Welcome To aBlackWeb

2021 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t know what Detroit is thinking. Shit will all be refuted once the pick comes in. “Cade was our guy no matter what.” “Jalen was our guy no matter what.” “Evan was our guy no matter what.”

You don’t know what Detroit is thinking. Shit will all be refuted once the pick comes in. “Cade was our guy no matter what.” “Jalen was our guy no matter what.” “Evan was our guy no matter what.”

You don't play with that before hand especially with cade who been the projected 1st pick since the last draft.

It's been too much talk since the lottery. Cade is your guy until you pick someone else and theres no other way to play it imo.

Nah man, unlike a year where you have a Lebron or Zion, there is not a huge drop off in talent. Pistons doing their due diligence to see if Houston , Okc will give up that Hershel Walker package to get the Hometown guy/sell tickets. If OKC comes back with SGA, Poku, Bazely, and 6, you have to listen and think about pulling the trigger.
Nobody knows what the Pistons are thinking, so they are coming in with their Godfather offers, and Pistons are listening

“The Pelicans will now be $36 million under the cap, or $25 million if they retain Josh Hart and sign him for his $10.5 million cap hold or more. That gives the Pelicans two basic outs in free agency. For one, they can re-sign Lonzo Ball, let Hart leave, and use the leftover cap room (probably $15-20 million) to target another veteran wing player such as Evan Fournier or Danny Green.

However, the speculation is the Pels have the opposite plan in mind: That they want to pursue Toronto guard Kyle Lowry in free agency, and now have the ammunition to outbid anybody if need be. (Sources also tell The Athletic the Dallas Mavericksand Miami Heat will be major suitors for Lowry, with Dallas trying to clear more room to give itself a leg up).

A cynic could point out New Orleans had a means of generating almost the same amount of cap space by simply using the stretch provision on Bledsoe. Doing that and keeping Adams, who makes $3 million more than Valanciunas, and allowing for the higher cap hold for pick No. 10 versus pick No. 17, the Pelicans would have had $26 million in room for a Lowry chase. And of course, if the Pels end up keeping Ball and Hart, cap room will end up being irrelevant since they can re-sign both with Bird rights.

One interesting side note: The Pelicans now have picks No. 35, 43, 51 and 53 on Thursday, and I don’t think they’re planning on selecting four players for the roster. I’d expect them to sell or trade at least one of the picks and take a stash pick with at least one of the others.

Bigger picture, you can see the sense of rushed urgency in New Orleans. Even with two young All-Star forwards, the Pelicans disappointed the past two seasons and changed coaches twice. They seem determined to make a move forward this season, even if it hurts their ultimate chances of having a meaningful contender while Williamson and Brandon Ingram are in their prime. This deal opens the door for lots of possibilities in 2021-22, but many of those avenues foreclose other options in the years beyond.

For Memphis, meanwhile, this signals another year of patient building. The Grizzlies get a couple more shots at finding the third leg in the triangle next to Morant and Jackson, without materially damaging their short-term interests. The main opportunity cost is using cap space, which would have likely resulted in an overpay for short-term help in this market. Instead, the Pelicans will be the ones pursuing that strategy.”

- John Hollinger

“The Pelicans will now be $36 million under the cap, or $25 million if they retain Josh Hart and sign him for his $10.5 million cap hold or more. That gives the Pelicans two basic outs in free agency. For one, they can re-sign Lonzo Ball, let Hart leave, and use the leftover cap room (probably $15-20 million) to target another veteran wing player such as Evan Fournier or Danny Green.

However, the speculation is the Pels have the opposite plan in mind: That they want to pursue Toronto guard Kyle Lowry in free agency, and now have the ammunition to outbid anybody if need be. (Sources also tell The Athletic the Dallas Mavericksand Miami Heat will be major suitors for Lowry, with Dallas trying to clear more room to give itself a leg up).

