Welcome To aBlackWeb

DEBATE Are Black people being pacified & intentionally distracted? Do symbolic gestures fail to address deep-rooted institutional racism?

Police brutality isn't a racist issue though. Whites get brutalized by police the same as blacks do. You just don't hear about it because selling that white people are experiencing police brutality doesn't sell well in the media because it pushes a police incompetence/corruption angle which isn't nearly as sexy of a sell in the media as police racism.

Why is it that there were twice as many unarmed white men killed by police last year as there were black men but I'm willing to bet you don't know a single name of any white person that was killed by the police while unarmed.

Your 1950's "Jim Crow" example is an example of actual Institutionalized racism in practice, legally being able to discriminate against minorities because of the color of their skin. Integration wasn't racism, it was giving blacks the choice to be equals in the eyes of the law and blacks making the choice to go sit with whitey and eat whitey's underseasoned food that caused those businesses to fail. Black people having freedom of choice and choosing to dine with whitey and causing the black businesses to fail isn't institutionalized racism, it's a short-sighted failure on black people as a whole that ended up causing them to have less of an economic, cultural, and political presence.
This sound like the goofy talk Candace Owens like to say but reality is different

Victims were majority white (52%) but disproportionately black (32%) with a fatality rate 2.8 times higher among blacks than whites. Most victims were reported to be armed (83%); however, black victims were more likely to be unarmed (14.8%) than white (9.4%) or Hispanic (5.8%) victims. Fatality rates among military veterans/active duty service members were 1.4 times greater than among their civilian counterparts. Four case subtypes were examined based on themes that emerged in incident narratives: about 22% of cases were mental health related; 18% were suspected “suicide by cop” incidents, with white victims more likely than black or Hispanic victims to die in these circumstances; 14% involved intimate partner violence; and about 6% were unintentional deaths due to LE action. Another 53% of cases were unclassified and did not fall into a coded subtype. Regression analyses identified victim and incident characteristics associated with each case subtype and unclassified cases.

Victims were majority white (52%) but disproportionately black (32%) with a fatality rate 2.8 times higher among blacks than whites.

thank you for this post

I'm tired of seeing people (mainly cacs) using the point of total deaths of whites vs blacks when speaking of police brutality

the problem is layered...........and even white people should have an issue with police using excessive force

then there is the lack of accountability for police

then there is poor selection and training

then there is improper pay and value for good police

and finally there are still laws that provide incentives for police to act badly

bad policing is a problem in general.......but the negative effects are really damaging to black people

and as far as the thread topic overall

I'm not sure we can get past the limitations of our own culture in order to really address institutional racism

honestly I think the whole racism deal is a distraction in comparison to our own internal issues.........we know what the deal is already

someone in this thread already mentioned it.........what we need is economic power

all the rest of the shit being talked about are just shallow symbolic gestures

my issue though is while mofos are protesting and tearing shit up, tearing down statues

how many of us are building our community..........too many mofos are protesting now but weren't really doing shit positive before George Floyd's death

now I'm expected to cosign destruction (and ultimately more distraction) when before covid popped off most of these same woke people were only worried about chilling and bullshit

why are people looking at all the money given as a win?

these people are telling us we need to change ourselves.

they donating to HBCU's ...they are implying we cant afford college.

what does all that mean if we are not hired or respected when we happen to slip in the door?

think about this yall.

all these they "giving" to the community......is not the answer.

the answer is to leave us the fuck alone and stop fucking with us and stop the microaggressions and watch how black people can excel.

them stopping us......doesnt mean we need help. they need to stop us because we DONT need help.
we will make them look bad otherwise .....why try to stop us?

when was the last time yall needed to do whatever you needed to do to stop a stupids ass person who didnt know their job?

think about it.

this ideology they selling is bullshit.
this is why i say we dont need a fucking hand out.

and yes we are owed alot of money.....but giving it to certain organizations it wont trickle to those in need.

give every black person a check monthly for the rest of their life.....directly.

but then the question will come in "what and who is black"

and as far as the thread topic overall

I'm not sure we can get past the limitations of our own culture in order to really address institutional racism

honestly I think the whole racism deal is a distraction in comparison to our own internal issues.........we know what the deal is already

someone in this thread already mentioned it.........what we need is economic power

all the rest of the shit being talked about are just shallow symbolic gestures

my issue though is while mofos are protesting and tearing shit up, tearing down statues

how many of us are building our community..........too many mofos are protesting now but weren't really doing shit positive before George Floyd's death

now I'm expected to cosign destruction (and ultimately more distraction) when before covid popped off most of these same woke people were only worried about chilling and bullshit
you right....i been screaming economic power for years.....like years.

people dont understand the freedom it gives you.

so now with all this shit happening....NOW niggas want to support black?

this whole shit is frustrating to see...because we dont need to be where we are.

