Welcome To aBlackWeb

Breaking News ‘Multiple Casualties’ In Shooting At Pittsburgh Synagogue. Update: 11 people confirmed dead

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-c...t-blame-obama-for-charleston-church-massacre/

Trump Complains That Media Blames Him For Bomb Scares But Didn’t Blame Obama For Charleston Church Massacre

In the mind of President Donald Trump, it doesn’t compute why some people are blaming him for last week’s bomb scares while his predecessor was never blamed for the white supremacist who gunned down churchgoers in South Carolina.

Fox News’s Laura Ingraham interviewed the president on Monday night, and during the conversation, Trump refused to take any blame for the “insane” supporter of his who was arrested this past Friday for allegedly sending IEDs to the media and to the president’s critics. Instead, Trump invoked the justification his administration has relied on lately about how Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) was never blamed personally for the 2017 Congressional Baseball Shooting — which was carried out by a Sanders supporter.

From there, Trump complained that former president Barack Obama was never held responsible for the 2015 Charleston Church Shooting.

I was in the headline of the Washington Post, my name associated with this crazy bomber. Trump bomber or something. But I was in the headline… when they got him. They didn’t say ‘bomber found’ they talked about Trump in the headline. Now they didn’t do that with Bernie Sanders when he had – they didn’t do that with the Democrats when other people came at – they didn’t do that with President Obama with the church, the horrible situation with the church – they didn’t do that. They put my name in the headlines. When I say “enemy of the people” I’m talking about the fake news and it is fake.”

Coincidentally, UN ambassador and former South Carolina governor Nikki Haleyoffered this Monday night reflection on the Charleston massacre. In this case, she connected it to the recent conversations about whether Trump needs to accept responsibility for his contribution to the divided state of the nation.

Interestingly, Haley once alluded to Trump when she spoke of how divisive rhetoric can lead to tragedies like the church shooting.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-ramps-up-attacks-on-media

Trump Refuses To Be Consoler In Chief, Instead Escalates Attacks On Media

WASHINGTON (AP) — Grappling with a wave of election-season violence, President Donald Trump escalated his rhetoric against the news media on Monday even as he made plans for a somber visit to Pennsylvania to mourn a synagogue massacre that left 11 dead.

Days after the shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue and a mail-bomb scare targeting prominent Democrats and CNN, Trump argued that “fraudulent” reporting was contributing to anger in the country and declared that the press was the “true Enemy of the People.”

He complained Monday night that his comments had been misconstrued and that he had only been referring to the “Fake News (Media).” Trump has labeled a long list of media outlets “fake news” and often applies the moniker to stories he doesn’t like.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders continued in the same vein at a press briefing, saying: “The very first action that the president did was condemn these heinous acts. The very first thing that the media did was condemn the president, go after him, try to place blame.”

While Trump has condemned the Pennsylvania shootings as an anti-Semitic act and has decried political violence, he also has continued his political schedule over the past week and largely kept up his criticism against Democrats and the media. The White House has rejected any suggestion that the president’s harsh rhetoric contributed to the toxic moment.

And Sanders made clear Trump was unlikely to change course, saying the president will “continue to fight back” against critics.

Trump will travel to Pennsylvania on Tuesday with first lady Melania Trump. Sanders said Trump would go “to express the support of the American people and to grieve with the Pittsburgh community.”

The White House did not immediately provide further details on Trump’s trip, which drew mixed reactions in Pittsburgh.

Leaders of a liberal Jewish group in Pittsburgh penned an open letter to Trump before the White House announced the plans, saying he was not welcome in the city until he denounced white nationalism. But Rabbi Jeffrey Myers, of the Tree of Life synagogue, made clear he would be welcome, telling CNN: “The President of the United States is always welcome. I am a citizen. He is my president. He is certainly welcome.”

Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto, a Democrat, told reporters ahead of the announcement that the White House should consult with the families of the victims about their preferences and asked that the president not come during a funeral.

“If the President is looking to come to Pittsburgh, I would ask that he not do so while we are burying the dead. Our attention and our focus is going to be on them, and we don’t have public safety that we can take away from what is needed in order to do both,” Peduto said.

