Welcome To aBlackWeb

Why Don't People Read??

Paper books are more traditional to me audio wise seems like a teacher reading a book

the problem with audiobooks is that, even though they’ve been a thing for a while, not all authors understand that it REALLY matters who reads the audio for the audiobook. It came make it or break it.

not everyone is equipped.

Da fuck you doing reading books while working security at a bar nigga..

Nut ass freak bull
Yup, this exactly why I was bout to smack niggaz...

If I'm sitting there playing with my phone... People walk by and mind their business. But if you reading a book it makes people wanna say the dumbest shit out their mouth. And I wasn't for it

Folks don’t read.

To many post on IG, Snap Chat, FaceBook, Twitter, TicTock. Where folks finding the time?

I could be wrong and IDK but it seems to me that people like to collect books to put on their shelves for their collection and never read them but then you got some people who read some books.

I never buy too many books at a time that I know I wouldn't read them all. So, I buy a few books here and there to make sure I read those first before buying more.

Yeah some people do be trying to put on a front like with everything else. Me personally I can jump a little ahead of myself with my books but thats cuz I'm just big eyed towards the knowledge so to speak. I get to all of it eventually though ??

With your phone you don’t need to hold a book. People can read whatever they want at anytime. Don’t matter if it’s a article or a old book. You can have a book read to you on YouTube and other sites. The need of holding a physical book is no longer there. I was reading Rick Ross book off a PDF that someone uploaded. I remember reading Decoded and The Big Pay Back off someone literally scanning the page and uploading the image. A physical book is irrelevant at this point. A lot of people read, it’s just what they choose to read and how the choose to read it.

Yeah I feel you I definitely exploit the convenience of ebooks. Got nook, Kindle, and scribd on deck. The easy accessibility almost makes you overbook so to speak like I was saying before lol. And despite all of this I'm sure a lot of people read but A LOT of people don't.

Last edited:
I mostly read fiction too.... Quietly and to myself. I like to be entertained by imaginative thrilling stories. Whether it be reading it watching it... Playing the video game. I like good stories.

My job at the bar had a little table by the door.... When I first started, one if the door guys I relieved has his lap top up, some school books... And was working on his shit between customers coming in..

And at the other door I found like 3 books in there from other previous door guys. The bar was also really laid back inside.... It wasn't out the norm to see customers reading and doing school work in there. We had no TVs and the music wasn't always loud. So it was a really cool atmosphere to get lost in your own world.

I prolly read like 50+ books and comics working there. I watched mad movies, tv series. One if the customers would sometimes bring that little portable nintendo and we'd legit be in that bitch playing Mario party or smash bros.... Shit was cool as fuck.

But no matter what I was doing..... Reading a book fucked with people the most. They had to say something. And most times it was the most ignorant shit they thought they could cover up.

"Wow, a book? Good for you"
"I never would expect to see a guy like you reading a book"
"Well isn't this a surprise, are you in school?"
"Oh you read books? Well let me tell you about this one book I read. It's literally the only book I've read in the past 10 years, and even though it's a non fiction self help, and you're reading some fantasy fiction about vampires and aliens.. But they both have words. And I'm sure you'll like that"

Didn't matter what race either. Black folks, white folks, Asians, middle east niggaz.... Everybody always had something to say about me reading. Shit used to get on my nerves. I eventually stopped.

I did last call one night, came back to my seat, and two drunk white girls thought it was funny to steal my book. By the time I got back they were gone.....

Shit was the worst, I just stopped reading in there. When people who were used to me reading asked what happened... I'd just say

"The world ain't ready for a black man that reads ??‍♂️"

I mostly read fiction too.... Quietly and to myself. I like to be entertained by imaginative thrilling stories. Whether it be reading it watching it... Playing the video game. I like good stories.

My job at the bar had a little table by the door.... When I first started, one if the door guys I relieved has his lap top up, some school books... And was working on his shit between customers coming in..

And at the other door I found like 3 books in there from other previous door guys. The bar was also really laid back inside.... It wasn't out the norm to see customers reading and doing school work in there. We had no TVs and the music wasn't always loud. So it was a really cool atmosphere to get lost in your own world.

I prolly read like 50+ books and comics working there. I watched mad movies, tv series. One if the customers would sometimes bring that little portable nintendo and we'd legit be in that bitch playing Mario party or smash bros.... Shit was cool as fuck.

But no matter what I was doing..... Reading a book fucked with people the most. They had to say something. And most times it was the most ignorant shit they thought they could cover up.

