Welcome To aBlackWeb

Who do you think are the gatekeepers of rap?

gatekeeper doesnt exist

its a culture and a lifestyle as a whole, but its also just a genre of music for some and people have to realize that...post crossing over is wack but how do reggae artists feel about snoop lion? lmao......is guns n roses feeling a lil wayne rock album?

music itself has evolved and people wanna try more then one thing

you can record, mix, produce, and drop nexts years rap album of the year from your house now.....aint no og or gatekeeper or label got shit to do with it

I remember meeting Grandmaster Caz at a Zulu Nation reunion about 10 years ago. I got a chance to talk to him. We spoke for about an hour.

He said that he was one of the pioneers of Hip Hop and that he was rapping before Rappers Delight came out. He felt that he, along with other pioneering groups should have some say, or be "gatekeepers". For example he said they (Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, Treacherous Three, Cold Crush, Afrika Bambaattaa & The Soul Sonic Force, Fearless Four, Funky 4+1, Crash Crew, Spoonie G, Master Don & The Def Committee, Kurtis Blow, etc.) didn't like NWA when they came out, but they didn't have any power to do anything about it.

He said they didn't like West Coast rap or G-Funk, but they didn't have any power to do anything about it. Ditto for No Limit or whatever movement that came out after the mid 80s.

Basically Caz felt like the pioneers (Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, Treacherous Three, Cold Crush, Afrika Bambaattaa & The Soul Sonic Force, Fearless Four, Funky 4+1, Crash Crew, Spoonie G, Master Don & The Def Committee, Kurtis Blow, etc.) should have more respect and have the power to make decisions regarding Hip Hop, but the reality is that they have zero authority regarding the art form that they created.

I think a lot of the problem is that those guys didn't go to college when they were 18. Rather than go to college, they followed their dreams and created Hip Hop. As a result in the mid-80s when everything was changing (Run DMC, Rush Management and Def Jam took over around 1984), they didn't have the business savvy to sit in a boardroom with record executives and express their ideas clearly.

Nobody with influence cares about "hip hop culture" over making money.

Any power player would love to have a post malone on his squad makin millions

This is true. The music industry is part of the Entertainment "BUSINESS". Who doesn't wanna make profit in a business?
Plus the internet has made it damn near impossible for certain people to not breakthrough and get poppin. If you got something catchy that goes viral you can "get going". Nothing so called gatekeepers can do about it

For example my stepson is 15 years old and him n all his friends are into trippie red, xxxtenccion and alot of them other dudes. They go on soundcloud, YouTube and attend their concerts. Fuck is a "Gatekeeper" supposed to do about that. I personally put my step son into older rap and he loves tupac and biggie music. But little niggas always gonna fuck w what's current and poppin

Back