Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Why Do Some Black People Dislike Dr. Umar?

test
Curious question since I dont follow dude like that. Is Umar using his platform to point people in the right direction as far as raising awareness to representatives or people running to be representatives that can potentially affect the same change hes asking Kendrick to take on?

Sometimes he does mention people he's working with. Other times he just gets on a soapbox

He used his entire rap beef with Drake to say he’s that guy

His entire rap career is sayings he’s that guy.

Rocking the thorn crown is saying he’s that guy

I came name many more.

You making it sound like he’s using black plight and not doing anything and brushing it off because it’s just music

No I'm saying Kendricks music isn't this "documentation of Black plight super conscious" thing people want it to be. The Drake beef was him calling Drake a pedophile, stuck in 2nd chilldhood and a culture vulture. That's not exactly doing a deep dive into Black politics.

His 1st major album was basically just a story about a day him and his friends had. Everything after that has legit been him rapping about his own vices and demons and how they've corrupted his life. None of that is this examination of the social structure of Black people in this country or the world. It's music about him and him only. That's why I said if you actually listen to or read his lyrics it becomes clear. And it's not a slight on Kendrick. It's a slight on the fans for blatantly ignoring what he's saying.

I'll use Alright again...outside of a couple bars a song about Kendrick basically telling his mom he's out here getting high and fucking groupies is the basis of "Alright" yet people took 2 lines from the hook and turned it into a protest song.

Low hanging fruit there are actual black ppl in positions that can affect things

Go bother them
This is troublesome

Isn't he also a tax paying citizen? Why can't he use his platform to advocate for changes to the community that he himself still lives in

That's an identity fans tagged him with that he spent a good portion of his last album saying "stop. Im not that guy". Any actual reading or listening to his lyrics shows he's not on some political activist shit. Hell if anyone actually reads the lyrics to "Alright" it wouldn't be a protest song lol.
Fair but I also don't think you have to be a political activist to simply ask the mayor " what needs to be done to get some after school programs for the youth"

We are decades removed from the black panther party and the origins of why gangs were supposedly created. We simply cannot provide those resources we once could so why not ask the questions some people might be afraid to ask?

Just a thought brother

Man thats shit's like saying "Hey Marvin Gaye, loved the Whats Going On album.. but now its time for you to go out there and change the world!"

Gtfoh
😒

This is troublesome

Isn't he also a tax paying citizen? Why can't he use his platform to advocate for changes to the community that he himself still lives in
One he no longer lives in that community

2) he could but there are other blacks who can shift things those are the ones to focus on and call out

Not no rappity rap nigga

Fair but I also don't think you have to be a political activist to simply ask the mayor " what needs to be done to get some after school programs for the youth"

We are decades removed from the black panther party and the origins of why gangs were supposedly created. We simply cannot provide those resources we once could so why not ask the questions some people might be afraid to ask?

Just a thought brother

Again I agree. I just don't think it's smart to throw that label or responsibility on somebody who we don't know if they're qualified or even want to do it. And that last part is key because stuff like that is more than just a side passion project like social media has turned it into. That type of activism is a full time thing you can't just hop in and out of.

What did Chuck D ever do to combat gentrification in Brooklyn?

These are all artistic personas my boy these ain’t the niggas to lean on for shit that matters

lol What can one dude do to combat gentrification? Chuck D is a rapper not a politician. You have to be careful about knocking people just because they aren't able to accomplish a goal. In some ways our system isn't designed for community activists to be successful.

So u just gonna say the same shit I said?
I didn't. You're saying they can't be leaned on. I'm saying be careful about that. He can't be leaned on to write policy to correct a problem, but that's not his role. He can give voice to an issue that allows it to be raised to the level where politicians feel the need to write policy. My point was that just because the system fails at some point doesn't mean that Chuck D can't be relied on to play his role.

I didn't. You're saying they can't be leaned on. I'm saying be careful about that. He can't be leaned on to write policy to correct a problem, but that's not his role. He can give voice to an issue that allows it to be raised to the level where politicians feel the need to write policy. My point was that just because the system fails at some point doesn't mean that Chuck D can't be relied on to play his role.
So we need a rappity rap nigga to do that ?
And Chuck D s job is to rap

Back