Welcome To aBlackWeb

Ben Stiller defends Robert Downey Jr. blackface in ‘Tropic Thunder’

trollyard.gif

The shit is and always was a stupid controversy. He was playing a character in a movie. The character in the movie was an actor that wanted to take on the challenge of portraying a black man. It was a comedy, and what that character was doing was supposed to be seen as buffoonish. Describing that as "RDJ was doing black face" is super disingenuous.

The shit is and always was a stupid controversy. He was playing a character in a movie. The character in the movie was an actor that wanted to take on the challenge of portraying a black man. It was a comedy, and what that character was doing was supposed to be seen as buffoonish. Describing that as "RDJ was doing black face" is super disingenuous.
Black face has a whole new meaning to folks in 2024

Black face has a whole new meaning to folks in 2024

True.

To be clear, real black face is alive and well in the modern day. It's just transitioned from minstrel shows to white college kids having "Black People Parties" where they all do the black face bit.

The fact that those things exist and people still don't see the difference between real black face and what was done in Tropic Thunder is crazy to me.

True.

To be clear, real black face is alive and well in the modern day. It's just transitioned from minstrel shows to white college kids having "Black People Parties" where they all do the black face bit.

The fact that those things exist and people still don't see the difference between real black face and what was done in Tropic Thunder is crazy to me.
Every time I see those black face parties I am legit stunned because I just don’t understand the thought process to even want to do some lame shit like that.

BuT iT wAs FuNnY

You think jews give af if it was funny? If its remotely anti semetic theyre deading it.

If they get a giggle out of you niggas yall accept anything.

This is a gross misrepresentation of what that role was about b
Don't yall ever get tired of defending anti black shit?

That's all niggas do here

In one thread niggas making fun of Dr Umar, in the next thread yall rationalizing blackface cuz it was funny

You will never see a nigga in a comedic role doing stereotypical jew shit in a movie.

They play in yall face.

You're missing the point. The joke wasn't "Hey, look black stereotypes are funny." The joke was "Hey, look how stupid that white character is for thinking those stereotypes actually represent what it means to be black."

I didn't even think the movie was funny. It was overrated to me. It's just a fact that the supposed joke with RDJ's character seemingly went right over the heads of all the people claiming RDJ did black face.

You're missing the point. The joke wasn't "Hey, look black stereotypes are funny." The joke was "Hey, look how stupid that white character is for thinking those stereotypes actually represent what it means to be black."

I didn't even think the movie was funny. It was overrated to me. It's just a fact that the supposed joke with RDJ's character seemingly went right over the heads of all the people claiming RDJ did black face.

So blackface is ok in certain situations?

There's things that we should have 0 tolerance for, I don't think blackface is asking for too much.

Back