Welcome To aBlackWeb

Are we pretty much over the era of black quarterback discrimination?

sounds like Bow was franing the question as it pertains to labor discrimination on that front…I will say that it is minimal. But I think that has to do more with how the game is evolving and athletic traits at QB are more valuable and necessary.

If the game still relied on pure pocket passing…then yeah…niggas would still be getting shorted

Good post. My follow up is delayed after a re-read. Do you think looking for pocket passers, and them often being white is a discrimination/racism issue? Or is it just how the game is at the NFL level vs other levels?

Like black QB's are often more athletic. And at the HS and college level that's enough to be a champion. The coaches are gonna let you run, and run, and run all the way to a trophy. Their less athletic white counterparts, can't outrun the opposing defense, so they rely more on reading the defenses and improving their passing skills... their only chance at success. Well, reading a defense well and having an accurate arm can make you great at the highest level (NFL). But running doesn't work as much. Defenses are too fast and strong. You get caught, you get hit more, and you get hurt.

So Black QB's often aren't having to develop the passing part of their game because it's not as essential to them winning. And the part they're accustomed to relying on, isn't working the same in the NFL. The result? A bunch of white QB's.

Good post. My follow up is delayed after a re-read. Do you think looking for pocket passers, and them often being white is a discrimination/racism issue? Or is it just how the game is at the NFL level vs other levels?

Like black QB's are often more athletic. And at the HS and college level that's enough to be a champion. The coaches are gonna let you run, and run, and run all the way to a trophy. Their less athletic white counterparts, can't outrun the opposing defense, so they rely more on reading the defenses and improving their passing skills... their only chance at success. Well, reading a defense well and having an accurate arm can make you great at the highest level (NFL). But running doesn't work as much. Defenses are too fast and strong. You get caught, you get hit more, and you get hurt.

So Black QB's often aren't having to develop the passing part of their game because it's not as essential to them winning. And the part they're accustomed to relying on, isn't working the same in the NFL. The result? A bunch of white QB's.
I can agree with this to certain extent. While yes it is true that athleticsm gets you further in HS and College…

For me it came down to blacks being perceived as not smart enough to learn how to read defenses…so its just as you said…coaches wouldnt teach because 1. The QB athleticsm was enough to win and 2. Didnt think they could learn

In the modern pro game…its necessary to do both. So now coaches are forced to develop these guys

So again it comes down to the evolution of the game making way for us to be seen as viable options at QB although we been that

Back