Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Drake - Dark Lane Demo Tapes

Rate: Dark Lane Demo Tapes

• 5 Mics

Results are only viewable after voting.
If rap was only about storytelling we wouldn't be having this conversation. That's one of my problems when people go to bat for Kendrick. They immediately jump to his content as if he's the only rapper who does what he does or talks about what he talks about. A better matchup for Kendrick would be J. Cole. Drake is a different animal. And why do people bring up story telling as if Drake doesn't have tracks that tell stories? Do story telling tracks have to be about black struggle or social issues? Are those the only topics reserved for storytelling? I feel like people use storytelling to prop up a rapper when they know he isn't all that great outside of that.......

Just saying Pac is a great storyteller but so is Biggie.........

And you know who has a better flow, better delivery, better beat selection, better jams? We all know. It's okay to admit it. Bigger is better for those reasons. That doesn't mean you have to discount Pac at all. It's just that when it comes to rap there are multiple elements and the best rappers are the ones who can put together all of these elements in their craft. Right now I think it's Drake hands down. The nigga has the rap game in the palm of his hands and he's bending it at his will. he got here because he crafted his shit better than anyone else could. Kendrick being a better storyteller than Drake (If he even is) doesn't mean that Drake can't tell stories. I know this though. Drake is more of a total package as a rapper than Kendrick much like Bigge was to Pac.
Ok man.

After two full listens

When to Say When
Chicago Freestyle
Losses
From Florida With Love
D4L
Time Flies

all good to great tracks. Everything else is mid or reggie

Drake is not nor will ever be a better RAPPER than Kdot

a better ARTIST thats debateable

Kendrick can rap but his flow and delivery can be a tough listen. There's a whole list of rappers who sound better but probably aren't better rappers. I don't know about y'all but I put flow and delivery very high on my list of skills in a rapper. It's one of the reasons why Biggie>Pac and Jay>Nas. The ability to listen to a rapper should matter as much as their subject matter. What good is it if a nigga is rapping about important stuff and has good storytelling if it sounds trash?

It's interesting seeing the double standards though. Especially #onhere where there's pretty much a whole movement to shit on Eminem but Kendrick is untouchable. It's funny in the light.

NAH.

Kendrick rides the beat with the best of them

your ears broke

Resprctfully.

No he doesn't. He definitely has a unique and sometimes awkward flow. It's okay to admit that. I disagree that he's one of the best at riding the beat though.

Drake has plenty of storytelling tracks wtf? What's Kendrick's range?

And now Kendrick is better because he puts out socially conscious music? What if those social and political tracks aren't better than Drake's hits? This reminds me a little bit of the Jay-Z vs Nas discussion. Over the years I've gone back and forth on who's better. I've said before than Nas is the best pure rapper ever but you know what? Jay-Z is just as good on the mic and he happens to have better beats, better flow, better delivery, better jams. Jay won't ever have anything better than ILLmatic but is that enough for Nas to hold the crown? I don't think so. Especially not when Jay-Z has more albums and tons more material. It's the same argument with Drake and Kendrick. Will Drake have and album better than GKMC? Maybe not but Drake has more hits, more jams, better flow, better deliovery, better beat selection, more range, more consistency.

Look there's days when I think Nas is the goat. Just listen to iLLmatic, It Was Written and it's hard to find better shit than that from any era. But Jay-Z has Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, Vol 1, Black Album, Vol 2, American Gangster. Those are not trash albums. They're fucking hits. A lot of hits. Nas has some duds. Only hardcore Nas fans are playing Nastradamus, Street's Disciple, and Hip Hop is Dead. With Jay everything from Reasonable Doubt to Blueprint 3 still gets heavily played.

All I'm saying is when you stack them up side to side Drake is winning. If Kendrick wants to win he needs to put out some more albums and don't put out anything that won't be forgettable. TPAB is forgettable. Everything Drake has touched since Comeback Season is still heavily played and it;s quality music. I'm not arguing Drake is better simply because he has more music. He's better because he has more quality music and he can still take it to another level. I don't think Kendrick has a higher ceiling than Drake. Just like Nas with Jay. Nas ceiling won't reach what Jay is. I don't think Kendrick will touch Drake either but niggas will fall back on Kendrick being crititcally acclaimed and tell you about how his music is more meaningful to shoot down Drake. meanwhile Drake will keep churning out hits.
Drake doesnt have forgettable albums. What are Thank Me Later and Views, those are very forgettable.

Back