Welcome To aBlackWeb

2018 NFL Season Thread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cipated/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.10f56cc958cd

Amid uproar, NFL officials will discuss new helmet rule, but no major changes anticipated

Amid the uproar among some players and fans over the NFL’s new helmet rule, league officials plan to discuss the rule in the coming days but are unlikely to make major changes to it before the regular season.

According to one person familiar with the league’s inner workings, rulemakers do not expect to significantly change the language of the rule, nor do they plan to expand the use of instant replay to include all penalties assessed under the rule — and not merely those resulting in ejections.

If any changes are made, they apparently would be minor modifications meant to clarify the existing rule.

The rule, ratified by NFL owners in May and enacted for this season, makes it a 15-yard penalty for a player to lower his head and use his helmet to hit an opponent. A player is subject to a possible ejection, reviewable by replay, and could draw a fine or suspension for an egregious violation.

[During the NFL preseason, everyone is trying to figure out the new helmet rule]

Some players have complained about the application of the rule by officials in the early weeks of the preseason. The NFL has acknowledged there will be an adjustment period for players, coaches, officials and fans, comparing it to the adjustment that accompanied the league’s rules addressing hits to the head of defenseless players being put into place in the 1990s.

There has been speculation in recent days that the league might make significant adjustments to the rule before the regular season. But while discussions are expected to take place this week, the person familiar with the thinking of league leaders said: “No language will be changed.”

That person also said the use of replay in conjunction with the rule will not be expanded in a meaningful way.

Pro Football Talk reported Monday that the rule is to be discussed in a conference call Wednesday. ESPN reported that the league will issue a new teaching tape to update teams on the application of the rule in an attempt to clarify it.

A second person close to the situation also said that “no major changes” to the rule are expected. According to that person, Wednesday’s conference call of competition committee members will include an update of what has been learned through the first two weeks of preseason play and efforts will be made to achieve clarity and consistency in the application of the rule. But league leaders remain committed to eliminating that hitting technique from the game.

NFL leaders have said the new rule is a significant player-safety development and is designed to eliminate a technique that is dangerous to both the player receiving the hit and the player delivering hit. They have said the rule is designed to keep players from using the helmet as a weapon rather than as a protective device.

The rule was enacted after a 2017 season in which the number of concussions suffered by players increased and in which Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier suffered a spinal injury on a hit in a December game.

SMDH...

5 years?

Damn son
the only reason i did go was because of Grantland, then Simmons became too self aware and started getting annoying af

well i would also check for the NFC south section from ol boy...cant recall his name, but if you wanna know what's going on, just follow their twitter account

the only reason i did go was because of Grantland, then Simmons became too self aware and started getting annoying af

well i would also check for the NFC south section from ol boy...cant recall his name, but if you wanna know what's going on, just follow their twitter account

I might have to create another Twitter because I don’t remember any information for my old that’s like 10 years old

I might have to create another Twitter because I don’t remember any information for my old that’s like 10 years old
i strongly recommend following the local beat writers/bloggers for your sports info

WAY more informative and insightful

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...nouncer-bob-lamey-resigned-after-racial-slur/

Colts now admit “retired” announcer Bob Lamey resigned after racial slur

On Sunday, Colts owner Jim Irsay praised the team’s longtime radio announcer, Bob Lamey, who suddenly retired after three decades with the team. Now the story is a little different.

The Colts released a statement today acknowledging that what had been described as a retirement was actually a resignation, shortly after a coworker complained that Lamey used the N-word at work.

“Bob publicly acknowledged that last week he repeated an inappropriate word when telling a story,” the Colts said in a statement, via Bob Kravitz of WTHR. “He immediately apologized to the people who heard him use the word, and then promptly resigned. Bob has a long and storied history in our community, but he made a serious mistake. We are deeply disappointed the incident took place and offer our sincerest regrets to all who were impacted by Bob’s lapse in judgement.”

That statement is a far cry from what Irsay said on Sunday.

“Bob Lamey is a legend and icon, and his name is synonymous with Indianapolis Colts football,” Irsay said in his statement. “With his historic calls, familiar sayings and passion for football, he became part of the fabric of this entire community. No one has been more ‘Indianapolis’ than Bob Lamey. Even more so, he was very much a part of our team family, and he’s as dear to us as anyone who has ever worn the Horseshoe.”

So why did the Colts put out such a gushing statement about Lamey, given the circumstances that led to his departure? Perhaps they thought the full story wouldn’t get out. Thinking that was foolish. In this day and age, a story like that isn’t going to stay under wraps. The Colts and Irsay now look worse than they would have if they had acknowledged at the time that Lamey was resigning under pressure.

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-ne...ob-lamey-retired-after-using-racial-slur.html

The employee says Lamey used a racial slur off the air, in a conversation after a radio interview last Tuesday at Colts Camp. She says he was telling a story about when he worked at IMS, sharing what someone else said at the track. “He had asked me if the mics were off and I said, ‘Yeah, I turned everything off. You’re fine,'” the employee recalled. “Bob Lamey’s describing this person saying he was asked in an interview, ‘Do you think anyone’s holding back their speed at IMS during quals? Do you think anyone’s holding back?’ And that person had replied ‘there aren’t any ‘blank’ in this race.”

She says Lamey didn’t say “blank” in retelling that story, and used a racial slur. “He said the ‘N-word,’ yeah. He thought it was OK to use that type of language at work. He was like, ‘Oh I’m so so sorry. I’m so sorry if you’re offended by this. I didn’t mean to offend anyone’ and I was like ‘I’m black
and I wouldn’t ever say that word’ and sort of just told him how it hurt me and how I don’t think he should say it ever, even if he’s telling a story,” the radio employee said. “Then once he saw my face and realized he had messed up he had started really like profusely apologizing saying ‘Please don’t tell anybody.’ When I left he said it again, ‘Please don’t tell anybody. Don’t mention this to anyone’. I think he was apologizing so much because he knows it’s wrong and he knows that people lose their jobs for that
.”

Last edited:
We need to cut Bell and sign Reid.

He plays the exact position Bell plays in our defense but much much better

Back