The White House did not immediately respond to the mayor’s request. Asked if Trump has done enough to condemn white nationalism, Sanders said he “has denounced racism, hatred and bigotry in all forms on a number of occasions.”

She added: “Some individuals — they’re grieving, they’re hurting. The president wants to be there to show the support of this administration for the Jewish community. The rabbi said that he is welcome as well.”

Throughout his Republican campaign and presidency, Trump has been an unrelenting critic of the media. Last week, the New York offices of CNN, the cable network frequently criticized by Trump and his supporters, was evacuated after receiving an explosive device and an envelope containing white powder.

CNN President Jeff Zucker said another suspicious package addressed to CNN was intercepted Monday at an Atlanta post office.

With eight days to go before the midterm elections, Trump has continued to hold his political rallies, complete with harsh criticism of Democrats and the media. He is planning an aggressive campaign schedule during the final days leading up to the Nov. 6 elections.

Trump complained Monday night that “CNN and others in the Fake News Business” were “purposely and inaccurately reporting” that he’d called the media the “Enemy of the People.”

“Wrong! I said that the ‘Fake News (Media) is the Enemy of the People,’ a very big difference,” he said.

At a rally Saturday night, Trump was somewhat muted but still offered his standard campaign attack lines against critics including Democrat Hillary Clinton and Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters, both of whom were targeted in the bomb plot. On Twitter on Sunday, he savaged billionaire businessman Tom Steyer, another target of the mail bombs, as a “crazed & stumbling lunatic.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/mixed-reaction-awaits-trump-at-synagogue-scarred-by-violence

Mixed Reaction Awaits Trump At Synagogue Scarred By Violence

PITTSBURGH (AP) — To Marianne Novy, President Donald Trump isn’t wanted “unless he really changes his ways.” For David Dvir, politics should take a pause for grief: “It’s our president, and we need to welcome him.”

Trump is once again called upon to step into the all-too-frequent role of national consoler after the worst instance of anti-Semitic violence in American history. He faces an uneasy welcome on Tuesday in the anguished community of Squirrel Hill, home to the Tree of Life synagogue where 11 people were gunned down during Sabbath services. The president’s visit to the Pittsburgh neighborhood, where Novy and Dvir live, comes as he struggles to balance appeals for national unity with partisan campaign rhetoric just a week before contentious midterm elections.

Trump said late Monday he was looking forward to the visit.

“Well, I’m just going to pay my respects,” Trump told Fox News Channel’s Laura Ingraham. “I’m also going to the hospital to see the officers and some of the people that were so badly hurt.”

Trump is traveling to the historic hub of the city’s Jewish community as the first funerals are scheduled to be held for the victims, who range in age from 54 to 97. He is expected to meet with first responders and community leaders. The death toll includes a set of brothers, a husband and wife, professors, dentists and a physician. It was not immediately clear whether Trump, who will be joined by first lady Melania Trump, daughter Ivanka Trump and son-in-law Jared Kushner, would meet with any family members.

The White House said the purpose of Trump’s visit was to “express the support of the American people and to grieve with the Pittsburgh community.”

Trump’s trip is set against the backdrop of national unease over incidents of political violence and hate, and questions about his credibility as unifier. Since his 2016 campaign for the White House, Trump has at times been slow to denounce white nationalists, neo-Nazis and other hate-filled individuals and groups that found common cause with his nationalistic political rhetoric.

In Squirrel Hill, Barry Werber, 76, who said he survived the massacre by hiding in a dark storage closet as the gunman rampaged through the building, said he hoped Trump wouldn’t visit, noting that the president has embraced the politically fraught label of “nationalist.” Werber said the Nazis were nationalists.

“It’s part of his program to instigate his base,” Werber said, and “bigots are coming out of the woodwork.”

Novy, 73, a retired college English professor, said she signed an open letter asking Trump not to come to Pittsburgh. “His language has encouraged hatred and fear of immigrants, which is part of the reason why these people were killed,” she said.

Just minutes before the synagogue attack, the shooter apparently took to social media to rage against HIAS, a Jewish organization that resettles refugees under contract with the U.S. government.

