Fair or foul? Kevin Hart throwing his son a cowboys and Indians party

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Apr 4, 2017
When Eniko and Kevin Hart planned their son Kenzo’s first birthday party, it’s possible they were thinking of nothing but the kind of themed birthday parties they’d attended as children, then selected one that seemed like it would appeal most to their toddler. But once Eniko posted the photos from the cowboys and Indians party, they raised a storm of opinions about what such a theme really means.

03af533781fd1588f562470350764650

“Zos cowboys & indians party was nothing but amazing! Thanks to everyone for coming.. we love you guys!” Eniko Hart wrote on Instagram Thursday, sharing photos of her family and friends decked out in cowboy costumes or draped in Native American blankets next to a teepee at an outdoor venue.

In the comments, amid the cooing — that is one very cute little boy — came critiques from Native Americans. Just as they often call for an end to dressing up in “Indian” costumes during Halloween, indigenous people have long called cowboys and Indians parties offensive.

“Disgusting. This is equivalent to having a kkk and black slaves party. #interminorityappropriation,” wrote @smitmk01.

Many called upon African-Americans like the Harts to see the parallels between blackface and turning native culture into costumes.

“So when ppl do blackface or dress as slave and owner for halloween ya cool with it? Yuuuuuup thats what i thought,” wrote @gymandtattooposts.

Adrienne K. on the website NativeAppropriations.com further uses the comparison between the way white Americans used negative stereotypes of both groups as a means to create the identity of a dominant white American culture.

“So, it’s clear there are large similarities between blackface and playing Indian — both are intentional acts that draw upon stereotypes and a racist history to enact whiteness — but our Nation has created a narrative in which blackface=racist, while redface=normal,” she writes. “Just because our national narrative and history has somehow normalized the phenomenon does not excuse its roots in the process of systematic erasure of the First Peoples from our homelands.”

That argument played out somewhat less eloquently on Eniko Hart’s feed, with many defending the party and calling the haters overly sensitive.

“I truly hope you and Kevin don’t apologize for this!!”@through1eye wrote to Eniko. “Welcome to the generation of offended. It’s a sad day when a child can’t even have an innocent cowboy and indian themed party.”

Neither Eniko nor Kevin Hart has commented on the controversy.

I can see why the Natives would be offended, and I do think those parties are culturally insensitive. That said, I don't agree with slave comparison. The dynamic between slave and slave owner is inherently negative towards the slave. Nothing about a Cowboys and Indians (Natives) party implies that the Natives must be seen as the bad guys or the savages. I also disagree with the blackface comparison. Black face is bad because it's a caricature of black people that was used to denigrate black people. Dressing up like a Native without any attempt to caricature them isn't quite the same. I'm not saying they don't have the right to take offense to it. I'm just saying that people who put on blackface are usually trying to be insulting towards blacks. The people attending that party were probably not trying to be insulting towards Natives.

All that said, the black people talking about the Natives are being overly sensitive are full of shit. Black people catch feelings over any and everything that seems like a shot at us. You can't operate that way and then turn around and dismiss the feelings of other groups when they find something offensive. That's the kinda shit I hate. Even if we all agree that Kevin probably didn't do this to be offensive, why would anyone from the black side just be like "Fuck 'Em" when the Natives try to express displeasure with something like that?

I wouldn't go so far as to say foul but it's unnecessarily culturally insensitive. Do kids even play cowboys and indians in the modern era?

nope

and I only see one cowboy he was like damn that blanket lol

them kids dont care (or know) about none of the shit people are putting into this, and thats who the party was for

SN from a husbands perspective: we know it was all her idea, leave Kevin out of this.....he had no say in the matter lmao

she just told him where to be and when.....and he better leave his cup in the car

Reactions: Koltrain
When Eniko and Kevin Hart planned their son Kenzo’s first birthday party, it’s possible they were thinking of nothing but the kind of themed birthday parties they’d attended as children, then selected one that seemed like it would appeal most to their toddler. But once Eniko posted the photos from the cowboys and Indians party, they raised a storm of opinions about what such a theme really means.

03af533781fd1588f562470350764650

“Zos cowboys & indians party was nothing but amazing! Thanks to everyone for coming.. we love you guys!” Eniko Hart wrote on Instagram Thursday, sharing photos of her family and friends decked out in cowboy costumes or draped in Native American blankets next to a teepee at an outdoor venue.

In the comments, amid the cooing — that is one very cute little boy — came critiques from Native Americans. Just as they often call for an end to dressing up in “Indian” costumes during Halloween, indigenous people have long called cowboys and Indians parties offensive.

“Disgusting. This is equivalent to having a kkk and black slaves party. #interminorityappropriation,” wrote @smitmk01.

Many called upon African-Americans like the Harts to see the parallels between blackface and turning native culture into costumes.

“So when ppl do blackface or dress as slave and owner for halloween ya cool with it? Yuuuuuup thats what i thought,” wrote @gymandtattooposts.

Adrienne K. on the website NativeAppropriations.com further uses the comparison between the way white Americans used negative stereotypes of both groups as a means to create the identity of a dominant white American culture.

“So, it’s clear there are large similarities between blackface and playing Indian — both are intentional acts that draw upon stereotypes and a racist history to enact whiteness — but our Nation has created a narrative in which blackface=racist, while redface=normal,” she writes. “Just because our national narrative and history has somehow normalized the phenomenon does not excuse its roots in the process of systematic erasure of the First Peoples from our homelands.”

That argument played out somewhat less eloquently on Eniko Hart’s feed, with many defending the party and calling the haters overly sensitive.

“I truly hope you and Kevin don’t apologize for this!!”@through1eye wrote to Eniko. “Welcome to the generation of offended. It’s a sad day when a child can’t even have an innocent cowboy and indian themed party.”

Neither Eniko nor Kevin Hart has commented on the controversy.

Foul. Its the same level as black face. Indians aint a joke they are a people. But niggas dont give a fuck. Niggas still play for the Redskins.

Reactions: AP2.5 and JUDAH
IT cultural insensitive but its def not the same level as blackface seeing that they just threw on native blankets. For this to be the same level as blackface they would of had to put on full outfits and paint their faces with the head dresses.

Reactions: deadeye
If a native American family was in blackface wit a bucket of kfc and a slice of watermelon you nigga s would be offended

But that's not what was done at the party. What happened at the party would be more akin to having a Hip Hop party where white people went dressed up like rappers or at least in a way that was consistent with Hip Hop culture. Again, I'm not saying that the Natives don't have the right to be offended, but that's not the same as blackface. The thing is, there is a such thing as redface, which actually is analogous to blackface. No one in that pic was in redface.

gty-182953201.jpg

Reactions: LurkerSix