Welcome To aBlackWeb

Did Bryson Tiller's "Trap Soul" start the decline of real RnB?

Started with TQ, then got picked up by R. Kelly, then popularized by Trey Songz.

If you want to blame anyone start with them 3.

man i aint thought about TQ since that interview he did with AHH talking about the cash money shit

LMAO

this dude jamel stay delivering

I'd say Drake started the real decline of RnB.

Not because his music ain't dope , cuz I fuck with most of his music, but because Drake has been the biggest artist in the world for the past 10 years and most artists and labels have been trying to replicate his sound. Drake's style of RnB isnt real RnB. Its dope, but we do t need 100 fake drake's and that's what we got.

Tory lanez "say it" sounds like drake. Trap soul sounds like drake. It's just a bunch of drake clones. Even the women sound like drake.

You dont need a real voice to pull off the drake sound and now we're stuck with mad drake clones with mediocre/ trash voices.

This shit is nuts.

I'm not blaming anybody for the way these artists sound but the artists themselves. Tiller is the reason why Tiller sounds like he does, same with Tink, same with whoever.

Clearly they're making the music they want to make and they can make something different tomorrow or never make music again.

Blaming Drake or R Kelly for how these new people sound releases them from any artistic license they have to make what they want to make

I was told by a younger cat that Trap Soul actually was the beginning of the new R&B wave. I'm not as up on the new stuff as I used to be, but I personally feel like it came a long way since 09 and before so I'm inclined to agree. I know y'all wasn't layin y'all lady down to Bottoms Up and Transform Ya.

No because if anything, new Jack swing made it to where you could dance to Rnb songs at clubs/parties at that time and lasted like 5 min
That 5 min in reality = years; more than enough time to make an impact in the music scene. regardless he showed you can make RnB outside of the norm and be successful. ballads havent entirely gone away (sooo many rnb projects released since mid 90s that include this form of song composition), its just not considered Popular music as it was beforehand. probably why you dont hear it as much these days

It really began when the Dream blew up as a solo artist
first, this is Jamel's bat signal...he should be in here shortly. He hate the dream

second...ehhh...even with his "trap" beats his content wasnt nearly as raunchy as some of the shit that's out now

A lot played a part in the decline for me, I wouldn't blame it solely on the album "Trap-soul"

