Welcome To aBlackWeb

Ben Stiller defends Robert Downey Jr. blackface in ‘Tropic Thunder’

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
Ben Stiller isn’t sorry about “Tropic Thunder.”

The 2008 film has drawn criticism for its portrayal of disability, as well as for the fact that Robert Downey Jr. wore blackface in it.

Stiller, 57, responded to a tweet that asked him to “please stop apologizing for doing this movie.”

“It was and still is funny AF … Even funnier now with cancel culture the way it is. It’s a MOVIE. Ya’ll [sic] can just get over it. I was DYING laughing when I first saw it back in the day and so was everyone else,” the user wrote.

The actor responded that he’s “proud” of the action-comedy.

“I make no apologies for Tropic Thunder. Don’t know who told you that. It’s always been a controversial movie since … we opened. Proud of it and the work everyone did on it,” Stiller, who both starred in and directed the film, tweeted.

It was always a stupid complaint. Clearly, RDJ wasn't just putting on blackface to make fun of black people. The whole point was that the character was a white man who was insensitive to and didn't care about the ramifications of what he was doing. How else was RDJ supposed to play that character?

It was always a stupid complaint. Clearly, RDJ wasn't just putting on blackface to make fun of black people. The whole point was that the character was a white man who was insensitive to and didn't care about the ramifications of what he was doing. How else was RDJ supposed to play that character?
It should have been a black woman, playing a white man, cosplaying as a black man

I'm thinking Queen Latifah

Back