Welcome To aBlackWeb

Five Mics Revisited Series: Jay-z "The Blueprint"

Is Blueprint a classic?

• Yes

Votes: 38 90.5%
  • NO

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
Lyrically I have to put RD ahead of Blueprint, production wise and song depth/structure of songs, I'll go with blue print.
I won't say it's a 5 mic, 4 for sure.
Girl, Girls and the other single was what they were, radio singles, which is good but I'll tend to skip over those songs when listening.

Easy 4 or 4.5 mics

Lyrically, you putting RD above BP? Define lyrically. Subject matter/content or flow/delivery. Because BP is eating that up easily.

So, by your logic, when you listen to 400 Degreez, which you have gone on record many times stating that its a classic album, you dont listen to Ha, Back dat azz up or Follow Me now b/c they were radio singles?

Back at UNO, week one of release, three songs in particular were in heavy rotation. "you dont know", H to the Izzo, and "girls, girls, girls"

Girls 3x, had so many quotables and references to pop culture that if werent familar with em, they went ova ya head. The video just pulled it all together with the imagery described with his words. Girls 3x the REMIX??!?!?! OMG. Dont get me started

H to the Izzo, Jackson 5 sample (didnt know at the time) but classic Kanye. "Like it told you sell drugs, no, HOV did that, so hopefully you wouldnt have to go through that"...man...you gotta do better than this brah

there is not one skippable song on this album

Flow wise it's not even close, jay's flows on Dead Presidents 1 and 2 alone shits on the flows on Blueprint. There's not a song on Blueprint that's fuckin with Can I Love bar wise, the only song that come's close is Lyrical Exercise.

i can see that pov

but i give the nod to BP b/c you can still hear traces of the super bippity boppity hawaiian sophie Jaz-O influence throughout the album.

BP sounds more refined imo

Like you would say, you're gonna have to do better than that. BP is lyrically better and he has better flows because RD has traces of "bippity boppity"? nah b

Lyrically, you putting RD above BP? Define lyrically. Subject matter/content or flow/delivery. Because BP is eating that up easily.

So, by your logic, when you listen to 400 Degreez, which you have gone on record many times stating that its a classic album, you dont listen to Ha, Back dat azz up or Follow Me now b/c they were radio singles?

Back at UNO, week one of release, three songs in particular were in heavy rotation. "you dont know", H to the Izzo, and "girls, girls, girls"

Girls 3x, had so many quotables and references to pop culture that if werent familar with em, they went ova ya head. The video just pulled it all together with the imagery described with his words. Girls 3x the REMIX??!?!?! OMG. Dont get me started

H to the Izzo, Jackson 5 sample (didnt know at the time) but classic Kanye. "Like it told you sell drugs, no, HOV did that, so hopefully you wouldnt have to go through that"...man...you gotta do better than this brah

When I say lyrically, I found myself rewinding more so on RD than I did on BP, that's not to say he wasn't spitting on BP, but the shit he was saying on RD was just like, "man what did this nigga just say", I'll give you something to chew on with this statement.

Take the radio singles

And Girls Girls

And Izzo

The Can't knock me hustle song, he's is eating both of those songs "Girls, Girls and Izzo up easily and Can't knock the hustle is a dayum radio single Lol.

That's what I meant by my statement, and that's just one song, him on Dead President and him doing "Never Change" pretty much on the same tempo/style format of songs, clearly it's not a debate which one he came harder on? is it?

With "Ha", I can listen to that song without skipping because, even though it's a radio single, it's not a radio single, I would say the one "Flossin" is more radio friendly. CMR didn't go that route at first and went with the more street path with putting out HA, which again I can listen to. Izzo, is more radio single and Girls Girls fits that radio stigma, Girls, Girls, I could listen to (even though I said in short terms it's a weak track on BP) I'd say I could listen to it, but Izzo, hell no.
Again this is just me and what I'm doing.

why do you keep bringing up radio singles as an argument? i honestly have no idea the correlation you are trying to draw

so you admit BP is a great album, but knock off a half point b/c of two songs that were released as singles?

With "Ha", I can listen to that song without skipping because, even though it's a radio single, it's not a radio single, I would say the one "Flossin" is more radio friendly. CMR didn't go that route at first and went with the more street path with putting out HA, which again I can listen to. Izzo, is more radio single and Girls Girls fits that radio stigma, Girls, Girls, I could listen to (even though I said in short terms it's a weak track on BP) I'd say I could listen to it, but Izzo, hell no.
Again this is just me and what I'm doing.

