Welcome To aBlackWeb

Calling a rich black man “a capitalist is like calling them the N word”- Jay Z

Maybe so...I just don't think it negates his bigger point.

Off of Jay-Z....why is it that people use extreme comparisons now a days to make their point? If you haven't noticed this trend I'll try to give an example later if I remember. I vaguely remember the word violence being attached to things that really aint violent at all.

It gives people a reason to dismiss any point he's making when he says something that absurd to try and give it credence.

And to answer your other question it's because it draws attention. The same way it's often said "People are up in arms over *insert random thing here*" when it's just a very small group of people who can't even really make any noise. The boy who cried wolf story still resonates for a reason....

i doubt the majority of people responding here and on social media actually listened to the 2min audio of what he said...

what he was saying was - when the word capitalist is used on US - its used to shame us for progressing and to conform back to a system designed for us to die at 21 or fail in general

the internet is hearing what wasn't said

I agree that folks shaming capitalism are often more upset they're on the wrong end of it than actually having an issue with capitalism itself. Also @5th Letter was very click baity with the title because you're right Jay never says the quote in the thread title at all.

However there is a real disconnect that rich folks have from the everyday person that makes alot of shit they say and/or do just silly. For Black folks specifically the whole "one person gets rich we all get rich" shit just ain't selling. You saw it with the reaction to what's been going on with Verzuz when they tried to spin it as a "win for the culture" when it's really just a win for those niggas pockets. And I think that's what the real backlash is against. The idea that a handful of Black folks getting on and getting money is somehow a win for us all when that shit rarely if ever trickles down to those who need it most

However there is a real disconnect that rich folks have from the everyday person that makes alot of shit they say and/or do just silly. For Black folks specifically the whole "one person gets rich we all get rich" shit just ain't selling. You saw it with the reaction to what's been going on with Verzuz when they tried to spin it as a "win for the culture" when it's really just a win for those niggas pockets. And I think that's what the real backlash is against. The idea that a handful of Black folks getting on and getting money is somehow a win for us all when that shit rarely if ever trickles down to those who need it most

I agree - there are mouth hustlas out there but we also have to stop getting tricked into thinking ALL successful black people are on that tip and just stick to calling it out on a case by case basis

Black people motivated by money, power are a drag foreal foreal.. they are too influential..the stranglehold they have on some folk is something else

i doubt the majority of people responding here and on social media actually listened to the 2min audio of what he said...

what he was saying was - when the word capitalist is used on US - its used to shame us for progressing and to conform back to a system designed for us to die at 21 or fail in general

the internet is hearing what wasn't said

Because he is being disingenuous and he has been from the beginning.

Capitalism is an individualistic economic system that is a zero sum game. There is no us.

Jay Z and others like him, like to talk about us and we and Black business and to make himself seem like the leader of Black people.

Jay Z gets paid and gets deals because corporations believe he is our leader. They see Jay Z as the in road to our demographic. They'll bring Jay Z out there to pacify us.

But we ain't letting him do that anymore.

Jay Z talked all that shit about Black businesses and taking back what ours when he did that Tidal shit yet took a picture with nothing but Europeans working there.

He was against the NFL until they cut him a check and he talked shit about Kaep.

Jay Z is an uncouth opportunistic capitalist and that's fine, most rich people are.

Last edited:
Because he is being disingenuous and he has been from the beginning.

Capitalism is an individualistic economic system that is a zero sum game. There is no us.

Jay Z and others like him, like to talk about us and we and Black business and to make himself seem like the leader of Black people.

Jay Z gets paid and gets deals because corporations believe he is our leader. They see Jay Z as the in road to our demographic. They'll bring Jay Z out there to pacify us.

But we ain't letting him do that anymore.

Jay Z talked all that shit about Black businesses and taking back what ours when he did that Tidal shit.

He was against the NFL until they cut him a check and he talked shit about Kaep.