Dvir, 52, the owner of Murray Avenue Locksmith in Squirrel Hill, said of Trump, “I think he made some mistakes, but he is a great president.” He added that it would be “a shame” if the community protested the president’s visit.

Asked Monday if Trump has done enough to condemn white nationalism, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the president “has denounced racism, hatred and bigotry in all forms on a number of occasions.”

She added: “Some individuals — they’re grieving, they’re hurting. The president wants to be there to show the support of this administration for the Jewish community. The rabbi said that he is welcome as well.”

Local and religious leaders were divided on whether Trump should visit. Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto, a Democrat, told reporters ahead of the announced visit that the White House ought to consult with the families of the victims about their preferences and asked that the president not come during a funeral.

“If the president is looking to come to Pittsburgh, I would ask that he not do so while we are burying the dead,” Peduto said. “Our attention and our focus is going to be on them, and we don’t have public safety that we can take away from what is needed in order to do both.”

But Rabbi Jeffrey Myers, who was conducting Sabbath services at the Tree of Life synagogue when the shooter opened fire, made clear the president would be welcome, telling CNN: “The president of the United States is always welcome. I am a citizen. He is my president. He is certainly welcome.”

Shulamit Bastacky, 77, a Holocaust survivor and neighbor of victim Melvin Wax, expressed hope that fraught political issues and protests would not overshadow the remembrances.

“This is not the place to do it,” she said. “You can do the political part everywhere else. Not at this time. This would be like desecrating those people who were killed. They were murdered because they were Jews.”

“You can protest later on,” she added. “To me it’s sacred what happened here.”

Nikki Haley has to be the dumbest person associated with Trump. Most of the people affiliated with the Trump administration were either hacks that were glad to get whatever shine Trump could offer or corrupt people who didn't give a shit about anything other than fulfilling their own corrupt goals. Haley actually had political ambition. At one point, people actually looked at her as a rising star in the Republican party and she was actually reasonably well liked by Reps and Dems in SC. She's basically pissed all that away. When Trump is done and gone, the Trump sycophants aren't going to jump on her bandwagon and prop her up. She's not one of them. The people who were against Trump aren't going to accept her either because people will remember the dumb shit she said in defense of him.

It's not about there being a rush to see who keeps the #1 spot. The problem is a lot of people like to downplay the trauma of the black experience. It doesn't make any sense to say that we're number 2. You were basically implying that they would be coming for us next. That seemingly ignores the fact that a guy literally tried to pull the same shit at a black church a couple days before it happened at the synagogue. Nobody should want to be #1 on a hit list, but if you are #1, you better act accordingly or you'll get caught slipping.

I didn't imply anything because the post you responded to was my first post in the thread...I'm just saying anytime something like this happens i see some say something along the lines of "Don't forget we still got it bad"...like who the fuck would forget that. This being the worst thing to happen to Jewish people in this country does nothing to negate the history and present black folks dealt with and still deal with. Hence me saying 2 things can both be true...

https://www.mediaite.com/online/fam...ion-to-massacre-he-was-blaming-the-community/

Family of Synagogue Shooting Victim Rejects Trump Meeting Over Reaction to Massacre: ‘He Was Blaming the Community’

While politicians and Pittsburgh officials have turned down a meeting with President Donald Trump as he visits the city where a gunman killed 11 people in a synagogue shooting last week, the family of one of the victims is also declininga visit from the commander in chief.

Trump had offered to see the family of 71-year-old Daniel Stein, who was fatally shot at Tree of Life in Squirrel Hill on Saturday, but it declined partly because of the president’s suggestion that armed guards should be used to prevent future massacres, The Washington Post reported.

Stephen Halle, Stein’s nephew, told the Post the remarks didn’t sit well with anyone.

“Everybody feels that they were inappropriate,” he said. “He was blaming the community.”

Following Saturday’s anti-Semitic violence, Trump said, “If there was an armed guard inside the temple, they would have been to stop him,” even though police officers were fired upon as they responded to the scene.

Stein is one of four victims whose funeral was set for Tuesday.