NO...a radio single is that is edited/altered for the sole reason of being played on the radio

HA was that song for Juvenile. Dont change the definition of a song to fit your narrative

NO...a radio single is that is edited/altered for the sole reason of being played on the radio

HA was that song for Juvenile. Dont change the definition of a song to fit your narrative

Huh

So just because a song has edit/altered it's a radio song? No bruh

So when C-Murder put out Fuck them other niggas, he went into the studio and said that he was doing this song for the radio as a single? or when he made "
"They don't really know you" is what he went with as a single? Come on breh. The song became such a smash, they had to clean it up and put it on the radio. They didn't even make a edit Fuck them other niggas radio version.
Ha was a street record but again CMR went with the street route and put it out as a single to keep their stigma.
Again, Flossin is more of a radio song than HA,

^^ He pretty much broke it down.

What song on BP do you consider better than any song on RD flow wise? @OldAss

he didnt break anything down

I consider

Lyrical Exercise (you pointed this one out already)
Renegade
All I need

But i think we are getting caught up in semantics tbh, b/ i think we can all agree that sonically and lyrically, the two albums are nothing alike. I shouldv'e been more specific, but when i was talking about the Jaz-O influenced flow, i was mainly talking about 22 2's, Ain't no nigga, Friend or Foe, and probably Coming of Age.

The rest of the songs are more slowed down as far as his flow is concerned.

why do you keep bringing up radio singles as an argument? i honestly have no idea the correlation you are trying to draw

so you admit BP is a great album, but knock off a half point b/c of two songs that were released as singles?

That's what I stated in my initial post that those 2 songs (for me) knocked it down.

Huh

So just because a song has edit/altered it's a radio song? No bruh

So when C-Murder put out Fuck them other niggas, he went into the studio and said that he was doing this song for the radio as a single? or when he made "
"They don't really know you" is what he went with as a single? Come on breh. The song became such a smash, they had to clean it up and put it on the radio. They didn't even make a edit Fuck them other niggas radio version.
Ha was a street record but again CMR went with the street route and put it out as a single to keep their stigma.
Again, Flossin is more of a radio song than HA,

"They dont really know you" was the first single off that album iirc, but thats besides the point

i feel like we are getting off topic here b/c at the end of the day, I just dont agree with your notion that Girls 3x or Izzo were any less potent or whatever b/c they were released as singles

Lyrically, and Im speaking subject matter wise, both of em had some dope ass bars. Does it hurt that they could be played on the radio as well? i dont think so, but like i said, i dont think that has anything to do with the album as a whole being a classic or not.

But the premise of the thread was is Blueprint considered a classic. I wasnt comparing it to any other album.

That's what I stated in my initial post that those 2 songs (for me) knocked it down.

but you said it knocked it down b/c they were singles...not b/c they were wack...

but i'm off this part of the debate

he didnt break anything down

I consider

Lyrical Exercise (you pointed this one out already)
Renegade
All I need

But i think we are getting caught up in semantics tbh, b/ i think we can all agree that sonically and lyrically, the two albums are nothing alike. I shouldv'e been more specific, but when i was talking about the Jaz-O influenced flow, i was mainly talking about 22 2's, Ain't no nigga, Friend or Foe, and probably Coming of Age.

The rest of the songs are more slowed down as far as his flow is concerned.

You bringing up other songs, I never stated anything about the other songs on BP but spoke on 2 songs which were his radio songs.

Girls (3) was a good song, Jay did his thing, I could listen to it, as I back track, I initial said I would skip the song, but I'll let it play, but Izzo, no I would skip the song, I felt he did the song for the radio, which is good, but it's not a hard ass song to me compared to Can't Knock my hustle where he came harder on.
That's why I said that for me BP is a 4 mic/4.5. mic album. It has nothing to do with any other songs on BP but those 2 singles

Last edited:
You bringing up other songs, I never stated anything about the other songs on BP but spoke on 2 songs which were his radio songs.

Girls (3) was a good song, Jay did his thing, I could listen to it, as I back track, I initial said I would skip the song, but I'll let it play, but Izzo, no I would skip the song, I felt he did the song for the radio, which is good, but it's not a hard as song to me compared to Can't Knock my hustle where he came harder on.
That's why I said that for me BP is a 4 mic/4.5. mic album. It has nothing to do with any other songs on BP but those 2 singles
i was answering goldie's question...keep up

"They dont really know you" was the first single off that album iirc, but thats besides the point

i feel like we are getting off topic here b/c at the end of the day, I just dont agree with your notion that Girls 3x or Izzo were any less potent or whatever b/c they were released as singles

Lyrically, and Im speaking subject matter wise, both of em had some dope ass bars. Does it hurt that they could be played on the radio as well? i dont think so, but like i said, i dont think that has anything to do with the album as a whole being a classic or not.

But the premise of the thread was is Blueprint considered a classic. I wasnt comparing it to any other album.

I'm not comparing it to any other album.

I stated an example of what a radio friendly song was, you said just because they edit the song/alter it, it's a radio song, and I made a point by saying no that's not the case in many cases. Artists make radio friendly song, dumb down the lyrics and that's how I felt when he did Izzo, compared to Can't knock my hustle,
two different Jay-z on those radio single songs.

Back