Welcome To aBlackWeb

De’Coldest ToEvaDoIt Crawford (football player name goes viral bruuuuh)

Having a name live DeShawn and DeColdest is so different.

One is slang for being great at something

I rather folks make up a name than to use DeColdest ToEvaDoit Crawford. Its just on completely different levels.

Its not wrong just hella funny

I really hate when people say that having a unique name is somehow a negative or only black people give their children made up names. White people give their kids wild ass names all the time and you never hear how it's going to be some sort of a "hinderance".

Called a lady from Omaha the other day I think she was a lil hood but she was like “it’s not alot of black folks with your name your parents made sure you’d get a job”. Meanwhile my name is British as hell

Called a lady from Omaha the other day I think she was a lil hood but she was like “it’s not alot of black folks with your name your parents made sure you’d get a job”. Meanwhile my name is British as hell

I'm pretty sure my name has opened a number of doors 'cause these white folks didn't know what they were getting. And when I speak on the phone, my professional voice has nary a hint of Blackness in it. They don't find out what I am until the face-to-face or video call.

The person that throws out an application because the applicants name looks "black" is the same person that will write you off and reject you as soon as you show up and they see you have brown skin. A racist is going to be a racist regardless, naming your kid John or Sarah is not giving your kid some huge advantage....

At most companies, the person screening apps and the person performing interviews are different. Your chances of getting a job are much better if you actually make it to the interview than if some undercover racist aborted your shit from the start.

I'm not saying that naming your kid, John or Sarah would give you an advantage. I'm saying that all the studies on this subjects have shown that naming your kid something black sounding could be a disadvantage. And that's not just for super ignorant names, that goes for names like Jamal or Keisha and even surnames typically associated with black people like Washington.

I just hope this dude is the star his moms set him out to be and he does something for the terrible ass Huskers. I’m sick of them breaking my heart every year.

What? Did names like Mustafa or Akbar become too hard to spell?
giphy.gif

Back