"Oh you read books? Well let me tell you about this one book I read. It's literally the only book I've read in the past 10 years, and even though it's a non fiction self help, and you're reading some fantasy fiction about vampires and aliens.. But they both have words. And I'm sure you'll like that"

Didn't matter what race either. Black folks, white folks, Asians, middle east niggaz.... Everybody always had something to say about me reading. Shit used to get on my nerves. I eventually stopped.

I did last call one night, came back to my seat, and two drunk white girls thought it was funny to steal my book. By the time I got back they were gone.....

Shit was the worst, I just stopped reading in there. When people who were used to me reading asked what happened... I'd just say

This. creative storytelling really moves me. I'll pay good money to read or watch something that actually makes me FEEL something.

Almost got into several fights at my bar because I used to read books there.

People are ignorant as fuck and my patience for ignorance in my face is very low. ESPECIALLY when it's targeted towards me.

Sad shit smfh, wonder how some of those instances unfolded. Most folk irrational as fuck and trying to operate rationally in certain cases exacerbates the issue. Sad case but true.

Tired of niggas that just read ' The Art Of War' & ' 48 Laws Of Power', then think they read every book ever and are qualified to lead every convo on everything.

Sad shit smfh, wonder how some of those instances unfolded. Most folk irrational as fuck and trying to operate rationally in certain cases exacerbates the issue. Sad case but true.
I listed some of the dumb shit they say in my other post, but the worst two were this young black dude who was coming in with his white gf and I guess at his place in life he was trying to seem tough or hood.... And I guess me reading a book made me look less hood than him I dunno.... But he was acting like he was happy for me, like me reading was stunting on niggaz and how niggaz where he from don't read.

I was like word? They don't read where you from? Where you from?

And he was like stuck he was trying to explain himself... And I was talking over him like I'm from Edmondson Village, you know where that is...I was raised by niggaz who stayed going in and out of prison and they all read. Some of my best recommendations from old school black authors like Donald Goines and Iceberg Slim came from old head hood niggaz...so again what ignant ass place you come from where niggaz don't read. He finally admitted he was from one of them corny ass county nieghborhoods where is mostly poor white people....so I just laughed and said I bet they don't read around there...

Homie was mad as fuck.. So I stood up like. What??

The other was the "good for you" comment from this little white girl....

I kept repeating it to her as if a question....

Good for you?

Her and friends were getting all nervous and the white boy says she didn't mean anything about it. And I'm like you mean to tell me you see a grown ass man who's 10+ years older than you reading a book and your response is "good for you"? Like I just learned the shit over night or something. I prolly read more books than you did in your whole life before you knew how to spell your name.... Your comment was really fucking tone deaf.

Then he was was like " way to be an ass"

I was like, a 22 year year girl just congratulated a 35 year old man on his ability to read a book, and I'm the asshole.... Man go have a drink before you get yourself in trouble.

They didn't stay long.... The bartenders always backed me on shit like that

Whoa bro that's some sad ass shit smfh. Already know what it is masses is programmed dumbasses in large against anything intellectual but??. Harrassed your ass so bad you stopped damn, and seem like you worked at more a mixed upper scale spot right

Whoa bro that's some sad ass shit smfh. Already know what it is masses is programmed dumbasses in large against anything intellectual but??. Harrassed your ass so bad you stopped damn, and seem like you worked at more a mixed upper scale spot right
Yeah... Thing is classicaly that'sv what the owner wants. He never wanted TV's in there. The setting is fixed so that people want to chill, talk, read, relax.

They got couches by a fireplace upstairs shit... It's a mad chill spot. I tell whoever in bmore to slide thru on the humble whenever, first round on me.... Before covid I was there 6 nights a week

Chicity came thru once,

I forget the one dude screen name, but he came thru regularly when he was stationed here.

The other was the "good for you" comment from this little white girl....

I kept repeating it to her as if a question....

Good for you?

Her and friends were getting all nervous and the white boy says she didn't mean anything about it. And I'm like you mean to tell me you see a grown ass man who's 10+ years older than you reading a book and your response is "good for you"? Like I just learned the shit over night or something. I prolly read more books than you did in your whole life before you knew how to spell your name.... Your comment was really fucking tone deaf.

Then he was was like " way to be an ass"

I was like, a 22 year year girl just congratulated a 35 year old man on his ability to read a book, and I'm the asshole.... Man go have a drink before you get yourself in trouble.

They didn't stay long.... The bartenders always backed me on shit like that

People just be ridiculous as fuck. Pure nonsense, silly as hell like been saying. She obviously was trying you like you supposed to be illiterate or some something

Back