Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Drake - Dark Lane Demo Tapes

Rate: Dark Lane Demo Tapes

• 5 Mics

Results are only viewable after voting.
Drake is the best rapper out right now. He's been the best in the game for some years now. Niggas don't want to admit it though. Maybe because he's light skin, Jewish, was an actor, is from Canada, came through with some hot shit that was undeniable on his first two mixtapes. I don't know what it is but niggas love to hate and pretend like he's not the best in the game. It reminds me of LeBron around 2005. By 2005 Bron was the best player in the game and niggas spent so many years denying it that by the time he was peaking niggas was ready to get him outta here. Now look. He's 17 years in and he's still the undeniable best player in the world.

I think low key niggas always feel some type of way about admitting when their chosen one is not the best and somebody else is. Ultimately I think that's what people like Drake and LeBron have fallen victim too. They're the best in their profession. They have been the best for a very long time. They are still the best. Nobody has put out more quality music during Drakes run than him. Just like nobody has been better than LeBron since 2005.

It's funny when you look at how people critique Drake. Just be honest. Niggas are at the point where they intentionally hold him to a ridiculous standard just so that they can say he missed ala the LeBron haters but just like LeBron Drake delivers. He's on top of this rap shit and he has been for a while now. That's a fucking fact.

I'll said it once and I'll say it again, there's a younger generation that is coming up to artists like Drake, Kendrick, etc. Who are going to say those artists are the GOAT to them because they have experiences tied to certain events that marked a place in time. No different than when we would argue Pac and Big were the GOATs to people who were older and felt G Rap, Rakim and BDK were the GOATs. After Drake, Wayne and Kendrick, etc. it'll be someone else.

Drake is better than Kendrick. I think race and class are the two main reasons why people even put Kendrick above Drake. Niggas like to prop Kendrick up and use him as a tool to tear down Drake but Drake is better. Drake has more material, better range, longevity, a broader audience, his music ages better. To be honest Kendrick was never on Drake's level. It was just established very quickly that Kendrick would be the chosen one that people will elevate above Drake. Drake beats Kendrick in almost every category yet when niggas start ranking rappers one of the first things they say is Drake is not the best. Isn't that funny? Instead of telling us who the best is people more often will tell you who isn't the best.

I'll said it once and I'll say it again, there's a younger generation that is coming up to artists like Drake, Kendrick, etc. Who are going to say those artists are the GOAT to them because they have experiences tied to certain events that marked a place in time. No different than when we would argue Pac and Big were the GOATs to people who were older and felt G Rap, Rakim and BDK were the GOATs. After Drake, Wayne and Kendrick, etc. it'll be someone else.

Bro change the tune. It's not the same at all.

Drake is better than Kendrick. I think race and class are the two main reasons why people even put Kendrick above Drake. Niggas like to prop Kendrick up and use him as a tool to tear down Drake but Drake is better. Drake has more material, better range, longevity, a broader audience, his music ages better. To be honest Kendrick was never on Drake's level. It was just established very quickly that Kendrick would be the chosen one that people will elevate above Drake. Drake beats Kendrick in almost every category yet when niggas start ranking rappers one of the first things they say is Drake is not the best. Isn't that funny? Instead of telling us who the best is people more often will tell you who isn't the best.

How about Kendrick is better because 1) he makes better albums and 2) he doesn't have writers

How about Kendrick is better because 1) he makes better albums and 2) he doesn't have writers

Kendrick does not have better albums than Drake. Nobody is still playing TPAB. That album came and went. Put it this way. If Drake and Kendrick both put out a greatest hits album Drake would wash him. Kendrick couldn't even make a double disc of greatest hits to fuck with Drake.

As for the whole thing with writers this is once again people trying to hold Drake to a standard that they intentionally make it hard for him to overcome and they do not hold all rappers to that same standard. If you didn't know any better you'd think Drake is the only rapper ever who had a song written for him if that's even the case. I mean what are we really talking about with Drake having writers? Is it some Cube writing for NWA shit or is it Jay writing Still Dre for Dre shit? As far as I know the only songs that were even in question of being written for Drake were from a mixtape and were considered throwaway tracks. If niggas are gonna get that fiesty on writing then they are in for a rude awakening when we look behind very rappers curtain.