This sound like the goofy talk Candace Owens like to say but reality is different

Victims were majority white (52%) but disproportionately black (32%) with a fatality rate 2.8 times higher among blacks than whites. Most victims were reported to be armed (83%); however, black victims were more likely to be unarmed (14.8%) than white (9.4%) or Hispanic (5.8%) victims. Fatality rates among military veterans/active duty service members were 1.4 times greater than among their civilian counterparts. Four case subtypes were examined based on themes that emerged in incident narratives: about 22% of cases were mental health related; 18% were suspected “suicide by cop” incidents, with white victims more likely than black or Hispanic victims to die in these circumstances; 14% involved intimate partner violence; and about 6% were unintentional deaths due to LE action. Another 53% of cases were unclassified and did not fall into a coded subtype. Regression analyses identified victim and incident characteristics associated with each case subtype and unclassified cases.

No, reality is exactly as I stated. And your link actually agrees with my point by saying that police lack in deescalation training which would have prevented many of the killings they committed.

Could you explain what "fatality rate" is and how they determined that number?

Also since you seem to think I'm wrong, who was the last unarmed person shot and killed by police? Happened just last month too.

No, reality is exactly as I stated. And your link actually agrees with my point by saying that police lack in deescalation training which would have prevented many of the killings they committed.

Could you explain what "fatality rate" is and how they determined that number?

Also since you seem to think I'm wrong, who was the last unarmed person shot and killed by police? Happened just last month too.
I couldn't tell you who was the last person killed by a cop so I have no answer BUT the fact that you're having argument saying who was killed and unharmed at that is even a bigger problem than black and white.

The fatality rate is who was more likely to be killed when unarmed and as stated that black people are higher proportionally to be killed while unarmed EVEN THOUGH more white police are killed by the police(as they should be since they're the majority).

Also you stated that there is no institutional racism going on or something to the effect and that is laughable at best. When there laws still on paper saying the opposite

I couldn't tell you who was the last person killed by a cop so I have no answer BUT the fact that you're having argument saying who was killed and unharmed at that is even a bigger problem than black and white.

The fatality rate is who was more likely to be killed when unarmed and as stated that black people are higher proportionally to be killed while unarmed EVEN THOUGH more white police are killed by the police(as they should be since they're the majority).

Also you stated that there is no institutional racism going on or something to the effect and that is laughable at best. When there laws still on paper saying the opposite
Not really since the whole argument being presented is that blacks are being killed by police specifically because of racism. I think that's a false narrative being peddled to black people by the media in order to generate hate between the races to create a further political, social, and cultural divide. I also believe this is in their interest as it allows them to get higher ratings, more website clicks, and generate more ad revenue in the process. So the race of the unarmed being killed certainly matters from that standpoint.

That's what I thought the rate was, but how they come up with the numbers are what I'm curious about. The numerator for that would obviously be the number of unarmed people killed....but what's the denominator for it, are they using total number of people killed by race as the denominator, total number of people killed overall, total number of police interactions based on race? The last one is the number that should be used to make such a determination, and also should be the one used in saying whether or not blacks are disproportionally killed by police more than whites. Using per-capita numbers based on the entire population is a flawed method for this since interactions with police don't align with population numbers, because crimes committed that lead to police interaction don't coincide with population percentages. Blacks are heavily over-represented in most criminal categories when compared to whites and even to Hispanics.

Think of it like this, blacks represent 13% of the population, but commit a much larger percentage of crime than that, if black people represent 25% of the interactions with police, would it be expected for them to represent 13% of the deaths, or 25%?

What laws are on the books currently that are actually enforced that have institutional racism in it? Aside from Affirmative Action against white males of course.

Back