The lack of real "singers". I remember when singing in a Baptist church or church period was part of a singer's background, now you are pulling singers out of strip clubs, bottle service women wanna become Whitney Houston, chicks who really can't sing. Same thing can be said about the male singers, these dudes can't hold their own with Nokio from Dru Hill, the ad-lib, lip singing nigga in the group​
It's a lot that has played a demise in R&B: The structure of songs/albums, there are no more background vocals on majority of these songs that are out now, (well the ones I hear), no background singers on lead singles, I could remember when you had background singers/vocals (whether male of female or the singer would do it themselves like Babyface and Chuckii Booker, Gerald Levert, MJ) laid on a song(s) and the singer themselves would ad-lib over those parts and go in on that particular part of the song or chorus. Now it's just the singer singing in a monotone key. Lack of emotions throughout albums and the narrative of albums. I remember when R&B acts would have you in the mirror singing with a brush or the remote controller to their songs, dayum near thought you was the nigga on the record, not the case no more. I see chicks singing to Summer Walker and Ella Mai shit, shit be a slow painful watch, it's almost as if they are dying a slow death in the moment smh.​
Most of the new artists are not singing about any strong love connection. Most are singing about pain, fucking over someone, or being in a superior position than their mate. That's not love, when they do sing about loving someone or being in love, it's almost coming from a selfish stance.​
Anita Baker, that woman, sings her soul out on her songs "Giving you the best that I got", I feel like she will jump in front of a bullet for her man if it was to came down to it, when I listen to her music at times, I feel that connection, I think her old ass be singing to me, I be lowkey cheating on my lady when I listen to her, she don't know it, Anita got a song called "Talk to Me" and in the song she's pleading for her man to talk to her about his problems, she's asking him what's wrong with him. She told the nigga to open up his heart. Got dayum, if it doesn't get no better for a man to have his woman to be that concern and that invested, this is how R&B use to be, Women actually giving a shit about how a man feel and his feelings. Men use to do the same thing in songs addressing women needs. That dayum woman, Anita, said in the same song, "she likes to listen" man look. She's not the only R&B act that's dedicated her voice to the appreciation of a man, Mary, Anglea Winbush, Whitney got a song called "You Give Good Love".. I dare a nigga's ole lady play that shit to him or catch her listening to that shit, I bet you Pelican tickets you'll get on your knees and marry that bitch in a NY second.​
Aint no R&B chick in 2020 singing, humming on that type of stance. These chicks trying to have you eat their farts and shit, FOH with that slime shit.​
This love, caring, dedication connection is lost in these songs, and that's not the narrative that is promoted.​
The audience is another key factor, The R&B acts that were teens-20s, were singing about love, caring, and dedication, your Immatures, SWV, 702, Mint Condition, Hi-Five, Monica, Brandy, Ginuwine, Dru Hill, Jodeci, Janet Jacksons etc, That narrative from that group in that age range was promoted on the airwaves and in "black households". Their writers wrote songs/albums to push that narrative to their fanbase. The R&B acts that were a bit older, catered towards the 30 and up crowd, their songs were still in rotation, such as LSG, Michael Jackson, Whitney, Gerald Levert, Johnny Gill, Toni Braxton, Angela Winbush, Freddie Jackson, Luther, Stephanie Mills etc, these, R&B acts, even though older, were still singing about love, caring and dedication and their music catered to their older fanbase who still checked for their albums. The narrative said the same thing, which was appreciation for their mate, which is the foundation of R&B.​
Those who sing about pain, those R&B acts, such as Mary J, I can't think of the male Mary J but their songs about their pain that they would experience, but they would always come back around to loving and caring and the dedication that they had for wanting and having a relationship with their mate.​
Rarely you heard the "fuck a nigga, eat my pussy, bitches aint shit, I don't need a bitch, eat my farts," narrative that's being pushed. After listening to albums in the past, you walked away with a sense of wanting to be in a relationship or find love. Shid these albums make a person stay single and be on some sleep around shit.​
The R&B acts that are catering to the teens and folks in their 20s are not on the whole loving, caring, dedication, more so on that I don't need anybody, it's either may way or no way, or I'll have the next person lined up narrative​
I be curious to know those who are married or in a relationship listen to when they are in chill mode with their mate. All these R&B acts that are out now aint pushing folks to stay together or appreciate their mate. Shid you fuck around and listen to one of these new R&B acts and by track 8 on their album, you and your ole lady will be dayum near on the brinks of a break-up or fussing about something.​

Last edited:
A lot played a part in the decline for me, I wouldn't blame it solely on the album "Trap-soul"

