Welcome To aBlackWeb

2018 NFL Season Thread

i don't see the rooneys firing tomlin. they don't operate like that.

bill cowher had some really bad seasons and they never fired him and he wasn't a great coach to me.
Until Ben arrived, Cowher's had as qb's O'Dumbbell, Tomczak, Stewart, Maddox. His coaching had to overcome a weak offense for years. And he still had success. He choked at times but he never had that qb to save him from himself. Tomlin was given the keys to a championship team and for some reason is stuck in neutral with them. I ask people this question offline and I never get a good answer, so I will ask yall. WHAT MAKES TOMLIN A GOOD HEAD COACH? Ben runs the offense. When the defense was good it was Dick Lebeau calling the shots. Tomlin was hired bcuz of his success in Tampa with the DB's but in Pittsburgh since Cowher's DB's retired the DB position has year after year been the weakest part of Tomlins defense.

We can call out Butler but at some point, your defensive-minded head coach in Tomlin has to step in and say "move over I got this." What does Tomlin bring to the table? Is he a motivator? If so then why are they constantly playing down to weaker competition? Is he an X&O coach? Why is he constantly being outcoached on defense? Newsflash! Teams constantly exploit that weak ass version of Tampa/Cover 2 defense they run. If I see another LB trying to cover a 2 receiver one mo gen......

Is he a good game manager? The wasted timeouts, The 1st qtr. challenge flags on 3-yard gains, the 4th qtr confusion, the game clock blunders are damn near every game with this team.

How is Tomlin any different from Dungy? People said for years that Peyton was the coach of that team and Indy didn't need Dungy to win. Dungy was supposed to be a defensive guru just like Tomlin and Colts defense was ass most of his tenure there. Colts get blown out in the playoffs and niggas wanted Dungy the fuck up outta there. Tomlin underachieves year after year and all of a sudden Steelers would be fools to get rid of him.

Somebody help me understand.
btw @wadupdoe!313 this post ain't directed at you solely, I'm asking in general.

Last edited:
Ben first ring he literally didn’t do anything.

His super bowl stats are super meh.
Nobody in the world is claiming Ben won the Superbowl for Pitt. He did outplay Peyton and Plummer to get there tho.

Until Ben arrived, Cowher's had as qb's O'Dumbbell, Tomczak, Stewart, Maddox. His coaching had to overcome a weak offense for years. And he still had success. He chocked at times but he never had that qb to save him from himself. Tomlin was given the keys to a championship team and for some reason is stuck in neutral with them. I ask people this question offline and I never get a good answer, so I will ask yall. WHAT MAKES TOMLIN A GOOD HEAD COACH? Ben runs the offense. When the defense was good it was Dick Lebeau calling the shots. Tomlin was hired bcuz of his success in Tampa with the DB's but in Pittsburgh since Cowher's DB's retired the DB position has year after year been the weakest part of Tomlins defense.

We can call out Butler but at some point, your defensive-minded head coach in Tomlin has to step in and say "move over I got this." What does Tomlin bring to the table? Is he a motivator? If so then why are they constantly playing down to weaker competition? Is he an X&O coach? Why is he constantly being outcoached on defense? Newsflash! Teams constantly exploit that weak ass version of Tampa/Cover 2 defense they run. If I see another LB trying to cover a 2 receiver one mo gen......

Is he a good game manager? The wasted timeouts, The 1st qtr. challenge flags on 3-yard gains, the 4th qtr confusion, the game clock blunders are damn near every game with this team.

How is Tomlin any different from Dungy? People said for years that Peyton was the coach of that team and Indy didn't need Dungy to win. Dungy was supposed to be a defensive guru just like Tomlin and Colts defense was ass most of his tenure there. Colts get blown out in the playoffs and niggas wanted Dungy the fuck up outta there. Tomlin underachieves year after year and all of a sudden Steelers would be fools to get rid of him.

Somebody help me understand.
btw @wadupdoe!313 this post ain't directed at you solely, I'm asking in general.

