Welcome To aBlackWeb

2020 NBA Draft thread

The 2020 NBA draft is as unpredictable as can be. Rumors are all over the place, and teams are trying to trade up, down, or completely out. League sources say both the Celtics and Magic are trying to move up into the mid-lottery using their own first-round picks, and the Wizards are angling to move up from no. 9.

The Celtics have offered their three first-round picks (nos. 14, 26, and 30) in trades to try and move up, according to multiple league sources. So far, no one is biting. If the Celtics stay here, Hampton would make sense because he could serve as a spark-plug scorer off the bench. If Gordon Hayward were to leave Boston, secondary shot creation would be needed sooner rather than later

League sources say the Magic are attempting to move up into the lottery; if they stay put, though, Maxey could potentially provide lottery value and immediately inject life as an energetic presence and hard-nosed defender. Though Markelle Fultz’s resurgence makes for a nice story, he’s still yet to prove he can reliably shoot the ball. Maxey is further along as a scorer off the dribble, which could push Fultz into his ideal role as a supercharged Shaun Livingston.

– via nbadraft.theringer.com

The Hornets are likely targeting a big man and are heavily considering Okongwu, according to multiple league sources. Okongwu was arguably the best defensive big man in college basketball last season. Pairing him with P.J. Washington would give Charlotte a skilled frontcourt with versatility on defense and playmaking on offense. There are many NBA front offices that prefer Okongwu to Wiseman; if both are on the board, it’ll be fascinating to see which direction the Hornets go.

If LaMelo Ball is still on the board, expect Chicago’s phones to be buzzing from teams like the Knicks, Pistons, and others playmaker-needy teams. The Bulls could also take Ball themselves. However, multiple sources have told me in the past week that they hear Avdija could be the playmaker the Bulls covet. It would certainly make sense. New Bulls front office boss Arturas Karnisovas had a strong influence on Denver’s history of drafting international talent, and Avdija is a more natural fit next to the team’s existing talent. He’s smart and plays with a winning mentality. If his jumper improves, he could wind up being the best player in this draft class.

Though Heat officials have not been flying all over the country to use their 10 maximum permitted pre-draft visits, they have shown interest in working out several prospects beyond Arizona center Zeke Nnaji, who auditioned for them Oct. 25. Among others with whom they’ve broached a potential workout: Kentucky combo guard Immanuel Quickley and Texas Tech shooting guard Jahmi’us Ramsey. Both are skilled shooters and both already have done Zoom sessions with the Heat. Quickley, in fact, has interviewed twice with Miami, according to a source

Miami also was expected to view a group workout for Minnesota center Daniel Oturu and Arizona point guard Nico Mannion,
both projected to possibly go in the 20s or 30s. And Miami has done a Zoom session with College of Charleston point guard Grant Riller, another strong shooter projected to go in the late 20s or 30s. (Miami doesn’t have a second-round pick.) Riller averaged 21.9 points and shot 36.2 percent on three-pointers as a senior last season

Surprisingly, as of midday Friday, the Heat hadn’t asked for a workout with Duke forward/center Vernon Carey Jr., even though he’s living and working out in South Florida. Carey is projected by some to go in the 20s, but his father — the former Dolphins and UM standout offensive lineman — believes he will go sooner. Some mock drafts have him falling into the second round.

– via Miami Herald

Who Hampton compares himself to now and is modeling his game after long-term – RJ Hampton: I think the person I’ve watched the most probably over the past two or three years would be Zach LaVine because I think we’re both 6-foot-5 or 6-foot-6 guards that are athletic, can get downhill, can create for our teammates, and we’re fast. That’s definitely somebody that I kind of try to model my game after now. Then, long-term, I’d say, maybe not long-term, but one of my favorite players is Derrick Rose. If I could be like him one day that would be worth my while

Hampton evaluates his own strengths and weaknesses – RJ Hampton: I think a lot of my weaknesses are just defensive schemes and learning where to be at all times on defense, locking in full-time on the defensive end. I feel like I’m athletic enough to be a great defender, so just locking in on that. I think a weakness was shooting, but I’ve been in the gym the past seven months with one of the best shooters all-time, so I’m getting that down pact. I think probably my biggest strengths are attacking downhill, making plays for other guys, getting to the basket. I think I’m the most athletic guard in the draft, but I think I’m the fastest person in maybe the NBA when I get there next year.

Playing against LaMelo Ball and thoughts on his game – RJ Hampton: I think LaMelo’s a great player with just his combination of size and vision is unmatched. When we played over there, I think we won both of the games, so it was definitely a good matchup, high intensity, and we both competed. He was in kind of a different situation than I was in, so the outcomes varied throughout the games, but it was fun competing.

– via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype

Back