A cynic could point out New Orleans had a means of generating almost the same amount of cap space by simply using the stretch provision on Bledsoe. Doing that and keeping Adams, who makes $3 million more than Valanciunas, and allowing for the higher cap hold for pick No. 10 versus pick No. 17, the Pelicans would have had $26 million in room for a Lowry chase. And of course, if the Pels end up keeping Ball and Hart, cap room will end up being irrelevant since they can re-sign both with Bird rights.

One interesting side note: The Pelicans now have picks No. 35, 43, 51 and 53 on Thursday, and I don’t think they’re planning on selecting four players for the roster. I’d expect them to sell or trade at least one of the picks and take a stash pick with at least one of the others.

Bigger picture, you can see the sense of rushed urgency in New Orleans. Even with two young All-Star forwards, the Pelicans disappointed the past two seasons and changed coaches twice. They seem determined to make a move forward this season, even if it hurts their ultimate chances of having a meaningful contender while Williamson and Brandon Ingram are in their prime. This deal opens the door for lots of possibilities in 2021-22, but many of those avenues foreclose other options in the years beyond.

For Memphis, meanwhile, this signals another year of patient building. The Grizzlies get a couple more shots at finding the third leg in the triangle next to Morant and Jackson, without materially damaging their short-term interests. The main opportunity cost is using cap space, which would have likely resulted in an overpay for short-term help in this market. Instead, the Pelicans will be the ones pursuing that strategy.”

- John Hollinger
My boy finally got some money for the Athletic, proud of u bro.

Or maybe it’s a free trial….. lol.

Memphis taking on a lot of bad money to move up 7 spots but I do like the Grizzlies taking Josh Giddey, they desperately need a second shot creator next to Ja

I'll reserve judgement on the Pelicans until I see how the rest of their offseason plays out because they have few more moves to make...

Griff clearly under mad pressure and his tenure has been a mixed bag to say the least....he did great with Jrue and AD trades but you would be hard pressed to find another move that you like. NAW at 17 was ok but he hasnt really done much and he did upgrade the medical staff too

I dont like Kyle Lowry on the Pelicans either, doesnt make sense to me at all

Memphis taking on a lot of bad money to move up 7 spots but I do like the Grizzlies taking Josh Giddey, they desperately need a second shot creator next to Ja

I'll reserve judgement on the Pelicans until I see how the rest of their offseason plays out because they have few more moves to make...

Griff clearly under mad pressure and his tenure has been a mixed bag to say the least....he did great with Jrue and AD trades but you would be hard pressed to find another move that you like. NAW at 17 was ok but he hasnt really done much and he did upgrade the medical staff too

I dont like Kyle Lowry on the Pelicans either, doesnt make sense to me at all
not mad at this analysis although i think he also did good with Hayes, Kira, and Didi in addition to NAW

The drafting imo has been very solid and a massive improvement over the previous regimes picks throughout the years.

The FA has been the issue. I like the aggressiveness, but there seems to be this feeling that he is aggressive towards the wrong targets.

I'm intrigued by Lowry but Lowry aint CP. No slight to Lowry at all but if the hope is that he can do for the pels what CP did for Phoenix, I just dont see it.

Lowry makes no sense for the Pelicans

Tell New Orleans to stop teetering line between trying to become a solid playoff team and youth development

BI and Zion are all stars and they are trying to add Lowry and already added jonas but also have Hayes, Kira, NAW and added a rookie head coach and previously said they wanted to start Kira

not mad at this analysis although i think he also did good with Hayes, Kira, and Didi in addition to NAW

The drafting imo has been very solid and a massive improvement over the previous regimes picks throughout the years.

The FA has been the issue. I like the aggressiveness, but there seems to be this feeling that he is aggressive towards the wrong targets.

I'm intrigued by Lowry but Lowry aint CP. No slight to Lowry at all but if the hope is that he can do for the pels what CP did for Phoenix, I just dont see it.

Of course I think Lowry would help make the Pelicans a better team but to what extent that it justifies bringing him in....35 year old Kyle Lowry will probably get you the 7th or 8th seed and that's not worth it imo

New Orleans lack of overall direction is the biggest problem but hopefully that gets cleared up a little this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back