Donovan McNabb says if Troy Aikman is in the Hall of Fame, he should be, too

One has 3 rings with his team success and one has basic numbers with no rings. Really not hard at all to see why Aikman is in and MncNabb not.
One was also one of the best of his era, with consistent production and lol at “basic numbers”, Aikman’s numbers is what basic looks like. I’m not saying that I agree with him being a 1st ballot hall of famer but he is not delusional for thinking he is.

Lol we’re circling back to what this thread is about. Aikman was a first ballot hall of famer, McNabb’s numbers were better and he was one of the top quarterbacks of his era, as well as having team success.

He's a top QB based on team accomplishments, and those aren't nearly as good as Aikman's. And one of the top QB's of his era? Like I said earlier...

"Where's this Mcnabb era y'all keep talking about? That's the 10 year stretch you picked as his era. Top 5 in yards, never. Top 5 in TD's once, top 5 in completion % never. Top 5 in rating twice. This is HOF-worthy?"

One was also one of the best of his era, with consistent production and lol at “basic numbers”, Aikman’s numbers is what basic looks like. I’m not saying that I agree with him being a 1st ballot hall of famer but he is not delusional for thinking he is.

We have a difference of opinion on that.

He's a top QB based on team accomplishments, and those aren't nearly as good as Aikman's. And one of the top QB's of his era? Like I said earlier...

"Where's this Mcnabb era y'all keep talking about? That's the 10 year stretch you picked as his era. Top 5 in yards, never. Top 5 in TD's once, top 5 in completion % never. Top 5 in rating twice. This is HOF-worthy?"
That’s not the argument we all know WHY Aikman is in the hall. He was the QB of a dynasty, if he had those same numbers on the Bucs, in that same time frame he would be forgotten about by now.

Yes he has hall of fame numbers. One of the best of his era (that counts for something) with team success (that counts for something) sounds like a hall of famer to me. You can’t name too many in his era who year in year out was consistent, even guys with “better numbers” weren’t able to maintain that play for long. If no rings was a factor then certain guys wouldn’t be in.

Reactions: Inglewood_B
mcnabb was great in his prime but in no way, shape, fashion or form is he a hall of famer. and ftr troy aikman was good but he is one of the most overhyped qb's ever. with that said aikman got it done when it mattered the most. i personally think jim kelly was more talented than aikman but those three rings and back to back blowouts of the bills ends that comparison. that same logic applies to the mcnabb/aikman comparison. troy's claim to fame is his 3 rings. mcnabb's claim to fame is going 1-5 in the nfccg and literally chocking and pucking in the super bowl. his last few seasons in dc and minn didn't help either. the only way he's getting in the hall of fame is to buy a ticket.

Last edited:
  • Ether
Reactions: Revolver Ocelot
That’s not the argument we all know WHY Aikman is in the hall. He was the QB of a dynasty, if he had those same numbers on the Bucs, in that same time frame he would be forgotten about by now.

Yes he has hall of fame numbers. One of the best of his era (that counts for something) with team success (that counts for something) sounds like a hall of famer to me. You can’t name too many in his era who year in year out was consistent, even guys with “better numbers” weren’t able to maintain that play for long. If no rings was a factor then certain guys wouldn’t be in.

He was a second tier QB during his era. His team success is 1 NFC Championship (let's be honest, nobody's really impressed by division titles), and there's no ribbon for participating in a conference championship game

Reactions: SKPJR
If you're a Hall of Famer, you're a Hall of Famer. There is no separate room for those who make it on the first ballot. The only reason that a person, with the credentials to be in the Hall, shouldn't get in on the first ballot is because there are more worthy people taking the allotted spaces that year. Not because some writers decide it's just not their time yet. Either you belong or you don't.

and lets no pretend that mcnabb didnt have great teams. t.o. and brian dawkins are already in the hof and jason peters and in all likely hood andy reid are on their way. and that doesnt include perenial pro bowlers like tra thomas, brian westbrook, desean jackson, jeremiah trotter, hugh douglas, asante samual, chad lewis, etc. the pieces were there but mcnabb wasnt able to get them over the top. i hate tom brady's guts but image what his numbers would look like if he had been surrounded by that much talent.
mcnabb was good but he isnt even close to being a hofer. i think mcnabb is better than eli but eli has 2 rings. i dont think eli is a hof qb but he has a much better chance of getting in before mcnabb. what you do in crunch time in big games matters. eli was clutch when it mattered most and mcnabb wasnt. even though i think mcnabb was a better than eli what eli did in those 2 super bowl wins put him ahead on mcnabb. mcnabb just couldnt get it done. steve mcnair>>>>>>donovan mcnabb

Last edited:
  • Ether
He was a second tier QB during his era. His team success is 1 NFC Championship (let's be honest, nobody's really impressed by division titles), and there's no ribbon for participating in a conference championship game
Who was better? I already said that Favre, Peyton and Brady were better. Now let’s go through the list of other starters who were starters for the majority of the decade.

