Who Ran Hip Hop In 1998

• Total voters
tumblr_n06dt22t491rqd0kpo1_r1_400.gif

If we're talkin #s

L Hill - 8x mill
Jigga - 5x mill
DMX /Master P - 4x mill
DMX 2nd album - 3x mill

Will Smith's Big Willie Style was released on Nov 25, 1997. It sold 9x platinum, which is more than Lauryn, Jay Z, No Limit and it probably outsold both DMX albums.

You might say Will Smith is commercial but you could play Get Jiggy With It at a club or cookout. Also, I doubt that there's one curse on the whole album.

Yea, Will had a great year, but i can't give him MVP cuz he had Nas and other niggas writing that shit.

Other than ‘Ruff Ryders Anthem’ nothing else from IDAHIH was getting commercial play (How’s It Goin Down later in the year). It was better than any No Limit album, but it was not fully getting played in the hood and in clubs until the fall of 1998. ‘Flesh Of My Flesh’ dropped at the end of 1998 and at that point, DMX took over the game for the next couple years.

I don’t know where most of you are from, but every vehicle, block, bbq, and club in the grimiest parts of Chicago and surrounding suburbs were bumping No Limit. Master P had them dropping a new CD damn near every week. It was nuts! Yes, a few songs from various artists like Hov and X were getting play, but No Limit had this shit on lock!

I want to give DMX the MVP more than anyone here, but since I’m giving an honest answer to the OP’s question..... I can’t.

Other than ‘Ruff Ryders Anthem’ nothing else from IDAHIH was getting commercial play (How’s It Goin Down later in the year). It was better than any No Limit album, but it was not fully getting played in the hood and in clubs until the fall of 1998. ‘Flesh Of My Flesh’ dropped at the end of 1998 and at that point, DMX took over the game for the next couple years.

I don’t know where most of you are from, but every vehicle, block, bbq, and club in the grimiest parts of Chicago and surrounding suburbs were bumping No Limit. Master P had them dropping a new CD damn near every week. It was nuts! Yes, a few songs from various artists like Hov and X were getting play, but No Limit had this shit on lock!

I want to give DMX the MVP more than anyone here, but since I’m giving an honest answer to the OP’s question..... I can’t.

Cmon fam, u think IDAHIH went 4x plat with no commercial play? lol

bolded

so Chitown B is from the suburbs then is what you trying to say

Will Smith's Big Willie Style was released on Nov 25, 1997. It sold 9x platinum, which is more than Lauryn, Jay Z, No Limit and it probably outsold both DMX albums.

You might say Will Smith is commercial but you could play Get Jiggy With It at a club or cookout. Also, I doubt that there's one curse on the whole album.

I used to hate when people say such and such is commercial.. because back then ..as it was some sort of scarlet letter.. as i knew then.. everything was "commercial" but DMX was a movement will had a great year he might have all the numbers and accolades but DMX was that nigga

Cmon fam, u think IDAHIH went 4x plat with no commercial play? lol
Yes it had commercial play, but it came later in the year. Ruff Ryders Anthem (spring thru winter) and How’s It Goin Down (fall thru winter).

No Limit dominance began at the end of 97 and was consistent through 98, which is why I gave them the nod.

Put it like this.....

No Limit - Dropped hits from January to December of 98

DMX - Dropped hits from May to December of 98

That’s how I made my decision.

Yes it had commercial play, but it came later in the year. Ruff Ryders Anthem (spring thru winter) and How’s It Goin Down (fall thru winter).

No Limit dominance began at the end of 97 and was consistent through 98, which is why I gave them the nod.

Put it like this.....

No Limit - Dropped hits from January to December of 98

DMX - Dropped hits from May to December of 98

That’s how I made my decision.

So chicago caught on late.

Over here (dc md va), DMX, Jayz and L.Hill was everywhere. NL was gettin SOME play, but the other 3 got way more play.

bolded

so Chitown B is from the suburbs then is what you trying to say
LOL....man Englewood, the 100s, the east side, and the west side were bumping No Limit 95% of the time with the other 5% being shared by Jay Z and DMX.

Back