Jay Z is an uncouth opportunistic capitalist and that's fine, most rich people are.

i agree people like jay are used by the system to get access to the black demo and everything else you said about jay could be true - but again all successful black people are not mouth hustlas, which is why i dont see issue what he was actually saying

He talked that "for us shit' when he started tidal and guess what happened? y'all said spotify and apple music was more worth it and didnt support it. Then had the nerve to cry foul when he sold it to white people

this is playing out like another 'focus on the messanger and not the message'

i agree people like jay are used by the system to get access to the black demo and everything else you said about jay could be true - but again all successful black people are not mouth hustlas, which is why i dont see issue what he was actually saying

He talked that "for us shit' when he started tidal and guess what happened? y'all said spotify and apple music was more worth it and didnt support it. Then had the nerve to cry foul when he sold it to white people

this is playing out like another 'focus on the messanger and not the message'

Nobody calls out other Black capitalists other than Jay Z and Kanye because other Black capitalists keeps their damn mouth shut and don't have a weird messiah complex where they believe they are the leaders of Black people just because they are famous and talented.

There's a long long long glorious history of Black entertainers electing themselves as our leader in order to get the business of Corporate America.

Jay Z was talking about what Black people say about Jay Z, not other Black capitalists. He always try to make it about "us" and what White people say, but he's really talking about Black people that criticize his race hustling. White people don't rate Jay Z as this extraordinary businessman, Black people do.

Jay Z doesn't really have a point. Nobody criticizes Jay Z because he is a capitalist, he gets criticized for race hustling.

You think Byron Allen gets shut down like Jay Z does by the Black people?

No.

Nobody cares who he does business with because he doesn't pretend to be our damn leader. He is a capitalist that provides services that doesn't include selling the Black demographic to Corporate America.

Jay Z's product is us, it's the influence he has over us. Without that, he's nothing.

Byron owns shitty TV stations that nobody watches besides old White people in Middle America and runs ads.

Jay Z buys into a business, says it's for Black people. Black people get interested and then he sells it to Corporate America and the shit flops.

Young Black people today ain't getting race hustled by the entertainment and political class like we let James Brown do. Like we let Sammy Davis Jr do. Like we let Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Like we let Booker T. Washington do.

What Jay Z said in that clip was promo for his next move to try to sell down our throats that's supposed to be "for us" so he can sell it to Corporate America.

Lol.

Last edited:
Nobody calls out other Black capitalists other than Jay Z and Kanye because other Black capitalists keeps their damn mouth shut and don't have a weird messiah complex where they believe they are the leaders of Black people just because they are famous and talented.

There's a long long long glorious history of Black entertainers electing themselves as our leader in order to get the business of Corporate America.

Jay Z was talking about what Black people say about Jay Z, not other Black capitalists. He always try to make it about "us" and what White people say, but he's really talking about Black people that criticize his race hustling. White people don't rate Jay Z as this extraordinary businessman, Black people do.

Jay Z doesn't really have a point. Nobody criticizes Jay Z because he is a capitalist, he gets criticized for race hustling.

You think Byron Allen gets shut down like Jay Z does by the Black people?

No.

Nobody cares who he does business with because he doesn't pretend to be our damn leader. He is actual capitalist that provides services that doesn't include selling the Black demographic to Corporate America.

Jay Z's product is us, it's the influence he has over us. Without that, he's nothing.

Byron owns shitty TV stations that nobody watches besides old White people in Middle America and runs ads.

Jay Z buys into a business, says it's for Black people. Black people get interested and then he sells it to Corporate America and the shit flops.

Young Black people today ain't getting race hustled by the entertainment and political class like we let James Brown do. Like we let Sammy Davis Jr do. Like we let Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

What Jay Z said in that clip was promo for his next move to try to sell down our throats that's supposed to be "for us" so he can sell it to Corporate America.

Lol.

ok

if any other successful black person said what jay said in the audio - do you still hold the same opinon yes or no?

Last edited:
Back