Welcome To aBlackWeb

2021/22 NBA Season Thread

Find me a player on a team that plays great defense that doesn't have a player with a great defensive rating. Then find me a player on a bad defensive team that has a great defensive rating.

He routinely guards the weakest guard/wing on opposing teams.

View attachment 802073

They hide him.

This is Fred van vleet. Tell me if you see a difference.

View attachment 802076

You're the one not paying attention. Sorry bruh.

Nah thats not fair cause freddy is one of the best perimeter defenders.

I never said Book is a dpoy candidate or a great defender.

I said hes above average. And every stat proves that. Hes a positive on ball, and a positive off ball defendee the last 2 seasons.

A player changing their reputation takes a few years. Bookers rep is starting to change too and in another season or two, his rep of being a bad defender will change.

You don't have to play great defense to be an MVP candidate. Its an offensive award. Book is def a top 5 candidate even if he's not a great defender

Nah thats not fair cause freddy is one of the best perimeter defenders.

I never said Book is a dpoy candidate or a great defender.

I said hes above average. And every stat proves that. Hes a positive on ball, and a positive off ball defendee the last 2 seasons.

A player changing their reputation takes a few years. Bookers rep is starting to change too and in another season or two, his rep of being a bad defender will change.

Back to my original question. Above average against who?

If you saying his d above average vs mostly below average offensive players then I guess I gotta give you that but that's not what you were saying.

Like you understand van vleet is a better defender but you throwing this stat around. Van vleets defensive rating is significantly worse than books tho.

What I'm trying to show you is defensive rating is a by product of his team's defensive rating like most players.

Book has a good defensive rating because he's on a great defensive team and is shielded to guard the weakest offensive players possible and players with generally low offensive output.

That's due to good coaching, scheme and execution more than his ability.

You don't have to play great defense to be an MVP candidate. Its an offensive award. Book is def a top 5 candidate even if he's not a great defender

No one is disputing this. He was called an above average defender. Again I ask against who?

No one is disputing this. He was called an above average defender. Again I ask against who?
Dwayne was saying he wasn't in the discussion. If by discussion he means top 3 instead of top 5 than I agree he's not top 3

And yeah I don't know if he's above average on defense

Dwayne was saying he wasn't in the discussion. If by discussion he means top 3 instead of top 5 than I agree he's not top 3

And yeah I don't know if he's above average on defense

He’s not on the discussion.

It’s really simple for me. He’s not even putting up better offensive numbers than the folks I listed while they are playing good defense and one being a DPOY.

GA should win it because his value is ALL OVER

Back to my original question. Above average against who?

If you saying his d above average vs mostly below average offensive players then I guess I gotta give you that but that's not what you were saying.

Like you understand van vleet is a better defender but you throwing this stat around. Van vleets defensive rating is significantly worse than books tho.

What I'm trying to show you is defensive rating is a by product of his team's defensive rating like most players.

Book has a good defensive rating because he's on a great defensive team and is shielded to guard the weakest offensive players possible and players with generally low offensive output.

That's due to good coaching, scheme and execution more than his ability.

Its not just a good defensive rating though.

Remember I said all types of defensive stats prove hes above average.

I pointed out his defensive rating because its not just a good defensive rating, its the best in the league amongst SGs. I agree defensive rating is a by product of team defense, but having the #1 dfrt is still impressive.

But if you go into advanced stats, you'll see hes an above average on ball defender, off ball defender, and way above average in playing the passing lanes.

Ill go back all the way to my original point. Cause I dont want this to be taken like im calling Books defense elite.

Earlier in the thread, cats said Book is JUST a scorer. And all im saying is, 1. Hes one of the better play makers for his position. And 2. He went from being a negative defender, to being a positive defender according to his counting stats, and all his advanced stats.

I never said he was elite. Just an above average/positive defender.

Yea he doesnt defend the best player of the opposing team, but he never did. What he did do is go from being a dedensive liabilty, to a positive defender.

What @Dwayne said was the consensus top 3 (giannis, embiid and jokic) are putting up better offensive numbers while also being great defenders which separates them from the pack.

No lie was told.

I also never said anything about Book being a mvp candidate or not.

Hes not on my top 3 list. I might slide him in at 5, but who cares about #5 on a list like this?

My only point was that its super interesting to me that best player on the best team isnt even a consideration anymore.

The Suns not just a little better, they are a ton better than any other team. And book isnt getting 21 ppg, hes at 27, 5, and 5. And he getting no love.

I actually like this. Fuck the best player on the best team. Im glad that narrative dying.

Its not just a good defensive rating though.

Remember I said all types of defensive stats prove hes above average.

I pointed out his defensive rating because its not just a good defensive rating, its the best in the league amongst SGs. I agree defensive rating is a by product of team defense, but having the #1 dfrt is still impressive.

But if you go into advanced stats, you'll see hes an above average on ball defender, off ball defender, and way above average in playing the passing lanes.

Ill go back all the way to my original point. Cause I dont want this to be taken like im calling Books defense elite.

Earlier in the thread, cats said Book is JUST a scorer. And all im saying is, 1. Hes one of the better play makers for his position. And 2. He went from being a negative defender, to being a positive defender according to his counting stats, and all his advanced stats.

I never said he was elite. Just an above average/positive defender.

Yea he doesnt defend the best player of the opposing team, but he never did. What he did do is go from being a dedensive liabilty, to a positive defender.

Because he routinely guards the weakest offensive players lol. He just isn't an above average defender. And you're not gonna move the goal posts to him being a positive defender. Don't do that. That's where you should have started.

He’s not on the discussion.

It’s really simple for me. He’s not even putting up better offensive numbers than the folks I listed while they are playing good defense and one being a DPOY.

GA should win it because his value is ALL OVER
You don't factor in his team's record? Isn't that usually main focus why players win MVP?

Back