Welcome To aBlackWeb

As an Asian-American, I'm Tired of Being Racially Gaslit By My Peers

Yeah I did. You attempted to assert that Black women's lack of love for their natural hair was a key component in why they frequent Asian beauty shops and that if they loved their hair more it would stop. Thats not true

I said if they wore natural styles AND were happy with that, the stores would go out of business. That's absolutely true. It stands to reason that if the whole "back to natural" phase that was more popular a few years ago resulted in a dip in revenue for those stores, a full sale commitment to being natural would mean the end for those stores. Let me ask you a question. How much money do those stores typically get from black male business? Basically none right? Why? Because black men, for the most part, aren't buying a lot of fake shit to put in our hair. If black women went the same way, those stores couldn't survive. That's a fact. The only thing that keeps their doors open is the commitment of black to buying fake shit. Go watch the video. They talked to a black beauty supply owner. She flat out said that her major problem in keeping her business open is that the fake hair is the money maker and that's the product she has the most trouble getting from suppliers.

So, no you're not addressing my point by saying "even women who like their natural hair still wear wigs and weave."

Women still need beauty supplies for their natural hair. Women who wear their natural hair still wear wigs and weaves for a variety of reasons not connected to their self image and most often to do with protecting their hair or simply wanting to look different for a few days. So the market wouldn't go out of business at all.
Yeah, but even for natural hair, if black women stopped supporting these businesses, who are they gonna cater to?

Most of these places are located in predominantly black inner city neighborhoods.

They would definitely go outta business.

That’s my point.

Let me ask you a question. How much money do those stores typically get from black male business? Basically none right? Why? Because black men, for the most part, aren't buying a lot of fake shit to put in our hair. If black women went the same way, those stores couldn't survive.
Actually they do have grooming products for men at those stores, too like Magic shaving cream, wave pomade, texturizer, wave caps, etc.

Those places cater to black people in general..

Not just women.

I said if they wore natural styles AND were happy with that, the stores would go out of business. That's absolutely true. It stands to reason that if the whole "back to natural" phase that was more popular a few years ago resulted in a dip in revenue for those stores, a full sale commitment to being natural would mean the end for those stores. Let me ask you a question. How much money do those stores typically get from black male business? Basically none right? Why? Because black men, for the most part, aren't buying a lot of fake shit to put in our hair. If black women went the same way, those stores couldn't survive. That's a fact. The only thing that keeps their doors open is the commitment of black to buying fake shit. Go watch the video. They talked to a black beauty supply owner. She flat out said that her major problem in keeping her business open is that the fake hair is the money maker and that's the product she has the most trouble getting from suppliers.

So, no you're not addressing my point by saying "even women who like their natural hair still wear wigs and weave."

No because then those stores would cater to what the current change is which is women needing more products to cater to their natural hair. And again you're conflating two different things. A woman not wearing her natural hair doesnt automatically mean she's unhappy with it. I already gave you more than 1 reason a woman may wear a weave, wig etc that doesn't involve being unhappy with their hair.

And those same stores do carry products for men and their hair too. Where you think all these niggas with locs go for their products? The same places.

Yeah, but even for natural hair, if black women stopped supporting these businesses, who are they gonna cater to?

Most of these places are located in predominantly black inner city neighborhoods.

They would definitely go outta business.

That’s my point.

The only way they go out of business is if more Black folks supported Black owned supply stores. That would be the real key but as long as the.current crop of Asian store owners can simply switch up to cater to the current hair trends then they'll continue to corner the market

Actually they do have grooming products for men at those stores, too like Magic shaving cream, wave pomade, texturizer, wave caps, etc.

Those places cater to black people in general..

Not just women.

No because then those stores would cater to what the current change is which is women needing more products to cater to their natural hair. And again you're conflating two different things. A woman not wearing her natural hair doesnt automatically mean she's unhappy with it. I already gave you more than 1 reason a woman may wear a weave, wig etc that doesn't involve being unhappy with their hair.

And those same stores do carry products for men and their hair too. Where you think all these niggas with locs go for their products? The same places.

Yes, but what you seem to be missing is that its the fake hair products that are used to squeeze would-be black owners out of the market because those are the money makers and those come primarily through Asian distributors who refuse to sell direct to blacks.

And @BlackRain, you seem to be hung up on the word "happy" so substitute "satisfied" and my point is the same. I'm not saying that every woman that wears fake hair is on some self hate shit. I'm saying that they look at their hair at some point and think that's not enough or I don't feel like doing anything with it so let me go get something different. There's nothing horrible about that, but it is problematic when you commit yourself to going that route even when it means with dealing with people who don't like you, have no problem disrespecting and even assaulting you, and really only exist in certain capacity to exploit you.

There's unlikely to ever be a full sale commitment so why even bother to appeal to an unreality?

Plus, Black men don't wear makeup either. Let that correlation sink in. You're arguing a lost cause.

Not sure how anyone is fear mongering about China. They have a genocide going on, did despicable things in Hong Kong, keep threatening Taiwan, and let Covid get out of one of their labs. We can count Asian attacks on one hand, it's all media hype. China does FAR worse to it's people daily.

Last edited:
We always have the moral high ground because no matter what some of us will always do the "right" thing.

Too bad it seldom works out in our favor.

Assuming the moral high ground and doing the right thing is often a selfless endeavour. You do it because you should. Not because there's something in it for yourself.

My thoughts.

Asian people have been discriminated against for decades in this country obviously. Look at the history of Hawaii specifically. Whites were killing them and getting off knowing they committed murder. There is even a similar case to Emmett Till.

However, it is not blacks fight and they need to fend for themselves as we have. Also it was bs for the media to try and make blacks the face of anti Asian racism and glad its being pointed right where it belongs, at whites.

Its funny though they tell blacks celebrities to shut up about black victims but want blacks to speak on Asian problems. Black people are still being killed by police while unarmed, getting lynched and there are still places where blacks are denied and sometimes by Asians.

Last edited:
Back