Welcome To aBlackWeb

Why Don't People Read??

Yeah... Thing is classicaly that'sv what the owner wants. He never wanted TV's in there. The setting is fixed so that people want to chill, talk, read, relax.

They got couches by a fireplace upstairs shit... It's a mad chill spot. I tell whoever in bmore to slide thru on the humble whenever, first round on me.... Before covid I was there 6 nights a week

Chicity came thru once,

I forget the one dude screen name, but he came thru regularly when he was stationed here.

So the spot is designed reader friendly which makes the whole thing like 10x worse ??

I’m mainly into fiction and historical fiction. But I have a few good book I ain’t really cracked yet and I’m tripping for not reading them

I mostly read fiction too.... Quietly and to myself. I like to be entertained by imaginative thrilling stories. Whether it be reading it watching it... Playing the video game. I like good stories.

My job at the bar had a little table by the door.... When I first started, one if the door guys I relieved has his lap top up, some school books... And was working on his shit between customers coming in..

And at the other door I found like 3 books in there from other previous door guys. The bar was also really laid back inside.... It wasn't out the norm to see customers reading and doing school work in there. We had no TVs and the music wasn't always loud. So it was a really cool atmosphere to get lost in your own world.

I prolly read like 50+ books and comics working there. I watched mad movies, tv series. One if the customers would sometimes bring that little portable nintendo and we'd legit be in that bitch playing Mario party or smash bros.... Shit was cool as fuck.

But no matter what I was doing..... Reading a book fucked with people the most. They had to say something. And most times it was the most ignorant shit they thought they could cover up.

"Wow, a book? Good for you"
"I never would expect to see a guy like you reading a book"
"Well isn't this a surprise, are you in school?"
"Oh you read books? Well let me tell you about this one book I read. It's literally the only book I've read in the past 10 years, and even though it's a non fiction self help, and you're reading some fantasy fiction about vampires and aliens.. But they both have words. And I'm sure you'll like that"

Didn't matter what race either. Black folks, white folks, Asians, middle east niggaz.... Everybody always had something to say about me reading. Shit used to get on my nerves. I eventually stopped.

I did last call one night, came back to my seat, and two drunk white girls thought it was funny to steal my book. By the time I got back they were gone.....

Shit was the worst, I just stopped reading in there. When people who were used to me reading asked what happened... I'd just say

"The world ain't ready for a black man that reads ??‍♂️"

That shit be annoying like bitch just cuz I’m security don’t mean I’m stupid

I was reading my kindle on the train once when some white woman mentioned to her friend some shit about ppl reading just to look good while I'm sitting right there, like I'm posing and fronting. I can't help but feel that wouldn't have been said if I wasn't black. ignorant shit.

It's like if u don't read, they think "yeah obviously".

But if u do read, thereby effectively defying the stereotypes these fools believe, then they gotta make an excuse in order downplay your attempts to learn and better yourself. Either that or like duwop mentioned they belittle u in a condescending way.

So u can't win either way with them.

Of course, ultimately we ain't doing it for anyone else but ourselves (or through our growth, whoever and whatever cause we can help). Those ignorant ppl can kick rocks.

Last edited:
Faster ways of collecting info i think..audio and visuals are superior for most because we a learn how to process these well before we learn how to read.

Once the ability to record audio and video was invented i figure literature started to take a backseat..more in tune with our 5? Senses

Pure conjecture on my part...also the other 2 can be accessed whe doing other tasks..reading requires more focused? Attention

Faster ways of collecting info i think..audio and visuals are superior for most because we a learn how to process these well before we learn how to read.

Once the ability to record audio and video was invented i figure literature started to take a backseat..more in tune with our 5? Senses

Pure conjecture on my part...also the other 2 can be accessed whe doing other tasks..reading requires more focused? Attention
Ok I feel and understand this, but at the same time the more focus required leads to a better absorption of whatever you're studying.

Back