The lack of real "singers". I remember when singing in a Baptist church or church period was part of a singer's background, now you are pulling singers out of strip clubs, bottle service women wanna become Whitney Houston, chicks who really can't sing. Same thing can be said about the male singers, these dudes can't hold their own with Nokio from Dru Hill, the ad-lib, lip singing nigga in the group​
It's a lot that has played a demise in R&B: The structure of songs/albums, there are no more background vocals on majority of these songs that are out now, (well the ones I hear), no background singers on lead singles, I could remember when you had background singers/vocals (whether male of female or the singer would do it themselves like Babyface and Chuckii Booker, Gerald Levert, MJ) laid on a song(s) and the singer themselves would ad-lib over those parts and go in on that particular part of the song or chorus. Now it's just the singer singing in a monotone key. Lack of emotions throughout albums and the narrative of albums. I remember when R&B acts would have you in the mirror singing with a brush or the remote controller to their songs, dayum near thought you was the nigga on the record, not the case no more. I see chicks singing to Summer Walker and Ella Mai shit, shit be a slow painful watch, it's almost as if they are dying a slow death in the moment smh.​
Most of the new artists are not singing about any strong love connection. Most are singing about pain, fucking over someone, or being in a superior position than their mate. That's not love, when they do sing about loving someone or being in love, it's almost coming from a selfish stance.​
Anita Baker, that woman, sings her soul out on her songs "Giving you the best that I got", I feel like she will jump in front of a bullet for her man if it was to came down to it, when I listen to her music at times, I feel that connection, I think her old ass be singing to me, I be lowkey cheating on my lady when I listen to her, she don't know it, Anita got a song called "Talk to Me" and in the song she's pleading for her man to talk to her about his problems, she's asking him what's wrong with him. She told the nigga to open up his heart. Got dayum, if it doesn't get no better for a man to have his woman to be that concern and that invested, this is how R&B use to be, Women actually giving a shit about how a man feel and his feelings. Men use to do the same thing in songs addressing women needs. That dayum woman, Anita, said in the same song, "she likes to listen" man look. She's not the only R&B act that's dedicated her voice to the appreciation of a man, Mary, Anglea Winbush, Whitney got a song called "You Give Good Love".. I dare a nigga's ole lady play that shit to him or catch her listening to that shit, I bet you Pelican tickets you'll get on your knees and marry that bitch in a NY second.​
Aint no R&B chick in 2020 singing, humming on that type of stance. These chicks trying to have you eat their farts and shit, FOH with that slime shit.​
This love, caring, dedication connection is lost in these songs, and that's not the narrative that is promoted.​
The audience is another key factor, The R&B acts that were teens-20s, were singing about love, caring, and dedication, your Immatures, SWV, 702, Mint Condition, Hi-Five, Monica, Brandy, Ginuwine, Dru Hill, Jodeci, Janet Jacksons etc, That narrative from that group in that age range was promoted on the airwaves and in "black households". Their writers wrote songs/albums to push that narrative to their fanbase. The R&B acts that were a bit older, catered towards the 30 and up crowd, their songs were still in rotation, such as LSG, Michael Jackson, Whitney, Gerald Levert, Johnny Gill, Toni Braxton, Angela Winbush, Freddie Jackson, Luther, Stephanie Mills etc, these, R&B acts, even though older, were still singing about love, caring and dedication and their music catered to their older fanbase who still checked for their albums. The narrative said the same thing, which was appreciation for their mate, which is the foundation of R&B.​
Those who sing about pain, those R&B acts, such as Mary J, I can't think of the male Mary J but their songs about their pain that they would experience, but they would always come back around to loving and caring and the dedication that they had for want and having a relationship with their mate.​
Rarely you heard the "fuck a nigga, eat my pussy, bitches aint shit, I don't need a bitch, eat my farts," narrative that's being pushed. After listening to albums in the past, you walked away with a sense of wanting to be in a relationship or find love. Shid these albums make a person stay single and be on some sleep around shit.​
The R&B acts that are catering to the teens and folks in their 20s are not on the whole loving, caring, dedication, more so on that I don't need anybody, it's either may way or no way, or I'll have the next person lined up narrative​
I be curious to know those who are married or in a relationship listen to when they are in chill mode with their mate. All these R&B acts that are out now aint pushing folks to stay together or appreciate their mate. Shid you fuck around and listen to one of these new R&B acts and by track 8 on their album, you and your ole lady will be dayum near on the brinks of a break-up or fussing about something.​

tenor.gif

Production played a part.

In the older R&B songs/albums, as I stated in my previous post, you had background singers/vocals all throughout the song, which gave the song more life and the singer more creativities , range, and also gave them their own signature that would follow them throughout their careers. None of these new R&B acts have their own signature, meaning when their songs come on or you hear them on songs, they are bland, there's nothing that's gonna wild you with them, well me, that's how I look.

SWV's Coco, when I would hear her voice, her tone and the key she sung in on records, I just knew she would go in, when the bridge came in on the song, I just knew shit was about to get ugly. Same with Luther, Tony Thompson from Hi-Five, Mary J, Ginuwine, Sisqo etc,

The production of the songs matched the singer's capability, not to get to technical, the producer would tell the singer, to do a double over this and that part, which would enhance that particular part in that song, which would get stuck in your head until you're 99 years old. That shit aint happening no more. Or the producer would add and take away parts throughout the song, which allowed the singer voice to float over the production and you'll be in a concert singing that part loudly when she or he hold the mic out to the crowd

A particular word or Line in the stanza/bar would be "stretched" in a range where it would again enhance and show off the singer's voice, or range of the singer. That shit aint happening today, these niggas are str8 humming their way through the production.

Production lacks bridges and loop heads for the singer to be so call free and pour out the emotions to match their words for the song. Shit is stupid nowadays. Niggas don't understand music

Too many 808 drum patterns, no horns, strings, build up in the music. Shits stupid now.

Back