Welcome To aBlackWeb

Did Bryson Tiller's "Trap Soul" start the decline of real RnB?

yall want sangers? they gotta come from the church.

the youth aint going to church.

also, there are people who do be sanging, they just dont get the looks or do some shit that fucks up their looks.

H.E.R
Daniel Caesar
Leon Bridges
Baby Rose

they all doing a form of OG R&B music.

A lot played a part in the decline for me, I wouldn't blame it solely on the album "Trap-soul"

The lack of real "singers". I remember when singing in a Baptist church or church period was part of a singer's background, now you are pulling singers out of strip clubs, bottle service women wanna become Whitney Houston, chicks who really can't sing. Same thing can be said about the male singers, these dudes can't hold their own with Nokio from Dru Hill, the ad-lib, lip singing nigga in the group​
It's a lot that has played a demise in R&B: The structure of songs/albums, there are no more background vocals on majority of these songs that are out now, (well the ones I hear), no background singers on lead singles, I could remember when you had background singers/vocals (whether male of female or the singer would do it themselves like Babyface and Chuckii Booker, Gerald Levert, MJ) laid on a song(s) and the singer themselves would ad-lib over those parts and go in on that particular part of the song or chorus. Now it's just the singer singing in a monotone key. Lack of emotions throughout albums and the narrative of albums. I remember when R&B acts would have you in the mirror singing with a brush or the remote controller to their songs, dayum near thought you was the nigga on the record, not the case no more. I see chicks singing to Summer Walker and Ella Mai shit, shit be a slow painful watch, it's almost as if they are dying a slow death in the moment smh.​
Most of the new artists are not singing about any strong love connection. Most are singing about pain, fucking over someone, or being in a superior position than their mate. That's not love, when they do sing about loving someone or being in love, it's almost coming from a selfish stance.​
Anita Baker, that woman, sings her soul out on her songs "Giving you the best that I got", I feel like she will jump in front of a bullet for her man if it was to came down to it, when I listen to her music at times, I feel that connection, I think her old ass be singing to me, I be lowkey cheating on my lady when I listen to her, she don't know it, Anita got a song called "Talk to Me" and in the song she's pleading for her man to talk to her about his problems, she's asking him what's wrong with him. She told the nigga to open up his heart. Got dayum, if it doesn't get no better for a man to have his woman to be that concern and that invested, this is how R&B use to be, Women actually giving a shit about how a man feel and his feelings. Men use to do the same thing in songs addressing women needs. That dayum woman, Anita, said in the same song, "she likes to listen" man look. She's not the only R&B act that's dedicated her voice to the appreciation of a man, Mary, Anglea Winbush, Whitney got a song called "You Give Good Love".. I dare a nigga's ole lady play that shit to him or catch her listening to that shit, I bet you Pelican tickets you'll get on your knees and marry that bitch in a NY second.​
Aint no R&B chick in 2020 singing, humming on that type of stance. These chicks trying to have you eat their farts and shit, FOH with that slime shit.​
This love, caring, dedication connection is lost in these songs, and that's not the narrative that is promoted.​
The audience is another key factor, The R&B acts that were teens-20s, were singing about love, caring, and dedication, your Immatures, SWV, 702, Mint Condition, Hi-Five, Monica, Brandy, Ginuwine, Dru Hill, Jodeci, Janet Jacksons etc, That narrative from that group in that age range was promoted on the airwaves and in "black households". Their writers wrote songs/albums to push that narrative to their fanbase. The R&B acts that were a bit older, catered towards the 30 and up crowd, their songs were still in rotation, such as LSG, Michael Jackson, Whitney, Gerald Levert, Johnny Gill, Toni Braxton, Angela Winbush, Freddie Jackson, Luther, Stephanie Mills etc, these, R&B acts, even though older, were still singing about love, caring and dedication and their music catered to their older fanbase who still checked for their albums. The narrative said the same thing, which was appreciation for their mate, which is the foundation of R&B.​
Those who sing about pain, those R&B acts, such as Mary J, I can't think of the male Mary J but their songs about their pain that they would experience, but they would always come back around to loving and caring and the dedication that they had for wanting and having a relationship with their mate.​
Rarely you heard the "fuck a nigga, eat my pussy, bitches aint shit, I don't need a bitch, eat my farts," narrative that's being pushed. After listening to albums in the past, you walked away with a sense of wanting to be in a relationship or find love. Shid these albums make a person stay single and be on some sleep around shit.​
The R&B acts that are catering to the teens and folks in their 20s are not on the whole loving, caring, dedication, more so on that I don't need anybody, it's either may way or no way, or I'll have the next person lined up narrative​
I be curious to know those who are married or in a relationship listen to when they are in chill mode with their mate. All these R&B acts that are out now aint pushing folks to stay together or appreciate their mate. Shid you fuck around and listen to one of these new R&B acts and by track 8 on their album, you and your ole lady will be dayum near on the brinks of a break-up or fussing about something.​
I’m married and if me and the misses on the way to a date or we chillin at the crib we’ll play shit like this...

R&B acts now don't touch the soul, not my soul, shit don't have me picking up the phone wanting to say I'm sorry to the shit I did, nah folk, I remember R&B acts off listening to a song or 2 or the album by an artist, would make you pick up the phone or write a letter apologizing for something you done wrong, Songs use to have you thinking you lost a good one, R&B songs use to make you fall in love or want to be a better person for your mate. The reason I think it was that way was because the shit touch your soul, shit hit your consciences and sub-consciences where it had you going crazy.

