Welcome To aBlackWeb

Ben Stiller defends Robert Downey Jr. blackface in ‘Tropic Thunder’

Blackface is never cool no matter the case….which is why it’s easy to include in satire and dark humor

Black people with a healthy sense of humor knew what RDJ did was never that serious.

As long as it's "funny" , black face is cool, got it.

It wasn't really funny IMO, but it also wasn't blackface.

Blackface by definition is nonblack people taking measures to darken their skin in an effort to insult and lampoon black people. That's not what they were doing with that character.

Getting upset about shit like that is weak. It makes it seem like we don't understand concepts like satire and parody.

I mean...the whole point was to be offensive and to poke fun at Hollywood and how it cast roles and puts stars on pettistools

And it was hilarious🤷🏿‍♂️

Facts

It was always a stupid complaint. Clearly, RDJ wasn't just putting on blackface to make fun of black people. The whole point was that the character was a white man who was insensitive to and didn't care about the ramifications of what he was doing. How else was RDJ supposed to play that character?

Facts

I don’t remember hearing a single complaint from negroes when it dropped matter of fact ppl thought it was hilarious

Facts

When these kids find out about in living color and Keenan Ivory Wayans

My gawd. Them muthafuccas would have a field day.

I was in the movie theater the day it came out. There was a LOT of black folks in there. And everyone was laughing their azzz off. B/c we knew the reasoning behind it.

We knew the type of character RDJ was portraying. Hell...even his character described the type of method actor he was.

Last edited:
Its a lot of defending RDJ in Blackface.

Those same people probably quick to comment about Black men in dresses and the negative and circumstantial impact it has on our image.

yes-girl.gif

I guess we forgot about this side of ILC. But I guess if it's funny it's okay

I was initially off put before seeing the film but I can't and won't pretend that shit didn't make me laugh.

I understand why it's problematic and probably wouldn't watch it today tho.

Race tension and cancel culture have definitely played apart in what people view as appropriate for entertainment so I get what he means when he says the understanding has become muddied. But he didn't do that role on some righteous battle against tropes. He got his shit off and we just let it slide cause we was letting shit slide at the time and he ironman.

He doesn't have to play in our face now tho. What's done is done.

I like my comment from last year.

There's always the risk that everyone won't find shit funny when you're doing satire. There's always a risk people will just be offended. It comes with the territory... You can't control people being upset by something... Even if they get the joke... They don't have to think it's funny.

A lotta people weren't feeling that shit. And it is what it is. The shit was wild bold... You gotta take the good with the bad

Back