Welcome To aBlackWeb

Are we pretty much over the era of black quarterback discrimination?

As long as white supremacy exists it’s never gonna be over. Look at all the stereotypical stuff we heard about Anthony Richardson during the draft process.

I missed the talk about him during the draft process. Bucs weren't really in the market for a QB and he was gonna be gone before we picked, so I wasn't really looking out for anything on him. Only stuff I heard was Quinn talking about Stroud (I think), and him catching heat for it.

But he was a 4th overall pick. 2 of the 3 picks before him were also black quarterbacks, so where do you see the discrimination there?

I missed the talk about him during the draft process. Bucs weren't really in the market for a QB and he was gonna be gone before we picked, so I wasn't really looking out for anything on him. Only stuff I heard was Quinn talking about Stroud (I think), and him catching heat for it.

But he was a 4th overall pick. 2 of the 3 picks before him were also black quarterbacks, so where do you see the discrimination there?
The usual great athlete but he can’t throw stuff. Yet Levis didn’t get this kind of talk…

Yes and no

They're still coming out of college as more of a running QB instead of a pocket passer. Which is odd considering the league has been leaning more towards a passing league than before yet colleges have the QBs running so much

From a money standpoint then I'd say yes. It's really all about guaranteed money instead of the big number but even that has increased every year

The usual great athlete but he can’t throw stuff. Yet Levis didn’t get this kind of talk…

Levis went in the 2nd round though. So was he really looked at in a better light? And what's the measuring stick? 3 black QB's were chosen before him. Is that less important than SOME scouting reports criticizing Richardson?

Levis went in the 2nd round though. So was he really looked at in a better light? And what's the measuring stick? 3 black QB's were chosen before him. Is that less important than SOME scouting reports criticizing Richardson?
The criticism is still there. Levis fell because they didn’t like his attitude.

Yes and no

They're still coming out of college as more of a running QB instead of a pocket passer. Which is odd considering the league has been leaning more towards a passing league than before yet colleges have the QBs running so much

From a money standpoint then I'd say yes. It's really all about guaranteed money instead of the big number but even that has increased every year

I've thought about what you're saying style-wise. But I think the reason for that is college coaches aren't necessarily there to help kids get pro-ready. They're there to win at the college level (which is what keeps them employed), and at that level you can out-athlete your opponents a lot. So that running QB can dominate a game. That doesn't work as well, or for as long, in the NFL.

The criticism is still there. Levis fell because they didn’t like his attitude.

You sure? I didn't see many, if any, Big boards that had him rated over the 3 that went before him, and those don't really look at attitude.

And criticism is gonna be there in an evaluation. Are you saying they painted an inaccurate picture of him? Like if they said he has issues as a passer, then we see in the NFL that he has issues as a passer.... no problem there.

I've thought about what you're saying style-wise. But I think the reason for that is college coaches aren't necessarily there to help kids get pro-ready. They're there to win at the college level (which is what keeps them employed), and at that level you can out-athlete your opponents a lot. So that running QB can dominate a game. That doesn't work as well, or for as long, in the NFL.
I figured as much. I could never get into college football

It’ll never really go away. Racists find a way to be racist.

I guess I should clarify what I meant. We'll never be in a bias-free world. But when it comes down to it... how's the treatment.

Like pay and opportunity are major things imo. What a random writer says isn't as important to me. Especially if they're in the minority, vs being the norm.

You sure? I didn't see many, if any, Big boards that had him rated over the 3 that went before him, and those don't really look at attitude.

And criticism is gonna be there in an evaluation. Are you saying they painted an inaccurate picture of him? Like if they said he has issues as a passer, then we see in the NFL that he has issues as a passer.... no problem there.
Some mocked him at number 1 with comparisons to Josh Allen.

The criticism is the usual stuff certain black QB’s receive. If it was no more like you’re saying then we never would’ve heard it.

Some mocked him at number 1 with comparisons to Josh Allen.

The criticism is the usual stuff certain black QB’s receive. If it was no more like you’re saying then we never would’ve heard it.

Who mocked him #1? A random rumor came out just before the draft that Carolina was picking him, but that's all I heard about him being 1st pick.

How widespread, inaccurate, and impactful is the criticism though? If a small minority has an inaccurate racially bias review of a player, but the player is still drafted #1 overall and a majority of reviews aren't problematic is there really much of a discrimination problem?

Back