Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Drake - Dark Lane Demo Tapes

Rate: Dark Lane Demo Tapes

• 5 Mics

Results are only viewable after voting.
Drake has plenty of storytelling tracks wtf? What's Kendrick's range?

And now Kendrick is better because he puts out socially conscious music? What if those social and political tracks aren't better than Drake's hits? This reminds me a little bit of the Jay-Z vs Nas discussion. Over the years I've gone back and forth on who's better. I've said before than Nas is the best pure rapper ever but you know what? Jay-Z is just as good on the mic and he happens to have better beats, better flow, better delivery, better jams. Jay won't ever have anything better than ILLmatic but is that enough for Nas to hold the crown? I don't think so. Especially not when Jay-Z has more albums and tons more material. It's the same argument with Drake and Kendrick. Will Drake have and album better than GKMC? Maybe not but Drake has more hits, more jams, better flow, better deliovery, better beat selection, more range, more consistency.

Look there's days when I think Nas is the goat. Just listen to iLLmatic, It Was Written and it's hard to find better shit than that from any era. But Jay-Z has Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, Vol 1, Black Album, Vol 2, American Gangster. Those are not trash albums. They're fucking hits. A lot of hits. Nas has some duds. Only hardcore Nas fans are playing Nastradamus, Street's Disciple, and Hip Hop is Dead. With Jay everything from Reasonable Doubt to Blueprint 3 still gets heavily played.

All I'm saying is when you stack them up side to side Drake is winning. If Kendrick wants to win he needs to put out some more albums and don't put out anything that won't be forgettable. TPAB is forgettable. Everything Drake has touched since Comeback Season is still heavily played and it;s quality music. I'm not arguing Drake is better simply because he has more music. He's better because he has more quality music and he can still take it to another level. I don't think Kendrick has a higher ceiling than Drake. Just like Nas with Jay. Nas ceiling won't reach what Jay is. I don't think Kendrick will touch Drake either but niggas will fall back on Kendrick being crititcally acclaimed and tell you about how his music is more meaningful to shoot down Drake. meanwhile Drake will keep churning out hits.

Nas and Kendrick May be
cooking up !!

Apologies are in order to all the Drizzy drake fans for posting this in a drake album thread.. I seen all the back and forth bout Kendrick, and then the GOAT Nas was mentioned and I couldn’t help myself..

:ualreadyknow:

Last edited:
GKMC - pushed the envelope in terms of production and formulaic expression in music.

TPAB - ABW is the only place that says otherwise because niggas hate having to think about political elements or themselves in the mirror. Instead of flashy hooks and beats Kendrick placed the emphasis on a conflict in Black America people are overlooking. That was an album that exemplified a period in African American history and culture and used religion as telling points to tell a story. There is no album you can name that exemplifies that moment in time to the same degree. Also deserved every grammy it won. Album is critically acclaimed as a universal classic by Metacritic (both insider and public reviews) and other reputable outlets as one of the most significant hiphop albums of the 21st century so I could give a fuck about your subjectivity. Also shifted production style with a more jazzy approach that was later mimicked by SoundCloud artists, as well as Logic, J. Cole, Joey BadA$$ to name a few.

DAMN. - took lyricism, production and storytelling to another level. Also earned a pulitzer prize AND is actually telling another story if you play it in reverse which is what it was intended for. Album made Kendrick Lamar the first rap artist to win a pulitzer prize and was hailed for it's writing, storytelling, production and lyricim.
source.gif

I got Drake over KDot, only because Drake has more music. They both mastered their lanes so I go with Drakes deeper catalogue.

Take Care is his classic, NWTS is not a classic. That album didn't impact the year in a significant way outside of sales and didn't change the fabric of production or lyricism. Also wasn't a critically acclaimed masterpiece by critics or fans alike. Although it is one of Drake's best albums. It did however sell very well but that's it. Take Care ushered in a new sound and set the bar for where the marriage of R&B and Hip-hop would honeymoon. SoundCloud artists like Russ, Bryson Tiller, dvsn, 6lack, Tory Lanez, etc all came from that Take Care tree.

IYRTITL could be in contention but it still didn't have anywhere near the impact or critical praise as GKMC, TPAB or DAMN.

Let me also add I have no dog in this fight and I should be rooting for the dude who is from my hood but I'm keeping it 100% objective. If you like Drake that's nice but let's keep it honest. Drake is still gonna be hailed in the same regard as Kendrick Lamar if he were to drop tomorrow. But if we had to rate discographies, Kendrick Lamar has more classic albums.

Yea Take Care ushered in a completely new sound and texture because of The Weeknd. Let's be honest here...

On NWTS Drake's lyricism and flow are far more polished, and as I mentioned already the album is cohesive. Artistically as a whole, NWTS displayed more with fewer tracks compared to Take Care IMO.

I will say this though... the highlights on Take Care edges the highlights on NWTS. But a couple of highlights don't make an entire album. Just saying.

I’m on lockdown but only heard this last night. Been on repeat ever since.

I’m at the age where throwaways and singles don’t hit my radar, I only listen to albums and pick my tracks from a body of work.. (I did hear Tootsie Slide).

But for a demo tape this is pretty good.

I’m surprised Losses isn’t an album cut..is he speaking about his father? IDK but it’s a standout.

I remember on the IC when his first mixtape dropped and I said Drake will be the next Jay in terms of consistency. Years ago man. Fucking years.

This nigga found the formula and it works so well.

I can’t hate.

When to say When is the shit...

Back