Conway The Machine Calls Out Funk Flex, DJ Suss One & Other Gatekeepers In New York

lol you know they came out in their 20’s. My point is outside of a few outliers like 2chainz most guys don’t have their peaks and most success when they’re 30+ Unless they reinvent themselves like titty boi and Rick Ross the boss. Outside of outliers like snoop, what’s the main age group in festivals?
Thank you Axel

Koncept yesterday was telling me about KRS one and posting old white men rapping lmao

Completely missing the point lol

Thank you Axel

Koncept yesterday was telling me about KRS one and posting old white men rapping lmao

Completely missing the point lol
Lmao they must not know Lil baby (iont listen to him) youngboy, and playboi carti is loved by that age group. They don’t give a FUCK about KRS one

Reactions: ZMaKEa
Lol the broccoli festival and something in the water that was in DC, what was the main age group on those lineups?

Why ask me that when you know who the line up was catering to?

IMO festivals actually want a mix crowd of young and 35-40 and under. Let's not forget it's a lot of folks in their 20s who broke as fuck and can't really pay the ticket prices for a 3 day festival especially if they have to travel. Groupon ain't helping that much

Reactions: Revolver Ocelot
Why ask me that when you know who the line up was catering to?

IMO festivals actually want a mix crowd of young and 35-40 and under. Let's not forget it's a lot of folks in their 20s who broke as fuck and can't really pay the ticket prices for a 3 day festival especially if they have to travel. Groupon ain't helping that much
Because it proves that a majority of the festivals are for the youth proving our point that it’s a young man’s game. Hip hop has always been fickle and rushed people out after 5-10 years why the confusion in this thread?

Reactions: Eyerone
Because it proves that a majority of the festivals are for the youth proving our point that it’s a young man’s game. Hip hop has always been fickle and rushed people out after 5-10 years why the confusion in this thread?

Is it a young man's game by choice or are the power brokers at the top who don't even really fuck with the young or the so called old forcing what they want and the consumers are going for it?

This just a question nothing trying to prove a point or anything like that.

i could be wrong, but i think the point ppl are trying to make is that prior to the early 90s most of the rappers were under the age of 22, i'm not sure how old chuck d was, but he was an outlier...nas made illmatic when he was 17 or 18, big daddy kane was considered old and washed up by his 3rd album...everything and everyone involved with the industry as a whole was extremely young... that is why they are saying that time it was truly a youth culture

TODAY, on the other hand, you ahve ppl like kanye west who is in his 40s, not to mention jay-z and nas, still dropping music...the amount of business and industry and clothing lines and liquor and everything else associated with hip hop is so much bigger nowadays and therefore has much more corporate backing and sponsorship...even young artists today like playboy carti at 26 is older than big daddy kane when he was "washed up" by his third album...the average age of a rapper today is much higher than it was in 1992...and in 1992 you couldnt turn on tv and see a 50 year old like snoop out their crip walking at the superbowl

what we have today is obviously heavily influenced and styled by the youth, but not in the same way it was in the early 90s and prior when it was LITERALLY a youth culture...

someone can be a hip hop fan and listen to nothing but new albums by artists all over age of 35 and never even are aware of anyone under 23...they are still hip hop

in 1992 if you didnt listen to anyone under the age of 23, then you had no hiphop to listen to, period...that is a true YOUTH CULTURE...

Lmao they must not know Lil baby (iont listen to him) youngboy, and playboi carti is loved by that age group. They don’t give a FUCK about KRS one

Bruh these artists today don't even give a fuck about no got damn Nas and Jay Z.

As far back these youngins to us 808 and Heartbreak and Kid Cudi.

They weren't listening to the damn Blueprint to learn how to rap lol.

Their favorite artist be Chief Keef lol.

Let the young ones have Hip Hop.

Hip hop is a young person’s thing simply off the fact that now is the first time In the history of rap that there are old rappers

I'd say it's more the first time that the powers that be can't just put the old rappers out to pasture because there are so many outlets for folks to release music on their own.

