Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Working with white folks

My current job is like 90% black and like all jobs its got a share of bullshit but not that bad. Eventually im have to get another career and realized I havent been anywhere where its vast majority of white folks around me all day in my adult life. Im a reserved dude overall but I gotta ask yall corporate types and folks that live near white folks how do you deal with it?

Certain shit of course will never be discussed like politics and policeband race

It would behoove you to learn to code switch.

Also, if you haven't learned by now, don't trust any of your co workers. They are not your friends. The only difference with working with white people is, they're much more conniving in how they'll stab you in the back.

Once you learn their language, it'll be a breeze. Hence, code switching.

All in all, same shit different toilet.

Watch what you do and say around them. They will bring it up first chance they get.

Also white people love to tell you their personal business so be prepared to hear their life story at any point they run into you.

Lol white lady i work with freely told us her hippa issues. All of them.

It would behoove you to learn to code switch.

Also, if you haven't learned by now, don't trust any of your co workers. They are not your friends. The only difference with working with white people is, they're much more conniving in how they'll stab you in the back.

Once you learn their language, it'll be a breeze. Hence, code switching.

All in all, same shit different toilet.

I can do that. Call center work makes one master the fake voice and parents told me dont trust co workers too much. Get disappointed

Just shut up and do your job...itll speak for itself

Some people dont like me cuz I dont do lunches or after work functions or even stop by peoples office to talk

They know my family but not my business and it's been that way for 8 years

I've watched several black people (well, women) come in and out because they got comfortable and acted like themselves a lil too much

I'm positive my anti social, work above all attitude is what has kept me around....I pull my work face on, give em 9 hours of me and I'm gone....old school back blasting and blunts lit up before I'm even out the parking lot

i work around a majority of white people.
they are everywhere in my industry.
but they are not as smart i you would think.
Them not being as smart as you would think is so true, but I've ran into all races where this is the case.

Some whites though will speak as if they are smart to the point you're convinced. At least until you start understanding the work and see that they don't know shit. Then when y0u start challenging them they start to work on getting you out of there.

Annoying repetitive ass small talk

“Is it Friday yet?”

“How it’s going Bill?” “Oh just living the dream!”

Amazing...I hear this everyday verbatim! Like others said, learn to code switch and don't get cliqued up with them.. be prepared to learn about their entire life.. But don't reciprocate. They are klannish so once you do things different from them, they'll isolate you socially... That's why it's important to do like 1/2 said and put the work above. Also remember that your assertiveness is threatening coming from a black man.. pay close attention to office politics and learn how to play the game.

As already stated, don't trust them

Stay out of their petty ass office politics

They usually not as smart as the pretend to be. Used to skating thru life on their skin color

White women are touchy feely as fuck and always looking for attention. Be very careful around them.

its already been stated but can't be stressed enough to don't do office after work functions and office politics

- do not be friends on any social media platform (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc)
- don't discuss politics, religion and salary
- don't discuss what type of significant purchase (house, car, etc) you made bc that will be used a point of conversation where they feel they can come up and start talking to you. That can also be used to gauge whether or not you need the job, for example "313 just bought a home.....he aint going anywhere......let's get him to do more work"
- "Hello" or "Hows It Going", "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon" "Good Evening" "Wow...", should be the only nonwork-related verbal exchanges......that may come across as anti-social or whatever but it keeps you out of office-related drama

I work with Poles in a blue collar industry. A lot of what you guys have experienced seems more like Anglo-Saxon / office type shit

I type fast, accurate; they get flustered. As others have stated, go to work and work, be productive and you'll be fine

Back