Welcome To aBlackWeb

Will Smith’s Casting as Venus and Serena Williams’ Father Sparks Colorism Backlash

its not a line, King

you think Will Smith came out the house for cheap???

why do you get up in the morning? to make art that perfectly aligns with truth?

I know what gets me going

every "true story" movie that comes out, the people being portrayed always say there's something that got changed or didnt happen this way or got left out.....IT IS A MOVIE.....entertainment....its for Tinseltown, not NBC Dateline

not just a black thing either.....Whitey Bulger's boys all said that Black Mass was bullshit.....it made $99M against a $53M budget....thats barely what they were shooting for but still good money....full truth told or not

@1/2 you not adjusting for our variables here. black ppl get tired of having glaring pieces of their own stories altered or changed for no real reason. Choices like that kill movies in their tracks. How much money you think that nina movie lost out on cuz we wasn't bout to watch that shit. This ain't the 90s. Will ain't box office gold anymore. He doesnt need to be in it for the project to turn a profit.

Oh look here's a pretty popular dark skinned guy with acting skills and wont hurt profits by casting him

Chadwick-Boseman.jpg

These mfs dont even be trying then wana get mad at us for not fucking with the product lol

@1/2 you not adjusting for our variables here. black ppl get tired of having glaring pieces of their own stories altered or changed for no real reason. Choices like that kill movies in their tracks. How much money you think that nina movie lost out on cuz we wasn't bout to watch that shit. This ain't the 90s. Will ain't box office gold anymore. He doesnt need to be in it for the project to turn a profit.

Oh look here's a pretty popular dark skinned guy with acting skills and wont hurt profits by casting him

Chadwick-Boseman.jpg

These mfs dont even be trying then wana get mad at us for not fucking with the product lol
We wasn't watching that movie anyway lol. As for Chadwick. He might have turned down the role as other may have and WIll was like I'll do it. Chad already played others in a biopic and I am sure that he does not want to be typed cast. He has Black Panther now anyway, which is a much bigger pay day. At the end of the day Will is a black man. His skin complexion is not an issue. He is not badge like me so it should not be a big deal lol.

We wasn't watching that movie anyway lol. As for Chadwick. He might have turned down the role as other may have and WIll was like I'll do it. Chad already played others in a biopic and I am sure that he does not want to be typed cast. He has Black Panther now anyway, which is a much bigger pay day. At the end of the day Will is a black man. His skin complexion is not an issue. He is not badge like me so it should not be a big deal lol.
Lol I wasn't posting Chadwick to say that's who they should get...I'm just saying it's not as hard as they making it out to be to get people that fit basic criteria when it comes to our shit. They can change whatever they want for cinematic purposes but can we get the little shit right at least?

Lol I wasn't posting Chadwick to say that's who they should get...I'm just saying it's not as hard as they making it out to be to get people that fit basic criteria when it comes to our shit. They can change whatever they want for cinematic purposes but can we get the little shit right at least?
The priority of movies is to make money. Will is still a notable name compared to who they could get. Will, Denzel or Sam.

Speaking of colorism...

Talk has it he ain't returning as Deadshot in Suicide Squad 2

Idris Elba is being touted to replace him

Reactions: 1/2
I see what Gabi saying tho. When the complexion of a character skin or hair color was apart of who they were it needs to be accurate. Like Malcolm was known as red if they didnt at least make his hair red it would be wild. Or say a person they doing the movie on was darkskin and they got joked on for it. You would have to include that in the movie

Yeah will is more than capable of playing that role but let's be real visually these actots atleast have to have a few similarities with looks of their character....Chadwick is dope but he shouldn't have played Thurgood Marshall he looked nothing like him

We our own worst enemy

To be real, having Will in it is huge.

What super black dude they should get that is a better actor than Will
Will Smith’s time has come and gone, and having him in a film no longer guarantee’s asses in the seats.

There are any number of talented dark skin brothers who can perform in this role.

That’s some Old white people shit to keep pulling the Sidney Poitier black guy out their asses.

Speaking of colorism...

Talk has it he ain't returning as Deadshot in Suicide Squad 2

Idris Elba is being touted to replace him

he wasnt kicked out though. He wanted to do it but doesnt have the time and DC wants the movie soon.

Idris a much better choice anyway.

Black ppl mad about black ppl from Europe getting movie roles

Black ppl mad about a black man playing a darker black man.

Will Smith acting >>>>>> whoever else they was going to get

Aint like they getting a white man. Will Smith is a black man

Black Americans get mad that black Europeans get roles but Its rare to see black Americans show that energy when an American is playing an African etc

It's mad Evey black experience is different but not to the extent everyone thinks.

I definitely sees your point But in this situation being dark skinned matters because how white tennis is the traditions attitude etc this has really affected the Williams family boycotting indian Wells for example and to this day they're still fighting for respect

I'm struggling to find a whole black male entertainer who hasn't worn a dress...

Even those that I wouldn't have thought to..

Back