Welcome To aBlackWeb

2021/22 NBA Season Thread

Its crazy, I feel like besides the Kings and Wizards every team in the league is in a good space relative to what they're trying to do now or in the future

Sacramento traded future for present(again) just to still suck and have no real flexibility to get better

Washington should've been traded Beal when his value was at its highest and started the rebuild

Kyle Lowry is experienced enough to know that the playoffs are a lot different than the regular season. The Miami Heat’s starting point guard has also played long enough to know more will be expected from him in the playoffs. That’s why Lowry’s Heat teammates and coaches aren’t concerned that he has taken four or fewer shots in four of the past five games. The expectation is Lowry, 35, will take a more assertive approach in the playoffs when needed. “That’s part of his genius,” coach Erik Spoelstra said of Lowry, with the Heat set to close its season-long seven-game homestand Friday against the Oklahoma City Thunder (8 p.m., Bally Sports Sun). “He can feel the tenor of a team and what’s needed, and he can adjust and adapt game to game. That’s incredible to be able to try to get guys involved, try to get other people comfortable. Wouldn’t we all be better if we just constantly thought like that.

But he’s also proven over the course of his decorated career that when you really need him to just be more assertive and be more aggressive and shoot more, he will. But it’s not something where he’s predetermining that coming into a game. It’s based on a lot of different factors.” While Lowry has taken 15 or more shots in six games this season, he has settled into the role of facilitator over scorer in his first season with the Heat. He’s averaging 9.8 shot attempts per game, down from 13 last season and his lowest since averaging 9.2 shots per game in 2012-13.

I pass the ball more because I got great talent around me,” Lowry said following Thursday’s practice. “When you got talent like Jimmy [Butler], Bam [Adebayo], Tyler [Herro], getting Duncan [Robinson] shots. You got to sacrifice something. It is what it is. I can still do it if I want to do it. But at the same time, what’s best for our team is to make sure that everybody else gets shots.” During the 489 minutes that Lowry has played alongside Heat co-stars Adebayo and Butler this season, it has been Adebayo and Butler taking most of the shots. Butler has attempted 221 shots, Adebayo has attempted 215 shots and Lowry has put up 123 shots in those minutes. “I’m going to do what I need to do to win the game,” said Lowry, who is averaging a team-high 7.8 assists this season. “Whatever that means. If it’s shoot more, pass more, I’m going to do what it takes. Of course, it’s probably going to involve shooting a lot more and being more assertive and aggressive [in the playoffs]. But me personally, I just let the game dictate what I’m going to do. When it comes down to trying to get to that end goal, you have to have everybody firing on all cylinders and being aggressive.” Recent history indicates that Lowry’s average of 9.8 shot attempts per game this regular season is around what he will average in the playoffs. During past playoff runs during Lowry’s career, his shot total didn’t jump or drop much from the corresponding regular-season number. After averaging 13.8 shots per game in the 2019-20 regular season, Lowry averaged 13.5 shots per game during that season’s playoff run. He averaged 11.4 shots per game in the 2018-19 regular season before averaging 11.5 shots per game during that season’s playoffs. He averaged 12.1 shots per game in the 2017-18 regular season and then went on to take 11.8 shots per game in the 2018 postseason.

I’m just getting prepared for the real season and just making sure that I’m ready to go when it’s time to go and that my teammates are ready to go when it’s time to go,” Lowry said. “For me personally, it’s just about playing the game. The game is going to tell me and dictate what I need to do.” Despite averaging his fewest points per game (12.6) this season since 2012-2013 and not taking as many shots as he has in recent seasons, the positive news for the Heat is he’s still making a positive impact. Along with averaging a team high in assists, Lowry also holds the best assist-to-turnover ratio among Heat rotation regulars at 2.72 this season. Miami has also outscored opponents by 5.8 points per 100 possessions with Lowry on the court compared to 3.7 points per 100 possessions when he hasn’t been on the court. “He’s one of those players who can impact the game while taking four shots,” Adebayo said. “The thing about is is down the stretch, we will need Kyle Lowry to take more than four shots at the end of the day. We all know what he’s capable of and we’re going to need him down the stretch.”

Back