I didn't imply anything because the post you responded to was my first post in the thread...I'm just saying anytime something like this happens i see some say something along the lines of "Don't forget we still got it bad"...like who the fuck would forget that. This being the worst thing to happen to Jewish people in this country does nothing to negate the history and present black folks dealt with and still deal with. Hence me saying 2 things can both be true...

My bad. I got you mixed up with the person I originally quoted, so I thought that's where you were coming from. You didn't quote my post out of context though. I wasn't just saying "Hey, we had it worse" for the sake of saying that. I was pointing out the error in the other person's thinking. His post implied that we'd be next, when in reality some of us could have been the first victims last week if not for the quick thinking by one of the deacons. We're not upcoming targets. We're targets right now.

The problem Trump just created for himself without even realizing it is he's now most likely on the JDL's shit list. They'll come tap him on the shoulder just to let him know he can be touched regardless of how much security he has around him. If he doesn't come out soon to condemn the attack and dead all that media-bashing bullshit he's doing he's gonna find himself in a whole heap of shit.

Lol idk why he even tried to come here somebody had a sign that said “It’s Your Fault” and it definitely is fuck that POS

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...ays-soros-hias-arent-victims-of-anti-semitism

Echoing Gunman’s Rhetoric, Gaffney Says Soros & HIAS Aren’t Victims Of Anti-Semitism

Islamophobe Frank Gaffney argued Tuesday that the Jewish philanthropist and Democratic donor George Soros and the refugee aide organization HIAS have not been the victims of anti-Semitism, despite the pipe bomb mailed to Soros last week and the Pittsburgh Synagogue shooter’s social media posts citing HIAS as a motive for allegedly killing 11 Jews.

In claiming that the two are not victims of anti-Semitism, Gaffney echoed the shooter’s online rhetoric that HIAS is responsible for bringing purportedly dangerous foreigners into the United States.

Rather than arguing the facts of the anti-Semitic ire focused against Soros and HIAS, Gaffney appeared to argue that their left-wing politics made them ineligible for such attacks. “Political violence is one, unacceptable form of political warfare. Lying for political advantage is another,” he said at the conclusion of his podcast Tuesday.

“Billionaire George Soros’ security detail got one of the so-called pipe-bombs and we’re told now he’s a ‘victim of anti-Semitism,’” Gaffney said on the podcast. “In fact, for years his funding has promoted hostility towards Israel and enabled the world’s most aggressive anti-Semites: rabid leftists and their Sharia-supremacist allies.”

He added: “The Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society was an object of the Pittsburgh shooter’s enmity. But this organization, another putative ‘victim’ of anti-Semitism, has long brought here inadequately vetted and potentially Jew-hating Muslim refugees – and savaged President Trump for opposing such practices.”

Gaffney currently leads the Center for Security Policy, an anti-Muslim think tank, but National Security Adviser John Bolton’s outgoing chief of staff will soon take over atop the organization.

Soros and has been the subject of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories for decades, most recently through a lie propagated by even some elected Republicans and conservative groups that he is funding migrants and asylum seekers currently making their way through Mexico toward the U.S. border. President Donald Trump has frequently falsely accused Soros of paying protesters.

Robert Bowers, the man charged with killing 11 Jews after opening fire in a Pittsburgh synagogue Saturday, obsessed over HIAS’ mission of aiding refugees in numerous anti-Semitic posts on the website Gab.

In fact, Gaffney’s assertion that HIAS “has long brought here inadequately vetted and potentially Jew-hating Muslim refugees” echoes Bowers’ last post online before the murders. Bowers wrote: “HIAS likes to bring invaders in that kill our people.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-pittsburgh-synagogue-shooting-visit

Trumps Don’t Get Typical Greeting From Local Officials During Pittsburgh Visit

PITTSBURGH (AP) — One stone and one rosebud for each victim.

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump paid solemn tribute Tuesday to each of the 11 people slain in the worst instance of anti-Semitic violence in American history. As the Trumps placed their remembrances outside the Tree of Life synagogue, protesters nearby shouted that the president was not welcome.

The Trumps first went inside the vestibule of the synagogue, where they lit candles for each victim before stepping outside. It was a marker of the political divisions roiling the nation in the aftermath of the Sabbath shooting that shouts of “Words matter!” and “Trump, go home!” could be heard from demonstrators gathered not far from where a gunman had opened fire on Saturday.

