Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY A Black Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facts. Dude was super racist back in the Jim Crow era. I'm talking like "sitting outside the restaurant with a shotgun daring black people to come near" type racist. Then shit changed. Black people were welcomed all of a sudden. When I was coming up, on any given day, you'd go in there and damn near all the people eating or working were black. People thought dude had changed, but I think the reality is some other people just took over the business for him.

If I remember correctly, the flag went back up when they had the big fight about taking it down from the state house. Black people did boycott for a while. I know none of my family has eaten there in years. The food was decent, but BBQ joints are a dime a dozen down south. You can find others.

I’ve never eaten there…my mom went to USC in tha 60’s and told me about how bad it was when she was comin’ up…then I remember moving down here and even as a youngster I’d hear about tha pamphlets and propaganda they had at tha entrance of their restaurants…not to mention that flag flying…I didn’t know what tha food tasted like but I was SURE it wasn’t for me lol

Fuck that place

I’ve never eaten there…my mom went to USC in tha 60’s and told me about how bad it was when she was comin’ up…then I remember moving down here and even as a youngster I’d hear about tha pamphlets and propaganda they had at tha entrance of their restaurants…not to mention that flag flying…I didn’t know what tha food tasted like but I was SURE it wasn’t for me lol

Fuck that place

When did you get down there? I grew up there in the 80s and 90s. At that point, it wasn't really that bad. I didn't know anything about the racist past of it. It was just another BBQ spot as far as I knew. I didn't learn about all that shit until the confederate flag controversy when he started wildin' again. I haven't eaten there since.

When did you get down there? I grew up there in the 80s and 90s. At that point, it wasn't really that bad. I didn't know anything about the racist past of it. It was just another BBQ spot as far as I knew. I didn't learn about all that shit until the confederate flag controversy when he started wildin' again. I haven't eaten there since.

I got down here in tha mid 80’s and it was very aware of tha bullshit lol…maybe I was just bein’ fed horror stories at tha time but nah…I’m cool on that…I’d just go to Big T’s BBQ if I wanted summin lol

I got down here in tha mid 80’s and it was very aware of tha bullshit lol…maybe I was just bein’ fed horror stories at tha time but nah…I’m cool on that…I’d just go to Big T’s BBQ if I wanted summin lol

Yeah, my fam knows Big T, so we went there more often anyway. I never got the horror stories though, so I never saw it as a problem eating there every now and then coming up.

Now the older people in my family knew about it all, but their perspective was different. If they were going to cut out going some place because that place was racist back in the 60s, they wouldn't have been able to do anything. From their perspective, everything was like that in the 60s. Like I remember having conversations with my mom about how she grew up. To me the things that happened were crazy as hell. To her, they were wrong, but that's just how it was.

To my defense in Charleston we got Rodney Scott which is a black man. I saw the name Maurice and just assumed duke was black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back