2004-2009 Big Ben?
Jon Kitna?
Chad Pennington?
Drew Bledsoe?
Jay Fiedler?
Steve McNair?
Mark Brunell?
David Garrard?
Matt Hasselbeck?
Jake Plummer?
Rich Gannon?
Drew Brees?
Trent Green?
Kerry Collins?
Eli Manning?
Dante Culpepper?
Rex Grossman?
Mike Vick?
Aaron Brooks?
Jake Delhomme?
Jeff Garcia?
Marc Bulger?
Kurt Warner? (we already talked about him)

and lets no pretend that mcnabb didnt have great teams. t.o. and brian dawkins are already in the hof and jason peters and in all likely hood andy reid are on their way. and that doesnt include perenial pro bowlers like tra thomas, brian westbrook, desean jackson, jeremiah trotter, hugh douglas, asante samual, chad lewis, etc. the pieces were there but mcnabb wasnt able to get them over the top. i hate tom brady's guts but image what his numbers would look like if he had been surrounded by that much talent.
mcnabb was good but he isnt even close to being a hofer. i think mcnabb is better than eli but eli has 2 rings. i dont think eli is a hof qb but he has a much better chance of getting in before mcnabb. what you do in crunch time in big games matters. eli was clutch when it mattered most and mcnabb wasnt. even though i think mcnabb was a better than eli what eli did in those 2 super bowl wins put him ahead on mcnabb. mcnabb just couldnt get it done. steve mcnair>>>>>>donovan mcnabb
They had a good defense but they didn’t have much on offense. T.O played half the 04 season and missed the other season due to issues with the team. His only other consistent weapon were Staley and Westbrook. Who was he throwing to Freddie Mitchell? Pinkston, Thrash? Reggie Brown, Stallworth? He got Jackson and Maclin etc towards the end.

Who was better? I already said that Favre, Peyton and Brady were better. Now let’s go through the list of other starters who were starters for the majority of the decade.

2004-2009 Big Ben?
Jon Kitna?
Chad Pennington?
Drew Bledsoe?
Jay Fiedler?
Steve McNair?
Mark Brunell?
David Garrard?
Matt Hasselbeck?
Jake Plummer?
Rich Gannon?
Drew Brees?
Trent Green?
Kerry Collins?
Eli Manning?
Dante Culpepper?
Rex Grossman?
Mike Vick?
Aaron Brooks?
Jake Delhomme?
Jeff Garcia?
Marc Bulger?
rich gannon, steve mcnair and a healthy kurt warner were definitely better than donovan mcnabb. and there's no question that playoff, crunch time, big game eli was better than mcnabb. i would also take a healthy, pre injury daunte culpepper over mcnabb. and there was a reason that andy reid signed mike vick and traded mcnabb within the division.

• Cap
Reactions: Dwayne
They had a good defense but they didn’t have much on offense. T.O played half the 04 season and missed the other season due to issues with the team. His only other consistent weapon were Staley and Westbrook. Who was he throwing to Freddie Mitchell? Pinkston, Thrash? Reggie Brown, Stallworth? He got Jackson and Maclin etc towards the end.
weak arguement. who was brady throwing to besides gronk and moss? gronk had a shortened injury plagued career and moss was only there for a few none championshp seasons. chad lewis was a 3x pro bowl te and brian westbrook and duece staley were just as dominant as receivers as they were runners. not to mention he had one the greatest offensive minds of the era as a head coach. try again

• Ether
rich gannon, steve mcnair and a healthy kurt warner were definitely better than donovan mcnabb. and there's no question that playoff, crunch time, big game eli was better than mcnabb. i would also take a healthy, pre injury daunte culpepper over mcnabb. and there was a reason that andy reid signed mike vick and traded mcnabb within the division.

Don't forget Brees

The middle portion of Warner’s career hurts that argument. Rich Gannon was done by 04, McNair numbers were close but McNabb was the better passer. Culpepper stat wise had one season that was better than McNabb.

weak arguement. who was brady throwing to besides gronk and moss? gronk had a shortened injury plagued career and moss was only there for a few none championshp seasons. chad lewis was a 3x pro bowl te and brian westbrook and duece staley were just as dominant as receivers as they were runners. not to mention he had one the greatest offensive minds of the era as a head coach. try again
What does Brady got to do with the price of tea in China?

2004-2009 Big Ben?
Jon Kitna?
Chad Pennington?
Drew Bledsoe?
Jay Fiedler?
Steve McNair?
Mark Brunell?
David Garrard?
Matt Hasselbeck?
Jake Plummer?
Rich Gannon?
Drew Brees?
Trent Green?
Kerry Collins?
Eli Manning?
Dante Culpepper?
Rex Grossman?
Mike Vick?
Aaron Brooks?
Jake Delhomme?
Jeff Garcia?
Marc Bulger?

You've gotten a list now. And he's protected (by how you're looking at him) by having a short ass career as far as being productive. He entered the league the season between Peyton and Brady, but is protected from comparison to the 04 draft class because he fell off early. Rivers and Big Ben are hands down better. Eli is as good or better, but a clearly favorite to make the HoF over Mcnabb. Fizzling out early isn't a defense.

You've gotten a list now. And he's protected (by how you're looking at him) by having a short ass career as far as being productive. He entered the league the season between Peyton and Brady, but is protected from comparison to the 04 draft class because he fell off early. Rivers and Big Ben are hands down better. Eli is as good or better, but a clearly favorite to make the HoF over Mcnabb. Fizzling out early isn't a defense.
Who? Yes Rivers and Ben are better. But they weren’t better during McNabb’s era. If Eli is as good as McNabb and you think he is a hall of famer then why can’t McNabb get in?

Who? Yes Rivers and Ben are better. But they weren’t better during McNabb’s era. If Eli is as good as McNabb and you think he is a hall of famer then why can’t McNabb get in?

That's my point. You're protecting him from comparison because he wasn't good enough to last so his "era" is short, and that's protecting him. You know why Eli gets in. Peyton came in before him, Brasy a year after and Big Ben, Rivers, and Eli easily count for their era.