I agree with just a little difference in the reasoning for old rappers still being around

I'd say it's more the first time that the powers that be can't just put the old rappers out to pasture because there are so many outlets for folks to release music on their own.
Well I didn’t mean that as it’s the only reason but that’s a good enough reason on its own

i could be wrong, but i think the point ppl are trying to make is that prior to the early 90s most of the rappers were under the age of 22, i'm not sure how old chuck d was, but he was an outlier...nas made illmatic when he was 17 or 18, big daddy kane was considered old and washed up by his 3rd album...everything and everyone involved with the industry as a whole was extremely young... that is why they are saying that time it was truly a youth culture

TODAY, on the other hand, you ahve ppl like kanye west who is in his 40s, not to mention jay-z and nas, still dropping music...the amount of business and industry and clothing lines and liquor and everything else associated with hip hop is so much bigger nowadays and therefore has much more corporate backing and sponsorship...even young artists today like playboy carti at 26 is older than big daddy kane when he was "washed up" by his third album...the average age of a rapper today is much higher than it was in 1992...and in 1992 you couldnt turn on tv and see a 50 year old like snoop out their crip walking at the superbowl

what we have today is obviously heavily influenced and styled by the youth, but not in the same way it was in the early 90s and prior when it was LITERALLY a youth culture...

someone can be a hip hop fan and listen to nothing but new albums by artists all over age of 35 and never even are aware of anyone under 23...they are still hip hop

in 1992 if you didnt listen to anyone under the age of 23, then you had no hiphop to listen to, period...that is a true YOUTH CULTURE...

Youth culture means that the it's predominantly ran and dictated by the youth.

Kanye West is a legacy artist, he isn't dictating what Hip Hop sounds like at 40, he's following trends.

Drill music was created by 16 year old gang members in Chicago. It wasn't created by 35 year olds.

The ages of the people that create the sound palettes, fashion sense, and lingo of Hip Hop are 16-25.

Like yeah you can be 35 in Hip Hop but you not really dictating on where it's going at this point.

It's some 19 year old rapping on a USB mic over beats his friends made. It's 16-25 year olds that are going to the concerts and the festivals. It's 16-25 year olds that are following the industry news.

Prime example of Hip Hop being youth culture is the type of artists that get posted in this sub forum. Everyone is over 35, nobody is posting the most popping artists that are out right now because most people here can't understand it.

Most people here post artists that use the styles they were listening to at 16.

Last edited:
Youth culture means that the it's predominantly ran and dictated by the youth.

Kanye West is a legacy artist, he isn't dictating what Hip Hop sounds like at 40, he's following trends.

Drill music was created by 16 year old gang members in Chicago. It wasn't created by 35 year olds.

The ages of the people that create the sound palettes, fashion sense, and lingo of Hip Hop are 16-25.

Like yeah you can be 35 in Hip Hop but you not really dictating on where it's going at this point.

It's some 19 year old rapping on a USB mic over beats his friends made. It's 16-25 year olds that are going to the concerts and the festivals. It's 16-25 year olds that are following the industry news.

Prime example of Hip Hop being youth culture is the type of artists that get posted in this sub forum. Everyone is over 35, nobody is posting the most popping artists that are out right now because most people here can't understand it.

Most people here post artists that use the styles they were listening to at 16.
i’m not disagreeing with you about importance of youth or youth driving mainstream hiphop as a whole

my only point is i can name plenty of rappers over the age of 35 right now, i could not have done that in 1990

rap has grown and is much larger than a “youth culture” compared to 1990 when literally there were no old heads

Lmao look man I prefer 90’s hip hop but bringing up the snoop point is pointless when hip hop was barely 10 years old. Once again THIS GENERATION is not moved by Kanye and jay like that. I agree that guys were more lyrical back in the day but that’s not the point we’re making. If you ask a kid in his 20’s who he grew Up listening to then you’re gonna be surprised. A lot of the current music isn’t for me, but I’ve found a few guys that I like and can acknowledge guys having impact without liking their music. Even older artists said it’s more money to be made now lls

I didn't limit this to just them. And some of these dudes I found on PAGE 1 of this subforum. You want me to post more?

