisan bill sponsored by Representative Sonny Dixon of Chatham County – a Democrat and later a WTOC news anchor, and co-sponsored by Democrats William Lee, Larry Walker, Jimmy Skipper, and Greg Hecht. One Republican signer backed the initiative — Robert Irwin. It was signed into law by Democrat Governor Zell Miller and took effect on January 1, 1998.

The bill also specifically authorizes the Constitutionally-created office of the Secretary of

Democrat Secretary of State Lewis Massey, who was overseeing the office at the time of the passage of HB 889 in 1997
State to ‘promulgate reasonable rules and regulations for the implementation…” to limit fraud and even specifically suggests comparing voter registration records with death certificates.

Sonny-Dixon-300x187.png
320px-Zell_B_Miller.jpg

You're done.

Back