I'm sticking up for a black head coach

Fuck them crackas

I think in the superbowl vs Seattle, on Pittsburgh’s first td, Ben snuck it in but it didn’t look like he got in. And that catch was the santonio holmes toe tapping catch for the win vs Arizona

I think in the superbowl vs Seattle, on Pittsburgh’s first td, Ben snuck it in but it didn’t look like he got in. And that catch was the santonio holmes toe tapping catch for the win vs Arizona

This.

The amount of calls that went in favour of the Steelers was disgusting. Anybody who wasn't a Steelers fan saw the fuckery. Holmgren spoke about the zebras lol.

And the toe tap smh. Could never do that again.

Been arguing this for a decade now. Ben's run was on 3rd down. Even if you feel like the ball didn't cross the plane, Cowher has said many times that he was going for it on 4th down anyway.

As for Holmes. Epic catch but we can't ignore the masterful drive by Ben to get them down there.

@Conspiracyassniggas

1. On plays when there wasn't any penalties...one team made plays...and one team didn't.

2. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in Superbowl history.................................................Seattle did.

3. The Refs didn't get fooled out of their jocks on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a TD, Seattle did.

4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals.......................................................................................Seattle did.

5. The Refs didn't drop 4 very catchable balls in KEY SITUATIONS..........................................Seattle's TE did.

6. And when the same Seattle TE finally caught a pass, he took 3 steps, was hit by the Safety and fumbled. ....But luckily for Seattle, "The Refs" ruled it Incomplete.

7. The Refs didn't carelessly let the 1st half clock tick from 48 seconds ALL THE WAY DOWN to 13 seconds before FINALLY running their next play.................................................................Seattle did.

8a. On this play, 54 yds from a FG, 13 secs. left, who foolishly heaved it deep, trying for a TD, rather than a shorter play & timeout to set up an easier FG try which then missed by just a couple feet ?.....Seattle did.

8b. Then in 2nd half, 50 yds from a FG on 3rd down, Seattle boneheadedly does the same thing again, they go deep, ignoring trying to get a little closer for the FG which, again missed by a couple feet.

9a. On 3rd and 28, Pitt QB Big Ben MAKES a play, scrambling & completing a 37 yd pass to Seattle's 2.

9b. On 3rd and 18, Seattle's QB misreads Pitt's zone defense and throws an interception at Pitt's 5.

10. Speaking of 3rd downs, Pitt converted several 3rd downs with plays like the 37 yarder above, QB Runs when nobody was open, a nifty shuttle pass, a shoestring catch by Ward, etc.

...However, Seattle was only 5 for 17 on 3rd downs, with plays like the INT above, dropped passes, wrecklessly going deep in short yardage situations, etc.

11. Who got a break when Pitt WR Ward dropped an easy TD in the endzone? ......................Seattle did.

12. Who got a break when Pitt CB Taylor dropped an easy INT early in the game? ................Seattle did.

13. With a Pittsburgh WR wide open in the endzone for a TD that would've put Pitt up 21 - 3, who got a break on a gift-wrapped INT from Pitt QB Big Ben?..................................................................................Seattle did.

14. Who got a break when the refs missed Sea. Center level Pitt's DE after play was over?....Seattle did

15. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds to stop the clock late in BOTH halves..................Seattle did.

16. Late in the game, needing a TD and FG, in no particular order and currently in easy FG range, who foolishly ignored the FG to fling it deep, throwing incomplete and losing the ball on downs ?.................Seattle did.

17. Who kept repeatedly punting through the endzone giving Pitt the ball at the 20?...............Seattle did.

18. Who outrushed Seattle and contained their star RB Stephen Alexander (the NFL's leading rusher) enough to force several 3rd downs? Pittsburgh.

19. Seattle...the sum total of all the above, your bad coaching decisions & clock mismanagement, breaks on big Pitt mistakes, breaks from the Refs, and your inability to make big plays adds up to...............NO EXCUSES!!!

Now! I'm done.

Tomlin was hired bcuz of his success in Tampa with the DB's but in Pittsburgh since Cowher's DB's retired the DB position has year after year been the weakest part of Tomlins defense.

I don't have a dig in this fight but I will say this.....from what I remember, he was the defensive coordinator in Minnesota and ran an aggressive 4-3 scheme. He kept Dick Lebeau because he didn't see a need to fix what wasn't broken...

Back