Welcome To aBlackWeb

ABW Record Store "Legends or Not" Criteria Thread

Alot of this discussion has to do with age/generation.

Somebody on the first page implied that early 80s rappers didn't sell where that simply isn't true. Alot of the early rap SINGLES went gold/platinum. Rappers Delight, The Breaks, The Message and Planet Rock went gold/platinum.

If you really think about it, Rap was a new thing and there weren't that many rap songs or rap groups. So if you liked rap there were only a handful of records worth buying. If you compare the early 80s to the late 80 or 90s there was more competition so record sales were spread out amongst different regions and different artists. In the early 80s there was one region and only a handful of artists to choose from. So thats what people bought. You could count the rap albums that came out between 1980 and 1983 on your fingers.

Also to say Too Short and Ice T aren't legends is insane. I was heavily into rap/Hip Hop in the late 80s and Ice T was the spokesperson for Hip Hop. He was articulate and gave good interviews. Censorship and gangsta rap was a big issue and Ice T was older and expressed himself very clearly. I'm on my phone now but somebody should go yo Youtube and look for Ice T interviews on the Phil Donahue show or the Arsenio Hall show. You might not care for his music but it's impossible to say that Ice T wasn't Hip Hop's spokesperson in the late 80s and early 90s. More so than Chuck D and KRS ONE, who made socio-political misic but weren't as articulate as Ice T in interviews.

You gotta remember Ice T served in the army before his rap career. He was in Breakin and Enterin in 1983, which was the first West Coast movie about Hip Hop. Then in 1984 he was in Breakin.

My point is that when Hip Hop started getting socio-political and Afrocentric Ice T was grown and more mature than the younger rappers.

There was a huge censorship issue around 88-90 with Ice T, 2 Live Crew, Too Short, NWA and Public Enemy. They were seriously talking about banning rap music from being sold in stores (the 2 Live Crew got arrested for performing "obscene" music) Ice T was one of the few people that really lived the life that could put everthing into perspective for the masses of people in middle America.

None of their songs cracked the top 100 until pat was on it.

None of them made billboard hot100 hits till Pat did.

Why U mad tho?

giphy.gif

That is some weak ass Shadyteam argument.

So a vet is a mf'er who has no classic albums but just been in the game a long time

That's literally all a vet is, there's nothing special about that other than you've been practicing you're craft for a long time

You got rappers who have been in the game ten plus years and people talking about they not a veteran wtf

Last edited:
Probably should've done

Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze

Tiers

Idk enough of project pats catalogue but

Then cant the same be said for kid cudi? Including his influence on kanye which in turn influenced a lot of these young artists

And im not asking to cape for dude.

U make a good point. If we're going off what was said in the OP, influence is only one factor. There's also longevity and catalog.

I'm not super familiar with cudi's work, but interested in knowing what do yall feel cudi influenced?

I think travis scott is a good example of his influence. They share a certain sound in a lot of travis' music.

As for kanye u can tell once he started working with cudi his sound started to change leading up to and including 808s and so on after that.

I think travis scott is a good example of his influence. They share a certain sound in a lot of travis' music.

As for kanye u can tell once he started working with cudi his sound started to change leading up to and including 808s and so on after that.

I'd agree that he influenced Kanye's music, but the genre as a whole? I don't see it fam.

Which is my point as that argument is comparable to that made for project pat.

How tho? One nigga (cudi) influenced one artists sound for an album or 2. The other nigga influenced a sound that went on to be the main sound of hiphop.

How tho? One nigga (cudi) influenced one artists sound for an album or 2. The other nigga influenced a sound that went on to be the main sound of hiphop.
Kanye definitely changed the sound of the genre using many of the elements shared and introduced by cudi on genre shifting albums/songs

U dont think 808s influenced the genre?

Kanye definitely changed the sound of the genre using many of the elements shared and introduced by cudi on genre shifting albums/songs

U dont think 808s influenced the genre?

Yea and no, mainly no. Niggas been harmonize rapping from bone, to 3k, to Ja and 50. The autotune thing would be more T-Pain than Kanye.

Kanye was just the most popular nigga doing it, I wouldn't credit him for introducing it tho.

Yea and no, mainly no. Niggas been harmonize rapping from bone, to 3k, to Ja and 50. The autotune thing would be more T-Pain than Kanye.

Kanye was just the most popular nigga doing it, I wouldn't credit him for introducing it tho.
T pain is an entirely diff artist than kanye. T pain doesnt have nearly the influence as one of the biggest artists of this generation.

The sound and content of kanyes music, particularly from 808s, influenced damn near all the young rappers out.

U can hear kanye in a lot of new music, u can hear cudi in a lot of kanyes music.

Back