Drake is better than Kendrick? WTF

Yes he is. Kendrick does not have enough material to fuck with Drake. Drake has better albums and better range as an artist. Even as a rapper Drake has better range. If this were Baseball Drake is a 5 tool player. Kendrick Can hit for average and is a gold glover but Drake is a 5 tool player. What has Drake not proven he could do that every rapper who's been considered the best already has?

Yes he is. Kendrick does not have enough material to fuck with Drake. Drake has better albums and better range as an artist. Even as a rapper Drake has better range. If this were Baseball Drake is a 5 tool player. Kendrick Can hit for average and is a gold glover but Drake is a 5 tool player. What has Drake not proven he could do that every rapper who's been considered the best already has?
I'm more of a Drake fan than KDot fan, and I'd never fix my fingers to type this. The only album that could probably mess with GKMC is NWTS.

Drake 5 tool player? What are drakes storytelling tracks? We know for a fact drake cant make an album like TPAB, because he has no social or political tracks. So how much range does is he really have. What drake album you take over good kid album?

I'm more of a Drake fan than KDot fan, and I'd never fix my fingers to type this. The only album that could probably mess with GKMC is NWTS.

And Drake still has more material. If you made a top 30 songs list with both of Drake's and Kendrick's catalogs Drake would have more songs on that list.

And the other elephant in the room is this. I can admit this because personally 50 Cent is my favorite rapper of All Time. Now that being said, Kendrick has had the machine behind him. Dr. Dre is more responsible for Kendrick's success than anyone not named Kendrick Lamar. What does that have to do with any of this? Well when artist have the machine behind them they start off on 2nd base. Now to be fair Drake was put on by Wayne and Cash Money/Young Money but his career was not handled the same as Kendricks. Drake has always put out more material more consistently. Drake has evolved more as an artist. Kendrick was handled musically similar to the way Eminem was. get the Dre co-sign. Ride that co-sign combined with his own talent and abilities and just be comfortable. Let's face it. Kendrick's music is not held up to the same standards that the Drake's and J. Cole's of the world are. Kendrick having that Dre co-sign gave him the teflon that still carries him today. Kendrick only has 3 Albums (not counting Section. 80 unless you count So Far So Gone as an album) and one of them (To Pimp A Butterfly) is a forgettable album. But since that machine is behind him it will never be considered a flop but niggas will tell talk to you all day about how Drake doesn't have any classics and this and that.

Every album Drake has put out has been hot and he's about to release another one this summer that's probably gonna be another smash. Drake is about to put out his third album in four years. Kendrick has one.

And please don't get it twisted. I'm not calling Kendrick trash. I fuck with his music. I just don't believe that he stacks up to Drake head to head.

And Drake still has more material. If you made a top 30 songs list with both of Drake's and Kendrick's catalogs Drake would have more songs on that list.

And the other elephant in the room is this. I can admit this because personally 50 Cent is my favorite rapper of All Time. Now that being said, Kendrick has had the machine behind him. Dr. Dre is more responsible for Kendrick's success than anyone not named Kendrick Lamar. What does that have to do with any of this? Well when artist have the machine behind them they start off on 2nd base. Now to be fair Drake was put on by Wayne and Cash Money/Young Money but his career was not handled the same as Kendricks. Drake has always put out more material more consistently. Drake has evolved more as an artist. Kendrick was handled musically similar to the way Eminem was. get the Dre co-sign. Ride that co-sign combined with his own talent and abilities and just be comfortable. Let's face it. Kendrick's music is not held up to the same standards that the Drake's and J. Cole's of the world are. Kendrick having that Dre co-sign gave him the teflon that still carries him today. Kendrick only has 3 Albums (not counting Section. 80 unless you count So Far So Gone as an album) and one of them (To Pimp A Butterfly) is a forgettable album. But since that machine is behind him it will never be considered a flop but niggas will tell talk to you all day about how Drake doesn't have any classics and this and that.

