Welcome To aBlackWeb

De’Coldest ToEvaDoIt Crawford (football player name goes viral bruuuuh)

lol His mom is looking like a genius now. She gave dude instant brand recognition.

I like our names we need ethnic markers I want our descendants to know DeShawn is black, Dalante, TyMar and etc.

You're not wrong. I don't think people really have a problem with made up black names. The problem is with this need a lot of black pepole have with constantly pushing the envelope. Like I think pretty much everyone is cool with DeShawn. However, someone inevitably pushing it to DeShawnarious is what people tend to roll their eyes at.

We not gon sit up here and act like DeColdest aint a dumb name though lololol

lol It's a dumb name for sure. That said, I look at it as a helluva gamble on his mom's part. If he is a bust, then the name is just a constant reminder for him of how he didn't live up to it. If he does have some success, and winds up making millions of dollars because of the marketability of the name, then dumb or not, the name would have paid off.

I met a chick that named her child LaQuinta because that's where she thought her daughter was conceived and she thought it sounded like a reasonable name. There are no rules. lol

I really hate when people say that having a unique name is somehow a negative or only black people give their children made up names. White people give their kids wild ass names all the time and you never hear how it's going to be some sort of a "hinderance".

I really hate when people say that having a unique name is somehow a negative or only black people give their children made up names. White people give their kids wild ass names all the time and you never hear how it's going to be some sort of a "hinderance".

That's because it won't necessarily be a hinderance. Studies show to this day that, there are still companies out there throwing away applications immediately just based on name screening. I'm not saying black people shouldn't be able to name their kids what they want, but let's not act like similar actions always bear out the same consequences for white and black people.

Nobody talks about how ratchet and lazy white surnames were back in the day

“Oh you John’s son? Aight bet Johnson”

“You got a garden? What up Gardner?!”

That's because it won't necessarily be a hinderance. Studies show to this day that, there are still companies out there throwing away applications immediately just based on name screening. I'm not saying black people shouldn't be able to name their kids what they want, but let's not act like similar actions always bear out the same consequences for white and black people.

The person that throws out an application because the applicants name looks "black" is the same person that will write you off and reject you as soon as you show up and they see you have brown skin. A racist is going to be a racist regardless, naming your kid John or Sarah is not giving your kid some huge advantage....

Last edited:
Back