Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

8/2(2+2)

8/2(4)

now this is where everyone is having the problem, even though M comes before D in the saying, it goes in order from left to right in the same step, MD (or even DM) regardless, it’s whatever comes first within the sequence (same with AS; addition subtraction)

So it’s

4(4)

Which leaves us at 16

The answer cannot be 1, it’s done out of order and you cannot have two different answers both being correct.

Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

8/2(2+2)

8/2(4)

now this is where everyone is having the problem, even though M comes before D in the saying, it goes in order from left to right in the same step, MD (or even DM) regardless, it’s whatever comes first within the sequence (same with AS; addition subtraction)

So it’s

4(4)

Which leaves us at 16

The answer cannot be 1, it’s done out of order and you cannot have two different answers both being correct.

No i disagree

When it gets to 8 / 2(4) .... that 4 is directly attached to the 2. Somewhat like an exponent.

Otherwise, why wouldnt the equation be written as.... 8 / 2 * (2 + 2)

I believe by having the parenthesis attached to the 2, that means you have to multiply that first before you can utilize that number

8 / 2(2+2)
8 / 2(4)
8 / 8 = 1

I could think of real life examples to make my point clearer, as to why you might need to solve a variable and how it affects a certain number before you can factor it into the equation. But arguing over PEMDAS is pretty silly if that's the only point to this.

when I finally learned to do this shit they decided to switch it and one of them didnt count anymore in PEMDAS i cant remember which

No i disagree

When it gets to 8 / 2(4) .... that 4 is directly attached to the 2. Somewhat like an exponent.

Otherwise, why wouldnt the equation be written as.... 8 / 2 * (2 + 2)

I believe by having the parenthesis attached to the 2, that means you have to multiply that first before you can utilize that number

8 / 2(2+2)
8 / 2(4)
8 / 8 = 1

I could think of real life examples to make my point clearer, as to why you might need to solve a variable and how it affects a certain number before you can factor it into the equation. But arguing over PEMDAS is pretty silly if that's the only point to this.
View attachment ScreenRecord_20190730-235236.mp4

Back