Welcome To aBlackWeb

Will Smith’s Casting as Venus and Serena Williams’ Father Sparks Colorism Backlash

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Will Smith is at the center of controversy following a report from Deadline that says he is attached to play Venus and Serena Williams’ father and tennis coach Richard Williams in an upcoming biopic titled “King Richard.” The spec script for the film written by Zach Baylin reportedly earned a lot of attention and was picked up by Tim White and Trevor White to produce through their Star Thrower Entertainment banner. Smith is also producing through Overbrook Entertainment.

The story of Richard Williams is notable as he had no prior tennis experience before coaching Venus and Serena, inarguably two of the greatest tennis players in history. While telling Williams’ story may be exciting, the reported casting of Smith in the main role has led to backlash and accusations of colorism. Sports writer Clarence Hill Jr. went viral on social media after bringing attention to the casting, writing, “Colorism matters. Love Will Smith but there are other black actors for this role.”

Clarence Hill Jr. was supported by the likes of film writers Valerie Complex (she described the casting as “colorism at work”) and George M. Johnson, who wrote, “Just like Chadwick [Boseman] shouldn’t have played Thurgood Marshall, Will should not play Richard.”

Colorism describes prejudice or discrimination of same-race people based solely on skin color. Many have pointed out the obvious that Smith’s lighter skin tone does not match Richard Williams’s darker skin tone. As Johnson pointed out, Chadwick Boseman faced similar backlash over his casting as Thurgood Marshall. Zoe Saldana’s casting as Nina Simone in the biopic “Nina” was also met with colorism controversy. In that film, darker makeup was applied to Saldana so that her lighter skin tone could match Simone’s.

i get it but gaht damn mane

they spent that bread on will because they want a big name, good acting, and sales.....this is equivalent to a "radio record" in rap

there's always somebody who looks more like the role, doesnt mean they'll be better

I gotta wonder how much time they're gonna spend on Richard and Oracene getting together and living in Saginaw. My stepfather was friends with Oracene and IIRC they were by the crib a time or two back around 79-81.

I gotta wonder how much time they're gonna spend on Richard and Oracene getting together and living in Saginaw. My stepfather was friends with Oracene and IIRC they were by the crib a time or two back around 79-81.

so who's gone play lil koncept if they run that part?

Black ppl mad about black ppl from Europe getting movie roles

Black ppl mad about a black man playing a darker black man.

Will Smith acting >>>>>> whoever else they was going to get

Aint like they getting a white man. Will Smith is a black man

To be honest, I think successful blacks should put on as many nigs as possible, so I would have gone for an unknown.

Mahershala wudda been good

You think they doing this shit for free?

They wanna make some money so they got a BLACK MAN that can pull in a crowd.

Hes black so whats the problem. Yall acting like Will is Klay Thompson type of black

so who's gone play lil koncept if they run that part?

Prolly Dallas Dupree Young with a big ass afro wig.

Aside from showing Oracene at a Kwanzaa celebration back then I can't think of a reason to have the fam in it.

You think they doing this shit for free?

They wanna make some money so they got a BLACK MAN that can pull in a crowd.

Hes black so whats the problem. Yall acting like Will is Klay Thompson type of black

That I'm discussin' this means I have an opinion, but it doesn't mean I think it's a big deal at all.

Colorism is an issue and they wouldn't have chosen a lightskin actor if it wasn't, in my opinion

Last edited:
Back