Shid a night of Teddy P,Toni Braxton, Al Green and Tevin Campbell will have a young nigga walking right again after a slip up. Shit aint like that no mo. Folks like Jacquees and Summer, Jheno aint getting niggas back on track, Listening to them acts, I'm trying to light some incense, candles and fuck mo new bitches

Good topic, the essence and core of R&B I don't think won't be the same, Shouts out to Dave Hollister

You'll never see a group of teens under 15 sing songs like this

Last edited:
Shid niggas forgot the R and the B...

I haven't heard a new R&B singer hit a high note since 2002, maybe I'm not checking in the right places.

Makes me wanna ask out loud what are chicks and niggas playing at their weddings, Summer Walker? Chris Brown

You know it's bad when Young Boy and Rob Wave music out here making chicks cry after a break-up. Shits stupid

I be curious to know those who are married or in a relationship listen to when they are in chill mode with their mate.

I got lucky my wife like gangsta rap! So when we riding around city gangsta shit coming through the speakers.
:celebrate:

We listen the old shit from our parents era all the way up to Dave Hollister era mainly. Rarely do we listen to the new folks. Every now and then we will find something that we like and rock out to it though.

I got lucky my wife like gangsta rap! So when we riding around city gangsta shit coming through the speakers.
:celebrate:

We listen the old shit from our parents era all the way up to Dave Hollister era mainly. Rarely do we listen to the new folks. Every now and then we will find something that we like and rock out to it though.

A nigga in the barbershop, big brudda og ass nigga, said if she aint never heard of Freddie Jackson, or The Chronic, he can't take her too serious Lol. smh.

I tried listening to that new Jheno album, I couldn't do it, I just got upset for no reason... like how old people get mad just to be getting mad, be mad at the weather and shit.

Shits stupid how the R&B game has gotten.

A nigga in the barbershop, big brudda og ass nigga, said if she aint never heard of Freddie Jackson, or The Chronic, he can't take her too serious Lol. smh.

I tried listening to that new Jheno album, I couldn't do it, I just got upset for no reason... like how old people get mad just to be getting mad, be mad at the weather and shit.

Shits stupid how the R&B game has gotten.

That nigga in barbershop is fucking hilarious but that's some real shit!

The wife and I tried to listen to that Jheno album and we both felt like is just one long ass monotone song. We didn't even actually finish the shit cause she doesn't change up shit about her voice from song to song.

So I completely understand why you got mad. When you older you realize you ain't got to be wasting on bullshit that album was complete bullshit.

That nigga in barbershop is fucking hilarious but that's some real shit!

The wife and I tried to listen to that Jheno album and we both felt like is just one long ass monotone song. We didn't even actually finish the shit cause she doesn't change up shit about her voice from song to song.

So I completely understand why you got mad. When you older you realize you ain't got to be wasting on bullshit that album was complete bullshit.

Facts right there.

Man, I've been digging in the crates listening to old R&B cats whole albums, the C and D acts, male and female

I'm on Gerald Levert 2nd album, we really never appreciated this man voice. Never in my life I would be saying, "Man I wish I would have listen to do more" Under-rated ass singer, he had the group Silk singing background vocals on some of his stuff.

Him and David Hollister are under-rated. They should have at least 4 or 5 Soul Train Awards, at least

Facts right there.

Man, I've been digging in the crates listening to old R&B cats whole albums, the C and D acts, male and female

I'm on Gerald Levert 2nd album, we really never appreciated this man voice. Never in my life I would be saying, "Man I wish I would have listen to do more" Under-rated ass singer, he had the group Silk singing background vocals on some of his stuff.

Him and David Hollister are under-rated. They should have at least 4 or 5 Soul Train Awards, at least

Gerald Levert that nigga. To most of the public he definitely underrated but I always rocked with dude. Dave Hollister as well. I really started paying attention to Gerald Levert from the song Casanova back in the day and Dave Hollister when was in the group BlackStreet.

Those are 2 singing ass niggas.

Facts right there.

Because of the Casanova song I already knew that was Gerald Levert singing by the trash can in New Jack City and Casanova came out 4 years before the movie

Honestly I have only heard one Bryson Tiller song ..., the one w the J Cole beat and he wasn’t singing on that

Because of the Casanova song I already knew that was Gerald Levert singing by the trash can in New Jack City and Casanova came out 4 years before the movie

Living in the cittttttyyy

Them Levert Boys,

Dude was on that song with Heavy D, Just cooling.. Pop Pop Pop goes my mind,Master P flipped the song and made Moby Dick sing Pop Pop Pop goes my nine Lol smh

Man Gerald Levert was that dude, the public never gave dude his credit

For example.

I never heard the guitar/string riff in a song none this decade that you hear at @0:29. When you would hear that in a song, you knew that song/production was fire.

The production of this song and many other songs separates today's R&B from the past, Here you have a low melody introduction, then a rising climax (bridge) point in the middle of the song, and high-melody finish towards the end of the song, the production shifts throughout the song, you can hear how the production builds itself up.

The bridge builds up after the nigga pours out his heart, even that's been taking out of music now, women R&B acts did it in their songs, those interludes gives the record song life, but, Wanya is peeping around the corner, ready to just his all on this part.

The organ goes into a different key, and Wanya comes in with his high note, Yeahhhh, (the placement of all this matters, the double takes) and the background vocals matches the piano/organ, lays on top of the shit so eloquently, the nigga told that hoe, "you gotta believe in the spirit of love" and Wanya goes on his rant with emotions through singing, the emotions are coming through the nigga voice/singing ability, and he's in the right pitch/key with organ/piano, the background vocals are drifting along the production and you hear the guitar/riff and Wanya let's loose with his range, that shit give him his freedom to just be creative with his voice and add his own signature to the song, with the ad-libbing over the background vocals, stretching the words and then lowering down the tones/pitch in his voice after the climax dies down and then the production goes back up and dude's pitch rises with the production.

Man that's fucking producing, fuk this new shit. Shits stupid

Same shit

Back