Welcome To aBlackWeb

Why do many black women have a problem with other women enhancing themselves to appeal to men

Beauty Nee

I'm a new member, I'm a woman also.

I have gone on twitter, youtube, several different black female centered message boards, blogs and websites.

For the life of me, I'm not sure if I understand why it bothers so many black women if another black woman decides to enhance her looks with surgery.

I don't believe that all women who do surgery are doing it for men. Not even the least.

Yet, there is so much judgment towards a black woman who has gotten a BBL, a tummy tuck, breast implants, liposuction, breast lift/reduction, a mommy makeover.

They are called things like "pick me" or "pickmesha". They're shamed for doing it to look better. They are made fun of for trying to appeal to men (like all women who are attracted to men try to appeal in some way). They feel like you shouldn't do anything to look good for a man or your man and if you do anything of thesr things, you hate yourself and are looking for the male gaze.

What gives?

I have gone on twitter, youtube, several different black female centered message boards, blogs and websites.

For the life of me, I'm not sure if I understand why it bothers so many black women if another black woman decides to enhance her looks with surgery.

I don't believe that all women who do surgery are doing it for men. Not even the least.

Yet, there is so much judgment towards a black woman who has gotten a BBL, a tummy tuck, breast implants, liposuction, breast lift/reduction, a mommy makeover.

They are called things like "pick me" or "pickmesha". They're shamed for doing it to look better. They are made fun of for trying to appeal to men (like all women who are attracted to men try to appeal in some way). They feel like you shouldn't do anything to look good for a man or your man and if you do anything of thesr things, you hate yourself and are looking for the male gaze.

What gives?
I don't know all the particulars as it relates to the vernacular being used but it would appear that the black woman is one of the most copied people on the planet.

Other races of women are spending thousands of dollars to try and mimick what comes naturally to black women.

Now if you start talking about BBL's, I wouldn't consider that plastic surgery however, and maybe this is just a biproduct of social media, a lot of these women are getting BBL's, fat transfers, etc and getting on IG trying to post workout videos like they got it naturally.

That's all I got

I don't know all the particulars as it relates to the vernacular being used but it would appear that the black woman is one of the most copied people on the planet.

Other races of women are spending thousands of dollars to try and mimick what comes naturally to black women.

Now if you start talking about BBL's, I wouldn't consider that plastic surgery however, and maybe this is just a biproduct of social media, a lot of these women are getting BBL's, fat transfers, etc and getting on IG trying to post workout videos like they got it naturally.

That's all I got

Idk fam.

seem like all races women coping each other. At a high rate.

From hair to body to clothing

What gives?

Cosmetic surgery is like black women and weave. If you asked one why they wear it you're gonna hear 'coz it looks nice' but is that the full answer?

If it's a lil sutten to straighten things out after weight loss one thing but I'm against most cosmetic surgery.

What gives?

I believe the answer you are looking for is haters.

Haters.

Also, why don't men seek cosmetic surgery in the same way women do? Could it be that patriarchy is the reason so many women are so unhappy with their bodies they pay for mutilation? It's a fair argument imo
Men’s value tend to go above looks. A rich ugly dude or famous dude can get ladies. Dimes at that. We peacock with the two A’s . assets or access.

I would not quite blame patriarchy here.

I think it’s trying to appeal to resources and the men that have them.

A rich man tend to have his options. How can you compete when a man has so many options?
If you a skinny chick and he likes big asses....you need to compete if you want him.

The flip side is to stunt on other women. To be the lady that gets all the attention.

There is no one answer. Some People are judgemental, mean, insecure. Then there are some who have a general concern for others. Just want to make sure the ladies getting work done are doing it for self reasons.

But that is just social media. These girls go outside and wont get that kind of talk to their face.

Idk fam.

seem like all races women coping each other. At a high rate.

From hair to body to clothing
I kinda see this but I still think black women lead the league in all statistical categories

Men laugh at, ridicule, and insult women with cosmetic surgery, all the time. Nobody questions it. But if a woman does it to another woman it's some weird taboo.

Fuck that those people ugly on purpose and only making themselves uglier on purpose. I was just making fun of one of those plastic perverts last week, and by the end of the month I'll fucking do it again.

Last edited:
Also, why don't men seek cosmetic surgery in the same way women do? Could it be that patriarchy is the reason so many women are so unhappy with their bodies they pay for mutilation? It's a fair argument imo
I think there are more women who are willing to be with guys who don't look like the cover of men's health than there are men who seek out chicks that look like the prototypical IG "model"

Also, I'll never forget that one episode of the old MTV my true life where a dude got pec implants and calf implants. That shit had to be over what 18 years ago?

I never thought we would be here at this point

Men laugh at, ridicule, and insult women with cosmetic surgery, all the time. Nobody questions it. But if a woman does it to another woman it's some weird taboo.

Fuck that those bitches ugly on purpose and only making themselves uglier on purpose. I was just making fun of one of those plastic perverts last week, and by the end of the month I'll fucking do it again.
Do you have to refer to them as bitches to make your point fam?

People can do what they want with their bodies, especially Black women. I have friends who have done weight loss surgeries and all, not my cup of tea. I got down 2 whole sizes just doing what I should’ve been doing in the first place but I’m not knocking anyone who needed the surgery for them. I have friends who talk about getting work done to their bodies and listen, if it makes them love themselves more... go for it.

Back