Welcome To aBlackWeb

Calling a rich black man “a capitalist is like calling them the N word”- Jay Z

Where In history do you see this?

I can say that the gentrification in NYC has forced many blacks to move further upstate. Places like Orange and Rockland County have been seeing a huge raise of black families since 2011

But to say that people “benefit” from gentrification highly depends on the family. People who were well off before tend to stay well off whether they leave or not. And truthfully the gentrification here in NYC hasn’t made anything “better”….crime is actually worse than it has ever been since the 80’s

People who were struggling in NYC…still struggle whether they leave or not

Also, culture has a lot to do with how a group of people maintain the place they occupy

Follow the conversation of posts and you will see why I asked that question.

How you going to ask me the same question I asked the thread just but in a different way?

Are there any examples of where gentrification happens and the majority of the black people who've been there aren't priced/forced out and get to reap the benefits of the neighborhood transformation?

Wasn't there a neighborhood in DC that they got established as a historical landmark and basically required that a certain amount of the money going into the neighborhood had to be used to help the historical residents?

Wasn't there a neighborhood in DC that they got established as a historical landmark and basically required that a certain amount of the money going into the neighborhood had to be used to help the historical residents?

If so that would either be Anacostia or LeDroit Park. With both there are still plenty of white people walking around because the damage of rising housing prices and property taxes was already done before that happened. There is still black people there don't get me wrong but not what is was before just like the rest of the city.

LeDroit Park is where that white man said if the students at Howard University had a problem with him walking his dog across the campus and letting the dog shit in the grass(he picked up the dog shit) that students sit on. Then Howard University needs to move their campus. Look at the audacity of even saying that a whole historical black college needs to move for him and his dog's comfort.

How are decades long residents supposed to deal with gentrifiers who bring that type of attitude. They feel like since they paid more for their house they have more say so in said neighborhood.

If so that would either be Anacostia or LeDroit Park. With both there are still plenty of white people walking around because the damage of rising housing prices and property taxes was already done before that happened. There is still black people there don't get me wrong but not what is was before just like the rest of the city.

LeDroit Park is where that white man said if the students at Howard University had a problem with him walking his dog across the campus and letting the dog shit in the grass(he picked up the dog shit) that students sit on. Then Howard University needs to move their campus. Look at the audacity of even saying that a whole historical black college needs to move for him and his dog's comfort.

How are decades long residents supposed to deal with gentrifiers who bring that type of attitude. They feel like since they paid more for their house they have more say so in said neighborhood.

I think it was LeDroit Park. That's about as close as I can think of at least an attempt being made to keep all the lower class black people from being ousted.

The incident with the white man and the dog is the text book case for why gentrification without some kind of reasonable oversight is bad. Dude literally talked like Howard came and moved into his area and not the other way around.

Another good example from DC was from U St. where there is a GoGo and Jazz bar that's been around for decades. A bunch of people that had just moved into the area were trying to get the bar closed down because they believed it was too noisy.

I think it was LeDroit Park. That's about as close as I can think of at least an attempt being made to keep all the lower class black people from being ousted.

The incident with the white man and the dog is the text book case for why gentrification without some kind of reasonable oversight is bad. Dude literally talked like Howard came and moved into his area and not the other way around.

Another good example from DC was from U St. where there is a GoGo and Jazz bar that's been around for decades. A bunch of people that had just moved into the area were trying to get the bar closed down because they believed it was too noisy.

What I will give the city credit for is that they looked out for old people. With how the city has been and is being gentrified and property taxes going up super high. What they did was leave older people who owned their homes and are on fixed incomes property taxes at the price they had been paying before everything just went sky high. That was great because there were a lot of older people who were losing their homes or being forced to sell because they couldn't pay the property taxes.

You talking about the PCS store on Florida Ave that always plays gogo music and sparked the don't mute DC movement after the new residents tried to get them shut down?

Back