Every album Drake has put out has been hot and he's about to release another one this summer that's probably gonna be another smash. Drake is about to put out his third album in four years. Kendrick has one.

And please don't get it twisted. I'm not calling Kendrick trash. I fuck with his music. I just don't believe that he stacks up to Drake head to head.
No, I didn't believe for a second you thought KDot was trash. With all the things you've said, in your opinion, what Drake album is better than GKMC?

Oh, and Cole World is more of a story telling rapper than a "Drake" rapper.

Drake 5 tool player? What are drakes storytelling tracks? We know for a fact drake cant make an album like TPAB, because he has no social or political tracks. So how much range does is he really have. What drake album you take over good kid album?

Drake has plenty of storytelling tracks wtf? What's Kendrick's range?

And now Kendrick is better because he puts out socially conscious music? What if those social and political tracks aren't better than Drake's hits? This reminds me a little bit of the Jay-Z vs Nas discussion. Over the years I've gone back and forth on who's better. I've said before than Nas is the best pure rapper ever but you know what? Jay-Z is just as good on the mic and he happens to have better beats, better flow, better delivery, better jams. Jay won't ever have anything better than ILLmatic but is that enough for Nas to hold the crown? I don't think so. Especially not when Jay-Z has more albums and tons more material. It's the same argument with Drake and Kendrick. Will Drake have and album better than GKMC? Maybe not but Drake has more hits, more jams, better flow, better deliovery, better beat selection, more range, more consistency.

Look there's days when I think Nas is the goat. Just listen to iLLmatic, It Was Written and it's hard to find better shit than that from any era. But Jay-Z has Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, Vol 1, Black Album, Vol 2, American Gangster. Those are not trash albums. They're fucking hits. A lot of hits. Nas has some duds. Only hardcore Nas fans are playing Nastradamus, Street's Disciple, and Hip Hop is Dead. With Jay everything from Reasonable Doubt to Blueprint 3 still gets heavily played.

All I'm saying is when you stack them up side to side Drake is winning. If Kendrick wants to win he needs to put out some more albums and don't put out anything that won't be forgettable. TPAB is forgettable. Everything Drake has touched since Comeback Season is still heavily played and it;s quality music. I'm not arguing Drake is better simply because he has more music. He's better because he has more quality music and he can still take it to another level. I don't think Kendrick has a higher ceiling than Drake. Just like Nas with Jay. Nas ceiling won't reach what Jay is. I don't think Kendrick will touch Drake either but niggas will fall back on Kendrick being crititcally acclaimed and tell you about how his music is more meaningful to shoot down Drake. meanwhile Drake will keep churning out hits.

No, I didn't believe for a second you thought KDot was trash. With all the things you've said, in your opinion, what Drake album is better than GKMC?

Oh, and Cole World is more of a story telling rapper than a "Drake" rapper.

If rap was only about storytelling we wouldn't be having this conversation. That's one of my problems when people go to bat for Kendrick. They immediately jump to his content as if he's the only rapper who does what he does or talks about what he talks about. A better matchup for Kendrick would be J. Cole. Drake is a different animal. And why do people bring up story telling as if Drake doesn't have tracks that tell stories? Do story telling tracks have to be about black struggle or social issues? Are those the only topics reserved for storytelling? I feel like people use storytelling to prop up a rapper when they know he isn't all that great outside of that.......

Just saying Pac is a great storyteller but so is Biggie.........

And you know who has a better flow, better delivery, better beat selection, better jams? We all know. It's okay to admit it. Bigger is better for those reasons. That doesn't mean you have to discount Pac at all. It's just that when it comes to rap there are multiple elements and the best rappers are the ones who can put together all of these elements in their craft. Right now I think it's Drake hands down. The nigga has the rap game in the palm of his hands and he's bending it at his will. he got here because he crafted his shit better than anyone else could. Kendrick being a better storyteller than Drake (If he even is) doesn't mean that Drake can't tell stories. I know this though. Drake is more of a total package as a rapper than Kendrick much like Bigge was to Pac.

Back