Rabbi Jeffrey Myers, who had been conducting services when the shots rang out, led the first couple outside and gestured at white Jewish stars posted for each victim. At each, the president placed a stone, a Jewish burial tradition, while the first lady added a flower. They were trailed by first daughter Ivanka Trump and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, who are Jewish.

Trump stepped into the role of national consoler, a title he wears uncomfortably, as he arrived in Squirrel Hill, the neighborhood where he faced an uneasy welcome. Flowers, candles and chalk drawings filled the nearby corner, including a small rock painted with the number “6,000,011,” adding the victims this week to the estimated number of Jews killed in the Holocaust.

Squirrel Hill resident Paul Carberry, 55, said Trump should not have visited until the dead were buried, and he decried the president’s divisive rhetoric.

He didn’t pull the trigger, but his verbiage and actions don’t help,” Carberry said. Hundreds of protesters assembled to show their displeasure with Trump’s presence.

When Air Force One touched down at the airport outside Pittsburgh, the Trumps were not greeted by the usual phalanx of local officials that typically welcomes a visiting president, a reflection of controversy surrounding the visit.

Local and religious leaders were divided on whether Trump should have come.

Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto, a Democrat, told reporters before the visit was announced that the White House ought to consult with the families of the victims about their preferences and asked that the president not come during a funeral. Neither he nor Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf planned to appear with Trump.

As his motorcade wound through downtown Pittsburgh, some onlookers saluted the president with upraised middle fingers and others with downturned thumbs. Scattered protest signs included messages

The White House invited the top four congressional leaders to join Trump in Pennsylvania, but none accompanied him.

A spokesman for Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he already had events in his home state of Kentucky, pushing back on the suggestion that he declined. Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan’s office said he could not attend on short notice. Democratic Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Democratic House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi also opted not to participate.

Questions have long swirled about the president’s credibility as a unifier. Since his 2016 Republican campaign for the White House, Trump has at times been slow to denounce white nationalists, neo-Nazis and other hate-filled individuals and groups that found common cause with his nationalistic political rhetoric.

Trump traveled to the historic hub of the city’s Jewish community as the first funerals were held for the victims, who range in age from 54 to 97. The dead include a set of brothers, a husband and wife, professors, dentists and a physician. It was not immediately clear whether Trump would meet with any family members.

Those who live in the tight-knit community were uncertain about whether they wanted the presidential visit. To Marianne Novy, Trump wasn’t wanted “unless he really changes his ways.” For David Dvir, politics should take a pause for grief: “It’s our president, and we need to welcome him.”

Barry Werber, 76, who said he survived the massacre by hiding in a dark storage closet as the gunman rampaged through the building, said he hoped Trump wouldn’t visit, noting that the president has embraced the politically fraught label of “nationalist.” Werber said the Nazis were nationalists.

“It’s part of his program to instigate his base,” Werber said, and “bigots are coming out of the woodwork.”

Novy, 73, a retired college English professor, said she signed an open letter asking Trump not to come to Pittsburgh. “His language has encouraged hatred and fear of immigrants, which is part of the reason why these people were killed,” she said.

Just minutes before the synagogue attack, the shooter apparently used social media to rage against HIAS, a Jewish organization that resettles refugees under contract with the U.S. government.

Dvir, 52, the owner of Murray Avenue Locksmith in Squirrel Hill, said of Trump: “I think he made some mistakes, but he is a great president.” He added that it would be “a shame” if the community protested the president’s visit.

Asked Monday if Trump had done enough to condemn white nationalism, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the president “has denounced racism, hatred and bigotry in all forms on a number of occasions.”

Beth Melena, campaign spokeswoman for Wolf, said the governor did not plan to return to Pittsburgh as part of Trump’s visit on Tuesday. She said he based his decision on input from the victims’ families, who told him they did not want the president to be there on the day their loved ones were being buried.

“Community leaders expressed to the governor that they did not feel it was appropriate for Trump to come, so the governor made a decision not to join him on his visit out of respect for the families and the community,” Melena said.

Back