Welcome To aBlackWeb

Who do you think are the gatekeepers of rap?

By gatekeepers, I mean actual rappers or people with actual influence?

People like post Malone continue to infiltrate the culture, get what they can, and leave when it's convenient. Why is this still a thing?

You would think the og's would step in and check these dudes but they seem to be co-signing the fuckery.

Is it the record companies? Who has the ultimate say so to determine who is allowed to benefit from the culture and who isn't? This isn't directed solely at white people either but anybody who out here not advancing the culture

the thing about the bolded is, EVERYONE in "the culture" can boycott mfs like that and it wouldnt make a dent in their earnings. because more times than not, its not "the culture" necessarily even supporting them. its kinda like in the sports world....casuals....

By gatekeepers, I mean actual rappers or people with actual influence?

People like post Malone continue to infiltrate the culture, get what they can, and leave when it's convenient. Why is this still a thing?

You would think the og's would step in and check these dudes but they seem to be co-signing the fuckery.

Is it the record companies? Who has the ultimate say so to determine who is allowed to benefit from the culture and who isn't? This isn't directed solely at white people either but anybody who out here not advancing the culture

Whats a rap og thats not an excutive gonna do?

Why does everyone hate Post Malone so much

What did that dirty white boy do?

Is it just envy?

This discussion is bigger than post Malone

But one thing you can do is not jump on any tracks with him

If he come up to your radio station, you press tf out of him

These are things that people who claim they respect the culture should do

Miley Cyrus did same thing that Post Malone did by separate herself from Certain Rap ... Only Queen Nicki Minaj stepped to her and said

upload_2018-12-6_22-39-35.gif

I'm still mad at Joey Bada$$ for writing Rockstar for him. Shouldn't have given that dirty white boy shit.

@Thor He plays up the stereotypes of rap to advance his career amongst his fans -- which annoyingly include a bunch of "dude bros" and "others". At the same time, he's also dissed the culture by saying, "If you're looking for lyrics, don't listen to hip-hop." He also claimed reverse racism when Charlamagne pressed him for being a trash ass culture culture.

Any white person that utters "reverse racism" needs their fuckin block knocked off.

i get what youre saying but, its not alot you can do at this point. yea, you can do your part and get a moral victory for yourself but i mean once hiphop/rap went mainstream and corporate it was a wrap.

you can not get on any tracks with him, buy his music, or whateveer...someone will, and be like "im just tryna eat/expand my fan base/like that song.." whatever reason they wanna give

Just wanna remind people that there is a video of a young post malone using the n word on YouTube

F*ck that suburban cracka

The current gatekeepers of Hip Hop are:

Jay Z
Nas
Funkmaster Flex
Vlad (like it or not)
N.O.R.E.
Lyor Cohen
Rosenberg
The Breakfast Club
Sway/Heather B

There's more, but if you get on those guys bad side, they can blacklist you in a heartbeat. Especially Funkmaster Flex, if he's not supporting you then you're blacklisted out of the whole Tri-State

I guess the question should be, "who SHOULD be the gatekeepers of hip hop"

i thought @Beta post was spot on

radio stations, while they might not be the go to medium they once were, they still have a very viable platform when it comes to keeping people in the know. When these dudes come up there, they should feel pressure the entire time. If they dont come back, thats a win

Sway and Heather B dont decide who is on Shade45 or who gets blacklisted.

They just work there. Those decisions come from higher up.
thats not the issue...although, i would say i thought he had more influence, but when they come, press them...simple as that

The gatekeepers are the og’s and vets who are thorough and are proven with a track record to match. When an OG say something these cats should take it and use it as motivation to improve. Instead they tucked their panties and complained about “old niggas hating”.

Labels don't have as much power anymore because social media and the platforms now have things feeling like the wild west.

Post Malone is popular because white audiences who may not traditionally listen to the grassroots style of hip hop can digest his pop laden hits easily. This is proof that Hip Hop is pop. A lot of the famous rappers are playboy carti, Russ, Travis Scott, Young Dolph, lil baby, 21 Savage, etc. These are rappers that made it from social media.

Artists now don't need labels to push them they just need a following over social media and the platform. That's why a lot of artists clout chase now.

Jay-Z , Spotify, Kanye, Travis Scott, J. Cole, Kendrick, Drake are definitely people the masses look up but as a gatekeeper ? When you say that I think of artists who can break other artists. Kanye can't even break an artist today, neither can Kendrick, Drake or Cole. Artists have to use social media to break themselves. All the biggest artists of the last 2-3 years broke themselves and opened the gate for themselves.
interesting pov

im saying, there needs to be a checks and balances

Back