Welcome To aBlackWeb

16 or 1?

But then you’re not doing multiplication and division from left to right

Must be 2 generations of math then.

Division is nothing more than a fraction.

Therefore, if you look at the equation as a fraction........then the answer is 1.

When you have an equation such as 2(2+2)...........it's counted as one entity.

Again, this is the way I was taught math.

Keep in mind, I finished high school in the mid-late 80's.

From what I've heard, math is taught a lot different today........but this is how I was taught.

That’s what I thought too. But then i thought about it, and the equation would be more accurately represented as 8 / {2(2 + 2)} ...

The way its written here, turns into 8 / 2 x 4 ..... multiplication doesn’t have priority over division so you go left to right.

Must be 2 generations of math then.

Division is nothing more than a fraction.

Therefore, if you look at the equation as a fraction........then the answer is 1.

Again, this is the way I was taught math.

Keep in mind, I finished high school in the mid-late 80's.

From what I've heard, math is taught a lot different today........but this is how I was taught.

lol

2(2+2)
2(4) = 8

A lot of people in here don't understand proper mathematical phrasing.

Math being taught a different way is when we are taught two different ways to get to the same result.

Math cant be taught different ways where we get two different results. That means one of us got taught wrong.

This is basic algebra and I believe the theory behind algebra was created in like 900 AD. The answer this this question being 16 hasnt changed since then and cant. The way we get to 16 can change but it will always be 16.

Last edited:
Math being taught different way is when we are taught two different ways to get to the same result.

Math cant be taught different ways where we get two different results. That means one of us got taught wrong.

This is basic algebra and I believe the theory behind algebra was created in like 900 AD. The answer this this question being 16 hasnt changed since then and cant. The way we get to 16 can change but it will always be 16.

Look, if the phrase in the opening post was simply 8..........you know what.......nvm

Y'all got it.

D'Angelo from The Wire clip.gif

Back