(I didn't know Herbo was still doing shit)

Cut it out, man. Griselda way better then these dudes. Meanwhile, y'all got 70-year-old AARP blokes rapping circles around your favorite drill rapper, and y'all talkin out "young man's game".....

giphy.gif

you not about to disrespect Memphis fucking rap

Is it a young man's game by choice or are the power brokers at the top who don't even really fuck with the young or the so called old forcing what they want and the consumers are going for it?

This just a question nothing trying to prove a point or anything like that.
Nah the labels forcing shit on us plays a part but the youth aren’t checking for the artists we listened to. The 50 year olds everyone keeps talking about are mainly doing business ventures and not getting checked for Their music

Reactions: ZMaKEa
Lmao look man I prefer 90’s hip hop but bringing up the snoop point is pointless when hip hop was barely 10 years old. Once again THIS GENERATION is not moved by Kanye and jay like that. I agree that guys were more lyrical back in the day but that’s not the point we’re making. If you ask a kid in his 20’s who he grew Up listening to then you’re gonna be surprised. A lot of the current music isn’t for me, but I’ve found a few guys that I like and can acknowledge guys having impact without liking their music. Even older artists said it’s more money to be made now lls
i listen to everything from every era, because i like music.
what a 20 year old kid listens to won’t surprise me, i talk to my cousins all the time. i know who they are influenced by and who they listen to

i’m not saying a 20 year old kid will say nas is his favorite.

i’m saying there is still a market for old heads because old heads still listen to music and still make it

there was no market for old heads because they didn’t exist in 1992. if you were 45 and a hiphop fan ppl thought you were crazy. today, not so much
that’s my only point

This genre is disgusting.

This is literally the ONLY genre in music where age is a deterrent.

The fucking Rolling Stones were touring till one of them died last year when he (the drummer Charlie Watts) was 80, after they have been doin their thing for 50 YEARS (probably more to 60). And they were still selling ARENAS out.

I mean, 50-60K seat venues like MetLife stadium getting sold out in like a hour (and I saw them there, so I got proof).

Fuckin Roger Waters from Pink Floyd is still doing sold-out shows. Paul McCartney could headline ANY concert he wants as The Last Beetle, and he’s like 77.

Meanwhile, y’all muhfuckas crying about who’s over and under 40 and who should be at the forefront of hip-hop based on their age and not their skill level and song appeal.

Sad, shameful shit.

Last edited:
i’m not disagreeing with you about importance of youth or youth driving mainstream hiphop as a whole

my only point is i can name plenty of rappers over the age of 35 right now, i could not have done that in 1990

rap has grown and is much larger than a “youth culture” compared to 1990 when literally there were no old heads

Yeah but how many of old heads are actually relevant to Hip Hop as it is now?

It's only like Kanye West and Future. And most Hip Hop fans love Kanye for his fashion and Future pretty much fathered all the young dudes style. Future probably got another 3 years in him of being relevant.

Lol like none of these young dudes, whether they are rappers or fans are clamoring to get a Jay Z album or a verse.

Even the biggest rapper of all time, Eminem is irrelevant to Hip Hop now.

Shit, the youth about to kick Drake out the genre if he keeps fucking around.

What keeps old heads in the periphery of Hip Hop culture is the reverence other old people have for them. Like all the old motherfuckers that be in NY radio that gonna invite Snoop Dogg to do an interview because he's Snoop Dogg.

Lol like yeah you can be old and kick it at the pool party. But young folks don't want your old ass to take your shirt off and get in the pool with them. You can get a plate and put your feet in the water and take your ass home before it gets dark.